Purple/Rainbow/Blackmore etc

leddy

Thanks for that I will put that on my Xmas list !! and yes the S&M cd is more latter day Rainbow and not Purples best. Do you like the Morse era Purple ?? I saw them a couple of time and he is a really great guitarist and does the music justice, though Purple without the man in black is just not the same.

Yeah, I do like the Morse era. I've enjoyed the albums, particularly "Purpendicular" & "Rapture of the Deep". Still very enjoyable live, but you're right, it's not the same without Blackmore. There's not that intensity like when he used to be on the stage. I've never seen them live, just going by the recordings I've heard and seen.

The current Deep Purple is better than no Deep Purple though!

I hope I won't be slapped sideways here for this.......anyone dig Blackmore's Night???! :)

BLACKMORESNIGHTalbumcover-1.jpg

Hahah, my friend dragged me along to see them years back. That was some crazy shit, everybody dressed up in tights and tunics (including many members of the audience :blink: ). They did play a cool rendition of Child in Time. Definitely an experience...

Hahah, my friend dragged me along to see them years back. That was some crazy shit, everybody dressed up in tights and tunics (including many members of the audience :blink: ). They did play a cool rendition of Child in Time. Definitely an experience...

I haven't been able to bring myself to see him in tights, but I have heard that it can be good..the music not the tights :P

I met Ritchie when I was a teenager, before I was in a Band myself, He had a great influence on me, I'd really love to see him again and often wonder if he still remembers me, but them looking at the Album cover you have posted, looks like he does remember me, :wub: looks like me on the left hand side near the trees, (figure with dark hair,) I hope he is happy with Candice, looks like he is :wub:

Blackmore is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite guitar players. I saw the video for Highway Star (the German music show) and seeing Blackmore act so aggressive on the guitar and still keeping it going, is just great. Even if he does all the dynamics and wild man antics towards the guitar, he's still an awesome guitarist. I just wish he wouldn't criticize himself.

Blackmore is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite guitar players. I saw the video for Highway Star (the German music show) and seeing Blackmore act so aggressive on the guitar and still keeping it going, is just great. Even if he does all the dynamics and wild man antics towards the guitar, he's still an awesome guitarist. I just wish he wouldn't criticize himself.

I think all great musicians do put themselves down as they live knowing they are only as good as the last performance. I know this as having an ex wife and my father as prof musicians they would always be the first critic to themselves. I think anyone who plays somrthing and thinks they are just tickety boo is probably not !!!

Glad to hear you think The Man in Black is good as I think he came up with amazing riffs, songs and had some feeling too in his playing, and in 2 bonifide classy rock bands, although latter day Rainbow was a bit Kish !!

Edited by leddy

I think all great musicians do put themselves down as they live knowing they are only as good as the last performance. I know this as having an ex wife and my father as prof musicians they would always be the first critic to themselves. I think anyone who plays somrthing and thinks they are just tickety boo is probably not !!!

Glad to hear you think The Man in Black is good as I think he came up with amazing riffs, songs and had some feeling too in his playing, and in 2 bonifide classy rock bands, although latter day Rainbow was a bit Kish !!

Well, I see it like this.

There are four types of Blackmore fans.

1. Loves ALL of Blackmore's work.

2. Loves his amazing work with Deep Purple

3. Loves his work with Rainbow

4. Loves his work on Blackmore's Night.

I'm fan #2.

Well, I see it like this.

There are four types of Blackmore fans.

1. Loves ALL of Blackmore's work.

2. Loves his amazing work with Deep Purple

3. Loves his work with Rainbow

4. Loves his work on Blackmore's Night.

I'm fan #2.

ok but I think if you haven't heard Rainbow Rising then its worth a go !!

I haven't heard anything by outside of Deep Purple.

then you need "Rainbow on Stage"...GREAT live album which shows the best of the Dio Rainbow era

here's a taste...(these are very similiar to the album cuts)

16th century greensleeves 1977

you can find part 2 if you watch this..no need to post it

good stuff

Edited by spatdrastik

then you need "Rainbow on Stage"...GREAT live album which shows the best of the Dio Rainbow era

here's a taste...(these are very similiar to the album cuts)

16th century greensleeves 1977

you can find part 2 if you watch this..no need to post it

good stuff

Aw Mistreated, one of the most awe inspiring blues tracks from Blackers !!, very brooding !! a great simple but oh so wonderful riff !!

I'm #2!!!

Speaking of DP, does anyone have the MK II DVD concert taped in Denmark in'72. The DVD also features their appearance on "In Concert". Blackmore is amazing to watch......I was like WOW!!!!!!

I do have that on both VHS and DVD. the dvd has some footage of them in America too !! The California Jam dvd is cool too !!

My gf digs Ritchie (and Santana) the most.......and she made me RE-discover Ritchie like WOOOOOOOOW!!!

did you ever see him live ??

No. :( My three favourite guitarists are Page, Iommi & Blackmore, managed to see 2 out of 3.

I'd love a reunion of Deep Purple MkIII. Or, if Ian Paice couldn't do it, Blackmore, Lord, Hughes & Coverdale could go on tour with a different drummer. It'd be amazing.

No. :( My three favourite guitarists are Page, Iommi & Blackmore, managed to see 2 out of 3.

I'd love a reunion of Deep Purple MkIII. Or, if Ian Paice couldn't do it, Blackmore, Lord, Hughes & Coverdale could go on tour with a different drummer. It'd be amazing.

Yes it would be cool if they did, you never know I think Blackmore might do it !! but I have heard that nobody can get to speak to him as they have to go thru his mother in law as I think she deals with all things Blackmore's Night !!!I have seen all the three you mention and Blackmore is a great showman as you never new what was going to happen with him !!

I have found memories seeing Blackmore for the first time with Purple in 1985 with him wearing welly boots at Knebworth and also Page for the second time on his solo tour in 1988 !!

Edited by leddy

I met Ritchie when I was a teenager, before I was in a Band myself, He had a great influence on me, I'd really love to see him again and often wonder if he still remembers me, but them looking at the Album cover you have posted, looks like he does remember me, :wub: looks like me on the left hand side near the trees, (figure with dark hair,) I hope he is happy with Candice, looks like he is :wub:

Who wouldm't be HAPPY with such a beautiful and talented woman as Candice Night?!! :) :)

RITCHIEBLACKMOREANDCANDICENIGHThugg.jpg

Found some of my pics of Purple at Knebworth 85 !!puonstage85th.jpg

kneb85.jpg

85posters.jpg

85p.jpg

This was the first Rock Festival I went to and boy was it wet. It was the middle of summer but it felt like the middle of autumn. I remember being cold, tired and bored by most of the bands on the bill(apart from Blackfoot, with their American southern boogie). Meat Loaf fell on his arse as he had a plaster cast on (bl**dy awfull set). When Deep Purple came on it made the wait worthwhile. The classic MK2 line up had reformed the year before, and here they were back in their homeland playing live classics like "Highway Star", "Black Knight" and soon to be classic "Perfect Strangers". Ritchie Blackmore came on and played in his wellington boots. This was the first of many purple gigs that I was to go to, but this was the best. For two hours you really did forget about the rain.

After the gig they forgot to put any lighting for the mugs who saw the concert, everyone was slipping in the mud on the way back to the campsite. All the fun of the Fayre!

I agree. The trio of "In Rock", "Fireball" & "Machine Head" is incredible. Three completely different, but brilliant albums. "Who Do We Think We Are" isn't too shabby either and "Made In Japan" is one of the all time great live albums.

I do enjoy the MkIII & MkIV lineups as well though. "Burn", "Stormbringer" & "Come Taste the Band" are all up there with the MkII material for me and there are some cracking live albums from those lineups to compete with "Made In Japan".

Finaly found this thread!!

couldn´t understand why nobody talks about Purple. It was a tremendous band in teh 70..can´t guess why are they so underrated!!

And Blackmore too and Made in Japan and Paice!!

Purple is my favourite band a little ahead of zepp. Is only my opinion.

Can any of you recommend me where to start with tommy bolin? expect for spectrum and james gang!