What if things were backwards?

Poor Tony

1969. Few people have heard of Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones. Nobody knew of Robert Plant and John Bonham.  An album is released... In the Evening... South Bound Suarez...
1972. A second album is released. Achilles Last Stand... Nobody's Fault...
1973. A double-album! Kashmir... Sick Again... Wanton Song...
1975. Over the Hills... The Ocean... No Quarter...
1977. Stairway... Going to California... Black Dog... Rock n Roll
1978. Immigrant Song.  Since I've Been Loving You... Awesome but underappriciated acoustic tracks...
1979. Whole Lotta Love... Heartbreaker..........  Dazed and Confused... Babe I'm Gonna Leave You... Communication Breakdown...

Would Zeppelin have been successful? 

They influenced a lot of bands. How would this have changed the history of Rock and Roll?

8 hours ago, Poor Tony said:

1969. Few people have heard of Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones. Nobody knew of Robert Plant and John Bonham.  An album is released... In the Evening... South Bound Suarez...
1978. Immigrant Song.  Since I've Been Loving You... Awesome but underappriciated acoustic tracks...
1979. Whole Lotta Love... Heartbreaker..........  Dazed and Confused... Babe I'm Gonna Leave You... Communication Breakdown...

They influenced a lot of bands. How would this have changed the history of Rock and Roll?

They would be shit live and the first album would be in the bargain bin at Woolworths

Not a chance, people only like ITTOD because it is a Led Zeppelin album. Had it been their first  it would have died a death, quickly forgotten, talked about as being an absolute pile of shite.

7 hours ago, JTM said:

Not a chance, people only like ITTOD because it is a Led Zeppelin album. Had it been their first  it would have died a death, quickly forgotten, talked about as being an absolute pile of shite.

They would be just as ground breaking no matter which way you run the sequence

What a silly idea. As someone above already noted, "Physical Graffiti" was an album of outtakes from sessions for Led Zeppelin III thru "Houses of the Holy", so by your backwards timeline, "Physical Graffiti" wouldn't be able to exist as we know it...it would be made up of outtakes from ITTOD and "Presence".

What would happen after they released Led Zeppelin I in 1980? Would Jimmy Page then break up the band and form the Yardbirds? :rolleyes:

Also, there's no way in hell Atlantic would have their first record come out in 1969 and then wait until 1972 for the second album. This was back in the days when bands would release an album every 6 to 12 months. 

So your backwards timeline is flawed right from the start. Nice try, though.

However, since everyone seems to be piling on "In Through the Out Door" and saying it would be ignored and Led Zeppelin shot down in flames right out of the gate, I am going to play Devil's advocate and say "Not so fast, non-believers!"

First of all, remember this is still 1968-1969 when most albums sounded thin or badly produced. Whatever you may think of the songs on ITTOD, the sound of the album would still be mindblowing by January 1969 standards.

Think of the reaction to Bonham's drums in "Fool In the Rain"...people didn't hear drums that crisp and clear too often back then. It would have blown people's minds just as "Good Times Bad Times" did.

Of course, one problem with having ITTOD being their first album is that some of the equipment hadn't been invented yet. No Yamaha GX-1 synthesizer or Alembic basses. This would have forced Jones to use his old Fender bass and either a vintage Moog or a mellotron...which actually might have helped the songs sound better.

As for the songs, I submit that ITTOD might have received better reviews from the critics in 1969 than Led Zeppelin I.

For one thing, it doesn't have all those blues covers that people were starting to get tired of by 1969. After Cream, Ten Years After, Blue Cheer, and the Jeff Beck Group, many critics merely thought Led Zeppelin was just copying their blueprint, even down to covering the same Willie Dixon song "You Shook Me" as Jeff Beck did on his first album.

But there are no Willie Dixon or Muddy Waters or Sonny Boy Williamson ripoffs on ITTOD. It is one-part prog art-rock (Carouselambra, All My Love, In the Evening) and one-part roots-rock (South Bound Saurez, Hot Dog, Fool In the Rain), with one bluesy original in I'm Gonna Crawl.

Remember prog-rock at that point was Syd Barrett-Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, some Beatles, and a few obscure groups. King Crimson, Genesis or ELP had not released an album yet...I don't even think the first Yes had come out yet. You don't think "In the Evening" or "All My Love" would have made a splash in the new FM free-form rock radio format? You're wrong...people would have been toking late at night and calling their local radio request lines.

The other thing to remember is 1968-69 was the era everyone fell in love with The Band and CCR and their rootsy, low-key approach to music. Even Eric Clapton felt the need to renounce guitar histrionics after hearing The Band. So Jimmy Page's tasteful and restrained playing on ITTOD, coupled with the band's country ("Hot Dog"), honky-tonk R & B ("South Bound Saurez") and Purdie-shuffle mixed with Santana Samba beat ("Fool In the Rain") would have found favour with that crowd and the critics who adored The Band and CCR. People would have been amazed at the piano-bass-drum rhythmic interplay and how good everything sounded compared to the haphazardly produced Kinks, Who, and Rolling Stones records.

Even as low-key you may think Jimmy's guitar is on ITTOD compared to the first album, the album still opens and closes with two of Jimmy's finest solos. So Jimmy Page would still ascend to the ranks of guitar heroes.

The other improvement that ITTOD had over Led Zeppelin I was the lack of misogyny. No blues cliches or sexual cliches in the lyrics...and nothing to get sued over, either. "Hot Dog" and "Fool in the Rain" have a sense of humour and playfulness about them. "Carouselambra" are some of the best and most honest lyrics Plant ever wrote. "All My Love" is tender and plaintive.

Lastly, the stoners and art geeks would have loved the water sensitive inner sleeve and multiple angle covers. It would have won a Grammy for record packaging alone.

So there you have it. I am stating for the record that had Led Zeppelin released "In Through the Out Door" as its first album in 1969, its impact would have been felt. And their live shows would have still blown Vanilla Fudge and Iron Butterfly off the stage and into the cut-out bins.

Led Zeppelin's legacy would only expand as they released their proto-metal masterpiece "Presence" later in 1969, pre-emptively rendering Black Sabbath and Deep Purple sludgy and dull months before anyone ever heard of them . 

"Achilles Last Stand" in 1969?!? Are you kidding me? People would have lost their minds hearing that in 1969!

1 hour ago, Strider said:

What a silly idea. As someone above already noted, "Physical Graffiti" was an album of outtakes from sessions for Led Zeppelin III thru "Houses of the Holy", so by your backwards timeline, "Physical Graffiti" wouldn't be able to exist as we know it...it would be made up of outtakes from ITTOD and "Presence".

What would happen after they released Led Zeppelin I in 1980? Would Jimmy Page then break up the band and form the Yardbirds? :rolleyes:

Also, there's no way in hell Atlantic would have their first record come out in 1969 and then wait until 1972 for the second album. This was back in the days when bands would release an album every 6 to 12 months. 

So your backwards timeline is flawed right from the start. Nice try, though.

However, since everyone seems to be piling on "In Through the Out Door" and saying it would be ignored and Led Zeppelin shot down in flames right out of the gate, I am going to play Devil's advocate and say "Not so fast, non-believers!"

First of all, remember this is still 1968-1969 when most albums sounded thin or badly produced. Whatever you may think of the songs on ITTOD, the sound of the album would still be mindblowing by January 1969 standards.

Think of the reaction to Bonham's drums in "Fool In the Rain"...people didn't hear drums that crisp and clear too often back then. It would have blown people's minds just as "Good Times Bad Times" did.

Of course, one problem with having ITTOD being their first album is that some of the equipment hadn't been invented yet. No Yamaha GX-1 synthesizer or Alembic basses. This would have forced Jones to use his old Fender bass and either a vintage Moog or a mellotron...which actually might have helped the songs sound better.

As for the songs, I submit that ITTOD might have received better reviews from the critics in 1969 than Led Zeppelin I.

For one thing, it doesn't have all those blues covers that people were starting to get tired of by 1969. After Cream, Ten Years After, Blue Cheer, and the Jeff Beck Group, many critics merely thought Led Zeppelin was just copying their blueprint, even down to covering the same Willie Dixon song "You Shook Me" as Jeff Beck did on his first album.

But there are no Willie Dixon or Muddy Waters or Sonny Boy Williamson ripoffs on ITTOD. It is one-part prog art-rock (Carouselambra, All My Love, In the Evening) and one-part roots-rock (South Bound Saurez, Hot Dog, Fool In the Rain), with one bluesy original in I'm Gonna Crawl.

Remember prog-rock at that point was Syd Barrett-Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, some Beatles, and a few obscure groups. King Crimson, Genesis or ELP had not released an album yet...I don't even think the first Yes had come out yet. You don't think "In the Evening" or "All My Love" would have made a splash in the new FM free-form rock radio format? You're wrong...people would have been toking late at night and calling their local radio request lines.

The other thing to remember is 1968-69 was the era everyone fell in love with The Band and CCR and their rootsy, low-key approach to music. Even Eric Clapton felt the need to renounce guitar histrionics after hearing The Band. So Jimmy Page's tasteful and restrained playing on ITTOD, coupled with the band's country ("Hot Dog"), honky-tonk R & B ("South Bound Saurez") and Purdie-shuffle mixed with Santana Samba beat ("Fool In the Rain") would have found favour with that crowd and the critics who adored The Band and CCR. People would have been amazed at the piano-bass-drum rhythmic interplay and how good everything sounded compared to the haphazardly produced Kinks, Who, and Rolling Stones records.

Even as low-key you may think Jimmy's guitar is on ITTOD compared to the first album, the album still opens and closes with two of Jimmy's finest solos. So Jimmy Page would still ascend to the ranks of guitar heroes.

The other improvement that ITTOD had over Led Zeppelin I was the lack of misogyny. No blues cliches or sexual cliches in the lyrics...and nothing to get sued over, either. "Hot Dog" and "Fool in the Rain" have a sense of humour and playfulness about them. "Carouselambra" are some of the best and most honest lyrics Plant ever wrote. "All My Love" is tender and plaintive.

Lastly, the stoners and art geeks would have loved the water sensitive inner sleeve and multiple angle covers. It would have won a Grammy for record packaging alone.

So there you have it. I am stating for the record that had Led Zeppelin released "In Through the Out Door" as its first album in 1969, its impact would have been felt. And their live shows would have still blown Vanilla Fudge and Iron Butterfly off the stage and into the cut-out bins.

Led Zeppelin's legacy would only expand as they released their proto-metal masterpiece "Presence" later in 1969, pre-emptively rendering Black Sabbath and Deep Purple sludgy and dull months before anyone ever heard of them . 

"Achilles Last Stand" in 1969?!? Are you kidding me? People would have lost their minds hearing that in 1969!

Good Points Strider, also, if the order were reversed, Zep III would have fit nicely in 75' with The Eagles, Neal Young, and Springsteen. Zep II in 76' would have blown the soft-rock early disco off the airwaves; and Zep I in 79' would not have been viewed as it was in 69' as, like you stated, a Cream / Beck Group rip off. Instead, Zep I in 79' would have been looked at as Zeppelin's Let It Be album, stripped down and back to the basics blues with a punk rock jam (CB) thrown in as well.

They would have been even bigger and considerably more ground breaking.

To Me, it does matter in which form the Led Zeppelin catalog was produced, forward, backwards, or in between, the Music of LED ZEPPELIN will and always be considered the "Best" recorded Music in the History of Recorded Music. 

200 hundred years from now, the Music of Jimmy Page/John Paul Jones/John Bonham and Robert Plant will still be listened to and Celebrated just like it is today. 

LED ZEPPELIN IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE CONSIDERED THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND OF ALL-TIME. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2016 at 10:10 PM, Poor Tony said:

first album would then be ignored and then after they would have gotten better

could the albums have manifested in reverse order without everything else in the universe devolving rather  than evolving also?  

Surely these albums are the sum of all the interact able light cones at that place and time. 

Or something or other, IMHO of course!

2 minutes ago, JAP said:

could the albums have manifested in reverse order without everything else in the universe devolving rather  than evolving also?  

Surely these albums are the sum of all the interact able light cones at that place and time. 

Or something or other, IMHO of course!

Having said that . Had these albums  somehow not happened but we still had the world we have today I could see everyone of them being very well received indeed. Say a new band did zep 1 now.  still as incredible now as it was then 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived