New Soundboard Source for Osaka '71??

Xolo1974

8 hours ago, pluribus said:

The cut is around 5:00 or so in, while Page and Jones are in an instrumental section, before the "Find a queen..." line. The way the music sounds, it is hard to hear at first, but the cut removes about 45 seconds.  Seek out one of the complete versions of the show and you'll hear the source switch. 

Thanks for the detail and I have no doubt you are correct . . . but I will try to ignore your comment when I listen to it because I would fixate on trying to pinpoint the change and probably ruin my enjoyment of my favorite version of GTC. :)  At

least now I know that it is safe for me to buy the Wendy version and not wait for a later release of this upgrade with a complete version of GTC.  It would be a long wait.

14 hours ago, Ocean73 said:

Anyone have comments on Noise Generators silver release Cellarful Of Noise?Seems to be a decent rip from vinyl as you can hear the hiss n such as a definite giveaway.

An old release but interesting from years ago.

Great release, but runs fast and is just the vinyl source, apart from a few of the encores which never made it on vinyl.  Rock and Roll I think is definitely not from vinyl, because it never made it to any of those early bootleg releases. For the complete show, I think the Winston Remasters is the current best of for this show.

19 hours ago, Ocean73 said:

Anyone have comments on Noise Generators silver release Cellarful Of Noise?Seems to be a decent rip from vinyl as you can hear the hiss n such as a definite giveaway.

I have it and the original Wild Side condor release from ~ 1992, and would rate it is as better than the condor release.  The surface vinyl noise is most apparent during the second half of That's the Way, but otherwise it is not bad and IMO more than made up for by otherwise good sound.

I picked up the Noise Generator release when it came out and have Condors version as well as Smoke Gets In Your Eyes by the Muddog label.Noise Generator was always my go to version but Winstons maybe the best recent set of this show.Its one of those shows where you just need anything available from it.

• 3 weeks later...

Been doing a comparison between the versions of this date (29th) that I have after reading this thread. Cellar Full Of Noise is about the clearest but I find the sound very thin probably to bring Plants voice higher in the mix. All but one of the others has Plant further back in the mix (to my ears anyway) so although these are far from the best Zeppelin audience releases, the Last Stand version of Live in Japan 71 is not bad at all. Plant is more to the fore in the mix but the sound is fuller than Cellar. Many of the Japan 71 and 72 shows seem hit and miss to me as regards to quality but I do like King Of The Monsters (No Name(?) Tokyo 71/09/23) and Eastern Front (Great Dane - Tokyo 72/10/02).

• 2 weeks later...

How do the three soundboard cds of this  6CD set compare to the Winston Remasters "Arigatou Osaka" version? Haven't spotted the 6CD version on-line yet, but good things come to those who wait (allegedly) ...

On 1/10/2017 at 6:54 PM, nigelss said:

How do the three soundboard cds of this  6CD set compare to the Winston Remasters "Arigatou Osaka" version? Haven't spotted the 6CD version on-line yet, but good things come to those who wait (allegedly) ...

The 3 board discs sound better than Winston's , which is no small feat. The source sounds fuller and more dynamic. The edits are smooth. PM me if you'd link a link where to find a copy. It's a worthwhile title also for the audience tape , which is very enjoyable. 

• 9 months later...
On 12/01/2017 at 10:37 AM, porgie66 said:

The 3 board discs sound better than Winston's , which is no small feat. The source sounds fuller and more dynamic. The edits are smooth. PM me if you'd link a link where to find a copy. It's a worthwhile title also for the audience tape , which is very enjoyable. 

Pm on it’s way George 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/8/2016 at 11:05 PM, Ocean73 said:

On 12/9/2016 at 1:38 PM, pluribus said:

Great release, but runs fast and is just the vinyl source, apart from a few of the encores which never made it on vinyl.  Rock and Roll I think is definitely not from vinyl, because it never made it to any of those early bootleg releases. For the complete show, I think the Winston Remasters is the current best of for this show.

Ah, just the info I was looking for in this thread - "runs fast." I'm listening to this now and I was gonna ask if anyone else thought it sounded transposed a bit. Sounds pretty good so far tho, fidelity-wise.

ALB

Archived