2016-17 NBA Thread....

paul carruthers

Well--unless I missed something--we have yet to start a thread for the new NBA season, so here she goes...

I don't know if the Cavs are chasing 73, but it seems LeBron won't have to work too hard this year to get to yet another NBA Finals. And it's going to be a long season in Miami for my Heat. 

spinning-dunk-smiley-emoticon.gif

6 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Well--unless I missed something--we have yet to start a thread for the new NBA season, so here she goes...

I don't know if the Cavs are chasing 73, but it seems LeBron won't have to work too hard this year to get to yet another NBA Finals. And it's going to be a long season in Miami for my Heat. 

spinning-dunk-smiley-emoticon.gif

The Clippers are destroying all comers of late!!!  Might be the team that can beat Cleveland and GS?  Bu its early

Clippers took a night off vs Memphis and cost me a parlay the pricks.  Tonight they will respond and murder the Kings.  GS at Boston a good game but too early on for Boston to beat this super team.  Golden St romps.  Later in the year, Boston might wind up being a top 3 in the East  Washington might be coming around after a miserable start.  The Raptors, if they truly are a top 5 eastern team, are still far below the Cavs.  I feel Chicago really is good right now. They are the one team that might be able to give the Cavs a game of it.?

Someone please tell me why the Lakers are suddenly getting respect in Vegas.  Only plus 6 tonight vs San Anton?  

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

So, is everyone just wasting time playing the regular season & we can pencil in the Cavs and Warriors again in the Finals?

:rolleyes:

Maybe. But the most fun this season will be in watching to see if Russell Westbrook can play like a man possessed for the entire season. He just torched the Knicks last night for another triple-double...that makes 8 or 9 TDs so far this season and he is averaging a TD for the season so far. Whether he can maintain this pace for all 82 games and join Oscar Robertson as the only players to average a TD for the season is the question. Magic Johnson was the only other player that came close to matching Oscar's achievement...in 1981 or 82, I believe.

There is no doubt Westworld is fueled by the white-hot hate of a thousand suns towards Durant and his leaving OKC for Golden State. The Warriors @ Thunder games will be must-see tv.

I was going to say, do not count out the Clippers.  I like the Clippers and Warriors to play of the West title.  In the East can anyone put up a fight even with Cleveland?  Maybe by season's end Boston could be competitive?  Charlotte is pretty good but not good enough.  At times the Pistons look good.  But to really be a threat to Cleveland I just do not see an Eastern team.  Its got to be the Warriors or Clippers.  To me San Anton is a step below them.  

5 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ Well, not that unreal--I don't think Golden State was realistically chasing 73 again. It's like that funny picture Sathington posted after the Finals--it don't mean a thing, if you don't win that ring...

:D

I do not believe Lebron can repeat with the supporting cast he has.  The Clippers can have a say in this.  Golden st still loaded though

Friday's are weirdo days in the NBA.  Crazy shit happens.  How do the Wizards put up that kind of fight in San Anton?   That coach is a bastard.  He burns more fucking money!!!!   Putting in bums just enough to get the job done. Don't win the game by 12 like you are supposed to you jack ass.  I hate the team.  The coach and the whole lot!!

• 1 month later...

Lazy shit bag Cavs lost again.  This time to the Sacramento Queens.  Fucking wasted in their own house.  Lost 6 of 8.  Steven Smith says we all know that they will go to the finals but also knows they are not god enough to beat  a Kevin Durant, Steph Curry , D Green and Thompson led Golden State Warriors.   The Spurs and a healthy Clippers team cannot be counted out either.  I am anxious to see how the Clippers do when they get CPIII and Blake Griffin back on the court.  Add them to D Andre Jordan and Crawford and Reddick and you have a fucking monster of a team.  They have to be better as a unit to compete with the likes of the Warriors.  Te me though, even though Popovich is the better coach, the Spurs do not have enough weapons.  But they are smart and could beat anyone if they are overconfident.  I am going to bank on CP and Blake being back and haven time to gel, and we get a Clippers vs Spurs semi and a Clippers vs Warriors West final.   The Cavaliers will probably have to beat the Pistons or Raptors or Hawks to get there.  The Hawks can be very dangerous.  If they shoot over 58% from downtown, look out!!!  If anyone can pull off a monster upset in the Eastern finals its the Atlanta Hawks.  But if we get the finals we expect, I do not see the Cavs being able to stay with Curry, Durant and Thomson.  And Green in their faces to give them holy hell on the other side of the ball.  Kerr will not make the mistake of taking his foot off the gas pedal again

I love basketball but the NBA has less drama and is the most predictable of the four pro leagues (NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB).

As we have seen, while baseball, football, and hockey have their traditional powers, the teams you can count on being good year in and year out, they also have teams that rise from the ashes and get hot at the right moment. Their playoffs bring real surprises...did anyone before this season really see Atlanta making the Super Bowl?!? :blink:

That's why there have been less repeat champions in the NFL, NHL, and MLB than in the NBA over the past 20 years.

The NBA season is a long dreary slog towards the inevitable Cavs vs. Warriors (or maybe the Spurs) Finals.

21 hours ago, Strider said:

I love basketball but the NBA has less drama and is the most predictable of the four pro leagues (NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB).

As we have seen, while baseball, football, and hockey have their traditional powers, the teams you can count on being good year in and year out, they also have teams that rise from the ashes and get hot at the right moment. Their playoffs bring real surprises...did anyone before this season really see Atlanta making the Super Bowl?!? :blink:

That's why there have been less repeat champions in the NFL, NHL, and MLB than in the NBA over the past 20 years.

The NBA season is a long dreary slog towards the inevitable Cavs vs. Warriors (or maybe the Spurs) Finals.

Well I saw Atlanta making it and I have the future bet that is alive in my off shore account to prove it.  I got fat odds on them two months ago when I placed the bet.  But I agree with you that the NBA is the most predictable. However, recently the Cavs have lost like 10 of 14 games and have been beaten at home by the like of Sacramento and last night Dallas whipped the at home.  I am not sure if they are a slam dunk as earlier thought?  They are desperately looking for a trade.  They are not happy with Love.  I can see a team like the Atlanta Hawks pulling an upset.  Yes, another Atlanta.  Lets hope this Atlanta Falcons team does what the Giants did to New England.  Sent them home packing.  They have the weapons to do it and New England is going to miss Gronkowski in a game like this.  I must mention the NHL since you brought it up.  Right now the chalk final would be Washington and Minnesota.  Its a very good possibility.  I believe its that or the Blues vs the Caps.  I would not count the Kings out in the West but I see them trying to pull off a trade and without their number one goalie, its going to be very tough.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:12 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Well I saw Atlanta making it and I have the future bet that is alive in my off shore account to prove it.  I got fat odds on them two months ago when I placed the bet.  But I agree with you that the NBA is the most predictable. However, recently the Cavs have lost like 10 of 14 games and have been beaten at home by the like of Sacramento and last night Dallas whipped the at home.  I am not sure if they are a slam dunk as earlier thought?  They are desperately looking for a trade.  They are not happy with Love.  I can see a team like the Atlanta Hawks pulling an upset.  Yes, another Atlanta.  Lets hope this Atlanta Falcons team does what the Giants did to New England.  Sent them home packing.  They have the weapons to do it and New England is going to miss Gronkowski in a game like this.  I must mention the NHL since you brought it up.  Right now the chalk final would be Washington and Minnesota.  Its a very good possibility.  I believe its that or the Blues vs the Caps.  I would not count the Kings out in the West but I see them trying to pull off a trade and without their number one goalie, its going to be very tough.

Who says they're not happy with Love?  I always hear how he's not happy there, he's not fitting in, they're gonna trade him, etc., but still he's there.  At any rate, better to have a slump in January than April (the Warriors could be a lesson in peaking too early).  I can't see the Cavs not winning the East, and I would predict Love will be in the Finals with them.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived