New Soundboard Source for Osaka '71??

Xolo1974

G'day everyone. 

Just been on a particular website (cough BB ahem)....and there are posts in there for a soundboard source for this gig. The name of the boot is 929. The website says it's a lighthouse label but further digging suggests it is a Wendy. 

It's not the ful concert. About two thirds of it. 

I've had a listen and it seems a lot better quality than my version of the gig (I have the Winston version). 

I know there is a lot of conjecture about whether the existing sources are a sbd/stage mic whatever....but to me, this sounds like a genuine sbd. But then again, I'm no expert. 

Can anyone confirm if this is a new source?

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

Sounds better than my Winston and EVSD. It doesn't sound like a soundboard, but a really good audience.

Are there any boards from early Japan?

Just a teaser of one track,  Black Dog so far from Sep 28 '71 that was included on Empress valley's latest release Rock Carnival (Sep 23 '71). Prob more to come soon. 

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

Just a teaser of one track,  Black Dog so far from Sep 28 '71 that was included on Empress valley's latest release Rock Carnival (Sep 23 '71). Prob more to come soon. 

I can't understand how anyone would want to leak out a SBD track by track. Seems like a shit idea. Surely if there is a show, it would be better to release it.

Some clarifications here:

1. The show frequently called "929" is from a soundboard/line split, not a stage or audience source. Lots of bootlegs released for this one. It's the second Osaka show from September 29, 1971.

2. The first Osaka show on September 28, 1971 has a release called "928" that was just put out by the Lighthouse bootleg label. That release debuts a third audience source for the first Osaka show, with a complete Whole Lotta Love (finally!).  Just came out.

3. The first Osaka show also just had "Black Dog" from the soundboard released as a bonus track on a bootleg not too long ago. The same bootleg label also previously released other small soundboard bits from the show on a different release a few years ago.

Hi, there is no better topic as the much-loved 71 tour of Japan to start my forum activity.

The new Wendy release "Live In Japan 1971 929" from the 2nd Osaka show on Sept. 29. 1971 contains 6 Cds with full SB and AUD, is described as most completed version so far & promises huge upgrade in sound. (price about $ 200)

The sound sample indeed reveals an upgrade, Roberts voice is far more audible than ever, to my ears equal in the mix as it should be. But I am in doubt, if this is from the well known so-called soundboard source. Anyway, I am convinced because I simply love this show.

The description "Direct from the master" belongs to the Lighthouse release "928"- as perfectly explained by pluribus already. I am really suprised by this release, since Lighthouse is known for re-releases of familiar sources and shows.
Does anyone know how the sound of "928" is compared to "The Bachelor Boys` First Stand In Osaka" by EV?
The boot & the new third AUD source is not mentioned or graded in Argenteum Astrum` Database yet.

23 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

Hi, there is no better topic as the much-loved 71 tour of Japan to start my forum activity.

The new Wendy release "Live In Japan 1971 929" from the 2nd Osaka show on Sept. 29. 1971 contains 6 Cds with full SB and AUD, is described as most completed version so far & promises huge upgrade in sound. (price about $ 200)

The sound sample indeed reveals an upgrade, Roberts voice is far more audible than ever, to my ears equal in the mix as it should be. But I am in doubt, if this is from the well known so-called soundboard source. Anyway, I am convinced because I simply love this show.

The description "Direct from the master" belongs to the Lighthouse release "928"- as perfectly explained by pluribus already. I am really suprised by this release, since Lighthouse is known for re-releases of familiar sources and shows.
Does anyone know how the sound of "928" is compared to "The Bachelor Boys` First Stand In Osaka" by EV?
The boot & the new third AUD source is not mentioned or graded in Argenteum Astrum` Database yet.

The samples you posted from 929 definitely sound fuller and more dynamic than previous releases of the soundboard. May just be artificial enhancements or indeed a better generation of the tape source. Anyone know the skinny on this latest release from Wendy? 

On 1.11.2016 at 8:46 PM, Autumn Moon said:

It is already updated. I contacted the owner, he said he's extremely busy these days so he cannot updating his website often as in the past except for the new releases.

On 11/2/2016 at 0:33 PM, porgie66 said:

The samples you posted from 929 definitely sound fuller and more dynamic than previous releases of the soundboard. May just be artificial enhancements or indeed a better generation of the tape source. Anyone know the skinny on this latest release from Wendy? 

They are claiming that they used a lower generation tape of the soundboard. With the cuts and patches they list on the artwork, it looks like a version of the "2nd generation" soundboard tape, which cuts out during Thank You and misses the encores. The same one that Wendy used on their Definitive version, but supposedly a better source Those samples do really sound good, so maybe they really did get a lower generation version of that copy of the tape.  

Anyone buy this yet?

On 11.11.2016 at 9:55 PM, pluribus said:

They are claiming that they used a lower generation tape of the soundboard. With the cuts and patches they list on the artwork, it looks like a version of the "2nd generation" soundboard tape, which cuts out during Thank You and misses the encores. The same one that Wendy used on their Definitive version, but supposedly a better source Those samples do really sound good, so maybe they really did get a lower generation version of that copy of the tape.  

Anyone buy this yet?

I bought it already, but it is not delivered yet, may take another 10 days til it arrives. Haven`t heard about that this is a limited release, but I was told, that it is really hard to get. Only 3 label related shops are selling this cd-set. Anyway, I will report my impression as soon as I heard it, though I do not own the Fatally Wanderer Definitive version to compare. Also, I am curious about he AUD version since I only got  different "so called soundboard" releases yet. L. Rey mentioned an "amazing" third AUD source........ Exciting, I`ll wait and see.........

• 3 weeks later...
On 11.11.2016 at 9:55 PM, pluribus said:

Anyone buy this yet?

I finally got it last friday. After 3 runs I´d like to share my impression with you. As a start: the set is named "Live In Japan 1971 929" by Wendy. It contains 3 Cds SB & 3 Cds AUD, My review will examine the SB release. Wendy praises their SB-source as "Historical Original Soundboard Recording" (as written on the cover) but they give no specific detail about the source or tape generation, further, they declare to keep it secret. Anyway, they call it there definitive release of the 929 show.

To picture the sound quality, I`ve decided to compare it to the widely spread & beloved Winston remaster of this truly outstanding show.

The source is from the soundboard/line split with usually dominant drums &  and buried voice. But what a revelation, I`ve never heard this concert with such a good sound yet. Don´t get me wrong, Roberts voice is still buried in the louder parts, but it has gained more clarity than ever. Compared to Winston Wendy wins with flying colours: it is so dynamic!, it is clearer than ever, there is less noise reduction which gives it such a lively performance. Allt the instruments benefit from this source. The sound of the band is more coherent than ever. And it is loud, it really leaps out of your speakers, but not in a negative way (remember Peter Grant saying their live sound is like a "sonic tidal wave") And you surely haven´t heard the beautiful acoustic set with such a great sound. I really don´t believe that the good sound is achieved with just pushing the EQ-faders. IMO this must be from a very low generation tape.

Comparing Black Dog with the recently sample-release of the 928 SB on EVs Rock Carnival bonus Cd, I see a small advantage for Wendys`929 because of less noise reduction and a more lively, biting live-sound.

So, to all you 929 lovers out there, I hope my review is kind of helpful & I highly recommend this release to you.

For me this is a BIG ONE, until 929 full SBD will be released. And by the way, since EVs Black Dog 928 SB came out, my confidence is higher than ever that

there is a full 929 SB as well..........

5 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

I finally got it last friday. After 3 runs I´d like to share my impression with you. As a start: the set is named "Live In Japan 1971 929" by Wendy. It contains 3 Cds SB & 3 Cds AUD, My review will examine the SB release. Wendy praises their SB-source as "Historical Original Soundboard Recording" (as written on the cover) but they give no specific detail about the source or tape generation, further, they declare to keep it secret. Anyway, they call it there definitive release of the 929 show.

To picture the sound quality, I`ve decided to compare it to the widely spread & beloved Winston remaster of this truly outstanding show.

The source is from the soundboard/line split with usually dominant drums &  and buried voice. But what a revelation, I`ve never heard this concert with such a good sound yet. Don´t get me wrong, Roberts voice is still buried in the louder parts, but it has gained more clarity than ever. Compared to Winston Wendy wins with flying colours: it is so dynamic!, it is clearer than ever, there is less noise reduction which gives it such a lively performance. Allt the instruments benefit from this source. The sound of the band is more coherent than ever. And it is loud, it really leaps out of your speakers, but not in a negative way (remember Peter Grant saying their live sound is like a "sonic tidal wave") And you surely haven´t heard the beautiful acoustic set with such a great sound. I really don´t believe that the good sound is achieved with just pushing the EQ-faders. IMO this must be from a very low generation tape.

Comparing Black Dog with the recently sample-release of the 928 SB on EVs Rock Carnival bonus Cd, I see a small advantage for Wendys`929 because of less noise reduction and a more lively, biting live-sound.

So, to all you 929 lovers out there, I hope my review is kind of helpful & I highly recommend this release to you.

For me this is a BIG ONE, until 929 full SBD will be released. And by the way, since EVs Black Dog 928 SB came out, my confidence is higher than ever that

there is a full 929 SB as well..........

So it's the version I originally referred to from the BB website,  and is about two thirds of the show?

Thanks,  Autumn Moon for the detailed review. I'm curious to know what you think of the audience source on this release? I actually love that tape and Scorpio's Smoke gets In Your Eyes is my favorite release.  Also, wondered if you could possible share some pics of the set? 

17 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Thanks,  Autumn Moon for the detailed review. I'm curious to know what you think of the audience source on this release? I actually love that tape and Scorpio's Smoke gets In Your Eyes is my favorite release.  Also, wondered if you could possible share some pics of the set? 

eleven_nin_iru-img320x276-14769115716gzmbx25330.jpgeleven_nin_iru-img320x208-1476911571ebwde125330.jpg

eleven_nin_iru-img320x240-1476911571u12ek525330.jpg

Hi, very interesting because it is my firts AUD version. Funny, my favorite was Smoke gets in your eyes by Mud Dogs-a SB-boot.

The AUD seems not as good as the best versions for 923, but I like it, interesting to hear it "the other way"

Kind regards

Robert

17 hours ago, porgie66 said:

1 hour ago, Autumn Moon said:

eleven_nin_iru-img320x276-14769115716gzmbx25330.jpgeleven_nin_iru-img320x208-1476911571ebwde125330.jpg

Hi, very interesting because it is my firts AUD version. Funny, my favorite was Smoke gets in your eyes by Mud Dogs-a SB-boot.

The AUD seems not as good as the best versions for 923, but I like it, interesting to hear it "the other way"

Kind regards

Robert

Thanks for posting the pics. If the audience tape is as much of an improvement over previous releases as the soundboard then I think I may go for it. Correct, the audience is not as clear as the best sources from 9/23 but its still very enjoyable as a contrast to hear the ambience of the venue compared to the soundboard. 

43 minutes ago, schmoe said:

I wonder why Wendy used the audience tape for the splice in Going to California? The pre-existing "SB" sources had GTC uncut. Too bad as that is my favorite song from this show.

GTC has always been cut on the soundboard.

2 hours ago, pluribus said:

GTC has always been cut on the soundboard.

? - I just listened to GTC on the "A Cellarful of Noise" CD on the Noise Generator label and to my ears it sounds completely uncut, and it has the noted excellent separation between the guitar and mandolin throughout.  For reference, I listened to GTC on the audience source (there may be multiple audience tapes) from the "929" 3 CD set released in ~ 2000 and that  tape was different than the sound throughout "A Cellarful of Noise".  Also, I believe that the original CD release of this I ~ 1992 "Wild Side" also had GTC with consistent sound throughout, but I do not have it at my fingertips.   Maybe there is an excellent audience source that has been used on "A Cellarful of Noise" and "Wild Side" and I am mistaking it for the "SB".

11 hours ago, schmoe said:

? - I just listened to GTC on the "A Cellarful of Noise" CD on the Noise Generator label and to my ears it sounds completely uncut, and it has the noted excellent separation between the guitar and mandolin throughout.  For reference, I listened to GTC on the audience source (there may be multiple audience tapes) from the "929" 3 CD set released in ~ 2000 and that  tape was different than the sound throughout "A Cellarful of Noise".  Also, I believe that the original CD release of this I ~ 1992 "Wild Side" also had GTC with consistent sound throughout, but I do not have it at my fingertips.   Maybe there is an excellent audience source that has been used on "A Cellarful of Noise" and "Wild Side" and I am mistaking it for the "SB".

The cut is around 5:00 or so in, while Page and Jones are in an instrumental section, before the "Find a queen..." line. The way the music sounds, it is hard to hear at first, but the cut removes about 45 seconds.  Seek out one of the complete versions of the show and you'll hear the source switch. 

On 06/12/2016 at 8:41 AM, Autumn Moon said:

Kind regards

Robert

If anyone knows where this can be found on the web please pm me

Archived