2016-17 NBA Thread....

paul carruthers

On 1/30/2017 at 2:38 PM, Strider said:

I love basketball but the NBA has less drama and is the most predictable of the four pro leagues (NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB).

As we have seen, while baseball, football, and hockey have their traditional powers, the teams you can count on being good year in and year out, they also have teams that rise from the ashes and get hot at the right moment. Their playoffs bring real surprises...did anyone before this season really see Atlanta making the Super Bowl?!? :blink:

That's why there have been less repeat champions in the NFL, NHL, and MLB than in the NBA over the past 20 years.

The NBA season is a long dreary slog towards the inevitable Cavs vs. Warriors (or maybe the Spurs) Finals.

HELLO PELICAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't expect too much from NO this year, it's gonna take Boogie a little time to get into the Pelicans system.  But once Davis and Cousins start clicking (think Robinson and Duncan), and with Jrue hitting 17 and 7 per game, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

On 2/23/2017 at 10:11 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

HELLO PELICAN!!!!!!!!!!!

On 2/23/2017 at 0:04 PM, chef free said:

Don't expect too much from NO this year, it's gonna take Boogie a little time to get into the Pelicans system.  But once Davis and Cousins start clicking (think Robinson and Duncan), and with Jrue hitting 17 and 7 per game, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

They will need a new coach first. 

Well the Pelicans have not won yet with their big two and tonight must go to OKC.  I am really anxious to see Chris Paul return to the Clippers to see how good they can be with him.  They had Golden st on the ropes at the half and then allowed them to blow them out in the second half.  With Chris Paul and Blake, they can be competitive with anyone. In the East, if anyone can give the lazy Cavs trouble it may be the Wizards who are damn tough at home.  Atlanta also.  I am not sold on Boston.  In the West Utah is coming on, and Denver has been a very strange team.  They clobbered the Warriors just before the All Star break.  They have played well with the exception of that joke of a game at Sacramento.  Are the Kings better without Cousins? Oops, allow me to answer that one.  They just got smoked by the Hornets after that huge upset of Denver that cost me a 4 teamer.  Pricks.  5 nobody's turn into Micheal Jordan's when I bet against them

Golden st has to deal with this injury to Durant.  They are going to the West finals but I believe the Clippers will be waiting for them.  Chris Paul is back.  The Clippers are going to be a force.  No doubt.   De Andre, Blake, CPIII,  Reddick and more.   Oh  see CPIII is back and Blake and D Andre are all in shape.  Crawford and Reddick also make this a great team that everyone had best watch out for.  Hear that Sean?  Paul?  Clippers baby!!!!

In the East, the Wizards to me are the biggest threat along with Atlanta to possibly beat Cleveland.  It will take some doing.  But the Wizards may be the toughest team in the NBA at home.

^^ I hear you about the Clippers, and--as always--I'll believe it when I see it...  :P Of course, never ever count out the Spurs...

I see the Heat still have a puncher's chance at the 8 spot in the East. Not that it matters--that 8 seed is just a fight to see who will get stomped by Cleveland in the 1st round of the playoffs...

On 3/5/2017 at 6:21 PM, paul carruthers said:

^^ I hear you about the Clippers, and--as always--I'll believe it when I see it...  :P Of course, never ever count out the Spurs...

I see the Heat still have a puncher's chance at the 8 spot in the East. Not that it matters--that 8 seed is just a fight to see who will get stomped by Cleveland in the 1st round of the playoffs...

They were a thorn in the Clippers side back when they had all hands on deck.  Its been a while since Chris Paul has been ready to go and Blake Griffin also.  No we see if this Doc can coach.  I do not care much for him. . I think he should have been fired long ago.  With this lineup they should be right in the thick of it.  The Cavs have big injury issues now.  I would not be shocked if the Wizards or Hawks won the East.  Golden st even without Durant is great with their starting lineup.  But the bench is not deep.  The Clippers have a better bench.  I am not a believer in San Antonio minus their future hall of fame forward that has retired.  Duncan.  I know the Clippers are better than them.  Houston is also better.  The Warriors will need Kevin Durant down the road.  I am interested in seeing how the Pelicans do now that they have Cousins and Davis.  Denver is another team to watch.  The hammered Golden st at home.   They have been very good the past month and a half or so.  

Dirk entered the 30K Club tonight in Dallas. Dirk Joins NBA Legends Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Karl Malone, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Wilt Chamberlain as the only players to surpass the milestone.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

It's just a slow death march to the playoffs, and maybe the inevitable Finals rematch....

Cleveland and Golden st are both vulnerable.  Durant will return so I am picking a war between the suddenly healthy Clippers and GS.  In the East it is no longer is slam dunk.  Cleveland is in trouble.  Real trouble. Lebron cannot do it alone.  And he is ALONE.  Washington is no joke  I must add that some are picking Boston as the team that could beat them.  I am not a total believer.  I think the Wizards are better than Boston

I watched the last two Cleveland Cavilers games against San Antonio tonight and against the Washington Wizards on Saturday. I have never seen a player complain to the referees like LeBron James! Every time he missed a shot he turned and whined to the officials for a foul. I saw him commit a hard charge and at least two traveling violations and NO CALL. And the way he talks and talks and talks to the refs would earn a mere mortal a T. Hey NBA, why do you kiss "Bron-bron's" ass? (They lost both games!)

19 hours ago, chef free said:

I watched the last two Cleveland Cavilers games against San Antonio tonight and against the Washington Wizards on Saturday. I have never seen a player complain to the referees like LeBron James! Every time he missed a shot he turned and whined to the officials for a foul. I saw him commit a hard charge and at least two traveling violations and NO CALL. And the way he talks and talks and talks to the refs would earn a mere mortal a T. Hey NBA, why do you kiss "Bron-bron's" ass? (They lost both games!)

I pick the Wizards to win the East.  

2 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Boston currently the #1 seed in the East, but I'm guessing the Cavs are not sweating that. They probably feel they can carve their way through the East no matter what....

You are not paying attention.  Lebron and company are sweating BIG TIME.  They are getting lit up in case you have not seen the scores.   They are not deep enough to survive vs a team like Boston or Washington.  The Wizards are a team that is tough and can win the East IMO.  If the season were starting today, I would pick the 76ers to get in.  They are playing great.

Warriors 111 OKC 95, Curry 23 pts. on 47% shooting and 58% on 3's, Westbrook 15 pts on 25% shooting and 16% on 3's

Warriors 113 Rockets 106, Curry 32 pts on 50% shooting and 27% on 3's, Hardin 24 on 25% shooting and 11% on 3's

Warriors 110 Spurs 98, Curry 29 pts on 45% shooting and 50% on 3's, Leonard 19 pts on 35% shooting and 0% on 3's (0-5)

Time to reconsider your MVP votes!

9 hours ago, chef free said:

Warriors 111 OKC 95, Curry 23 pts. on 47% shooting and 58% on 3's, Westbrook 15 pts on 25% shooting and 16% on 3's

Warriors 113 Rockets 106, Curry 32 pts on 50% shooting and 27% on 3's, Hardin 24 on 25% shooting and 11% on 3's

Warriors 110 Spurs 98, Curry 29 pts on 45% shooting and 50% on 3's, Leonard 19 pts on 35% shooting and 0% on 3's (0-5)

Time to reconsider your MVP votes!

No doubt the team to beat.  I still say the second best team is not mentioned above.  The healthy Clippers can be a handful.  OKC are a one man band.  

3 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

No doubt the team to beat.  I still say the second best team is not mentioned above.  The healthy Clippers can be a handful.  OKC are a one man band.  

Correct!  And WITHOUT Durant.

Strange line between San Anton and OKC tonight.  Only 1 pt favs are SA.  They might have a bad hangover after getting their ass's handed to them by Curry?  The Clippers keep on winning    The most surprising decent team in the last two months is Denver.  They blew Golden st out on their floor.  And have been solid.  I like them with two points tonight at Charlotte and pick them to win st up.  The Nuggets could be a tough out in the first round if its not Golden st

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, chef free said:

Well LedZeppfan77, it looks like the real Clippers showed up down in San Antonio last night!

I have never doubted they are the only team with any remote chance of beating Golden st.  Right now they would beat Golden st.  But the schedule I do not know.  If Curry and Durant are not both out there, to me the Clippers are better. D Andre and Blake together the Warriors have no answer for down low. And Chris Paul can shoot.  San Anton is not the top threat to GS, the Clippers are

5 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I have never doubted they are the only team with any remote chance of beating Golden st.  Right now they would beat Golden st.  But the schedule I do not know.  If Curry and Durant are not both out there, to me the Clippers are better. D Andre and Blake together the Warriors have no answer for down low. And Chris Paul can shoot.  San Anton is not the top threat to GS, the Clippers are

They are a very inconsistent team. Their downfall is that you never know which Clippers team will show up!  I wouldn't put $ on them...

Archived