Planning Travel

Charles J. White

A thread for people trying to figure out ease of travel plans and so on i.e. taxi, car rental, airports, roads and so on!

So here goes:

When traveling to Galway Ireland from Canada or Boston is it easier to travel into Shannon or Dublin? I'm going to be travelling to Galway - wondering what the roads are like to Galway, the drive, ease getting in and out of airports and so on

Firstly I have never been to The Emerald Isle or come to think of it Aberdeen. But I know plenty of people who have and live in Ireland.

I hope you have patience C. Ireland is like going back to the 18th Century. I don't even think they have a motorway (Freeway) there. It takes a dogs age to go anywhere. I remember a few years back Mrs CP and I were planning a trip to Dublin and going to visit chums on the South west tip ( it didn't happen for some reason). When I said we will drive from Dublin and how long it will take, he said you'll need a stop over half way as it takes fucking hours !!

Amberdeen or Aberdeen as it's known to the locals, is a stop off City for the Oil industry and folks who like to fish. It will be bleak as it's on the North East Coast. Not really a place that features regularly in the Tourist mags (unless your that fuckwit Donald Trump) but having said that a drive south and you're in England. Turn westwards and a I'll cook you a curry and we can get stoned ;)

Take a good phrase book as it maybe tricky understanding the inhabitants. Also you may go hungry as the cuisine is not what you may call "healthy", unless you like fish - fried with chips. Fresh berries maybe a toughie and DON'T ask for gluten free anything unless you want a good kicking. Remember this is the country that introduced that culinary delight that is the "deep fried Mars Bar" :o

Farmers Markets: :hysterical:. There maybe be Farmers and there maybe a market - but a "a farmers Market" I seriously doubt it

Oh you will be able to get an endless supply of H2O as it pisses down for most of the time. Take a brolly and have a good time !! Oh and don't forget Ireland has the Euro and is eye wateringly expensive and Scotland still uses the Pound albeit a different colour to ours. Blue naturally.

On 11/2/2016 at 2:24 PM, Charles J. White said:

A thread for people trying to figure out ease of travel plans and so on i.e. taxi, car rental, airports, roads and so on!

So here goes:

When traveling to Galway Ireland from Canada or Boston is it easier to travel into Shannon or Dublin? I'm going to be travelling to Galway - wondering what the roads are like to Galway, the drive, ease getting in and out of airports and so on

Have you seen the film "The Quiet  Man", away from the bigger towns and cities Ireland is just like that.  The place were they filmed TQM has not changed at all sixty + years on. Ireland is amazing you will love it, spend some time there. Beautiful country, lovely friendly people...You have to visit  Dublin...Typing this I want to go there again..where are those holiday brochures...

Archived