2016-17 NBA Thread....

paul carruthers

Why is Game 7 on Monday instead of today? Boston is just a short train ride from DC. There's no excuse to have to wait two days. Play Game 7 on Sunday where you have the biggest ratings. 

11 minutes ago, Strider said:

Why is Game 7 on Monday instead of today? Boston is just a short train ride from DC. There's no excuse to have to wait two days. Play Game 7 on Sunday where you have the biggest ratings. 

At this point of the year, the NBA and the NHL try not to have overlapping playoff games - in the first round of the playoffs in both leagues, it's unavoidable; in the second round, especially early on, it's largely unavoidable too. The NHL Western Conference Final, Game 2 is tonight in Anaheim - thus, the second round NBA game is pushed to Monday. (The Spurs/Warriors Western Conference Final, Game 1 being on today is also part of the equation - notice that game is on very early to avoid overlapping as well.)

19 hours ago, Strider said:

The San Antonio Spurs are like the St. Louis Cardinals. No matter what, they just keep plugging along. They are never the trendy pick and people are always ready to shovel dirt on them, but here they are once again in the Conference Finals...after losing Parker and Leonard, no less.

Whether you cheer for the Spurs or not, you gotta respect them for their consistent tenacity. 

Harden is one of those modern-type players I cannot stand, so I took great pleasure in watching the Spurs end the Rockets' season.

14 hours ago, the chase said:

Funny enough, if Boston wins Monday, they'll have homecourt advantage over Cleveland. I'm a huge Celtics fan, but they really need size. They live or die by the outside shot which makes them unpredictable and streaky. They play great defense at times, but Washington is out-rebounding them. Still pretty incredible they've rebuilt as quickly as they have and with all the Brooklyn picks are going to only get better. 

I agree with you Strider about The Spurs.  They're always right up there. Consistently great, always at or near the top. I respect them a great deal.  I see alot of similarities between The Spurs and Patriots, except almost nobody hates the Spurs.. 

Well, the Spurs don't have Deflategate and videotaping controversies around them... ;) (And lots of Super Bowl wins too.)

Yes, the extended success of the Spurs (in addition to players like Robinson, Elliott, and Duncan) is a real testament to Peter Holt (the owner), R.C. Buford (the GM), and of course Gregg Popovich himself. Also, the city (a fact unknown to many, it's the 7th-largest city in the US) lives and dies with the team and supported them well even when they weren't great - they are the city's only professional sports franchise, despite its size. (I lived there for 5 years, and a further 3 before that in Austin - so, I got to witness their rise to greatness up close by chance.)

The comparisons with the Patriots and the Cardinals are completely apt - they don't always win, but they are always in the conversation. That kind of run can only happen with good fan support AND a good front office - these three teams have both.

4 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

At this point of the year, the NBA and the NHL try not to have overlapping playoff games - in the first round of the playoffs in both leagues, it's unavoidable; in the second round, especially early on, it's largely unavoidable too. The NHL Western Conference Final, Game 2 is tonight in Anaheim - thus, the second round NBA game is pushed to Monday. (The Spurs/Warriors Western Conference Final, Game 1 being on today is also part of the equation - notice that game is on very early to avoid overlapping as well.)

Well, the Spurs don't have Deflategate and videotaping controversies around them... ;) (And lots of Super Bowl wins too.)

Yes, the extended success of the Spurs (in addition to players like Robinson, Elliott, and Duncan) is a real testament to Peter Holt (the owner), R.C. Buford (the GM), and of course Gregg Popovich himself. Also, the city (a fact unknown to many, it's the 7th-largest city in the US) lives and dies with the team and supported them well even when they weren't great - they are the city's only professional sports franchise, despite its size. (I lived there for 5 years, and a further 3 before that in Austin - so, I got to witness their rise to greatness up close by chance.)

The comparisons with the Patriots and the Cardinals are completely apt - they don't always win, but they are always in the conversation. That kind of run can only happen with good fan support AND a good front office - these three teams have both.

Deflategate... is the most overblown "more likely than not" infraction in the history of the NFL.. The Giants were  caught with Walkie Talkies on the sidelines this season and it barely made the news.. No "walkie talkie gate". The double standards the NFL uses for discipline is a disgrace. But even still, New England won the Super bowl.. 2 out 3 years.. 

The Patriots players always keep their mouths shut and prove it on the field. They have possibly the best head Coach in the sport who focusses on winning.... just like San Antonio..It isn't always pretty, but they're always at or near the top... that's what I meant. 

2 hours ago, the chase said:

Deflategate... is the most overblown "more likely than not" infraction in the history of the NFL.. The Giants were  caught with Walkie Talkies on the sidelines this season and it barely made the news.. No "walkie talkie gate". The double standards the NFL uses for discipline is a disgrace. But even still, New England won the Super bowl.. 2 out 3 years.. 

The Patriots players always keep their mouths shut and prove it on the field. They have possibly the best head Coach in the sport who focusses on winning.... just like San Antonio..It isn't always pretty, but they're always at or near the top... that's what I meant. 

I completely agree about the "controversies" - thus, the original winkie-face. :)

Your original point was accurate, and I concur.

4 hours ago, chef free said:
  Reveal hidden contents

W A R R I O R S ! ! !

This series is OVER!

No Shit  !! The Best Teams have more points on the board when the clock runs out.

But but but.... we want a trophy for leading for most of the game.

Oooops, sorry, that doesn't count for nuttin'!! Goodbye!!

9 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I just saw the score for the Warriors--this may be another broom job; although the Spurs could steal a win or 2 at home. But--as I've said before--another showdown between Lebron and Curry seems inevitable....

It is because the Wizards could not pull off that game 7. They give Cleveland hell.  Boston I doubt it.  Can you believe Boston sucked out and won the draft lottery?  That sucks.  Philly 3rd and I predict the 76ers will be a playoff team next year

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

It is because the Wizards could not pull off that game 7. They give Cleveland hell.  Boston I doubt it.  Can you believe Boston sucked out and won the draft lottery?  That sucks.  Philly 3rd and I predict the 76ers will be a playoff team next year

The Celtics haven't picked number 1 since 1950. They had the number 1 in 1980 which was traded to Golden State for Robert Parish and their number 3 .. which wound up being Kevin McHale. So Parish and McHale for Joe Barry Carrol.. 

If Washington couldn't beat Boston, I don't see how they could have beat Cleveland. 

4 hours ago, the chase said:

The Celtics haven't picked number 1 since 1950. They had the number 1 in 1980 which was traded to Golden State for Robert Parish and their number 3 .. which wound up being Kevin McHale. So Parish and McHale for Joe Barry Carrol.. 

If Washington couldn't beat Boston, I don't see how they could have beat Cleveland. 

They proved in the regular season to be a nightmare for Cleveland.  Boston had Bill Russel.  I cannot imagine Bill Russel going high?  Nobody probably saw Havlecek coming?  

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

They proved in the regular season to be a nightmare for Cleveland.  Boston had Bill Russel.  I cannot imagine Bill Russel going high?  Nobody probably saw Havlecek coming?  

No i know but i've seen people saying the lottery must be rigged because Boston won and LA got the number 2. Boston has had crap luck with the ping pong balls for a long time. 

Maybe Washington would have matched up better.  Boston looked real good those last 3 games against Washington though. 

4 minutes ago, the chase said:

No i know but i've seen people saying the lottery must be rigged because Boston won and LA got the number 2. Boston has had crap luck with the ping pong balls for a long time. 

Not with the basketballs. Those 60s titles still hold water.  I watched in those days.  Great games back then.  Boston vs LA w Chamberlain and West and the Knicks had Willis Reed and the Pearl and Walt.  The Baltimore Bullets had Unseld and Monroe.  And Boston had Russel, Havlacek ( who I really liked), and that guy that was great on the baseline but I cant remember his name now?

And later on Boston had Byrd, Philly had DR J and Golden st had Rick Barry.  The Lakers had West and Chamberlain and still hold one  of the greatest records in sports.  33 wins in a row.  I do not see that record ever falling

9 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Not with the basketballs. Those 60s titles still hold water.  I watched in those days.  Great games back then.  Boston vs LA w Chamberlain and West and the Knicks had Willis Reed and the Pearl and Walt.  The Baltimore Bullets had Unseld and Monroe.  And Boston had Russel, Havlacek ( who I really liked), and that guy that was great on the baseline but I cant remember his name now?

And later on Boston had Byrd, Philly had DR J and Golden st had Rick Barry.  The Lakers had West and Chamberlain and still hold one  of the greatest records in sports.  33 wins in a row.  I do not see that record ever falling

Red Aurbach was a basketball genius. He made some brilliant moves.. Larry Bird as a junior eligible at number 6.  Parish and McHale for Joe Barry Carrol.. Dennis Johnson for Rick Robey.. nuff said.. Their luck with the lottery hasnt always been great.. what they did with it is huge.. 

33 wins in a row is impressive, no doubt.

1 hour ago, the chase said:

Red Aurbach was a basketball genius. He made some brilliant moves.. Larry Bird as a junior eligible at number 6.  Parish and McHale for Joe Barry Carrol.. Dennis Johnson for Rick Robey.. nuff said.. Their luck with the lottery hasnt always been great.. what they did with it is huge.. 

33 wins in a row is impressive, no doubt.

I loved that Lakers team of 70.  Jerry West and Rick Barry are my two favorite players of all time and then Dr j.  And to me Dr J and Rick Barry never get enough respect.  No 3 point shot and Barry put down 70.  Dr J, I remember that slam dunk right after the merger from the ABA, the old red white and blue balls, and he might have stepped on the foul line once and I swear he flew en route to the basket to slam the ball.  He was some kind of player and anyone can tell me off, he was every bit as good as Jordan.  And Rick Barry could shoot with the best of them.  I will say Mr Clutch, Jerry West, whose replica on the NBA logo isi certainly a signal of respect.  The shot he hit at Madison Square Garden with time expiring, in today's rules it would have won the game. The rules of the day made the game only a tie and the Lakers were beaten in OT.  It was probably the biggest miracle shot in NBA history in the playoffs.  It was from his side of center court. The Knicks won in 7 and if only that had been the winner.

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I loved that Lakers team of 70.  Jerry West and Rick Barry are my two favorite players of all time and then Dr j.  And to me Dr J and Rick Barry never get enough respect.  No 3 point shot and Barry put down 70.  Dr J, I remember that slam dunk right after the merger from the ABA, the old red white and blue balls, and he might have stepped on the foul line once and I swear he flew en route to the basket to slam the ball.  He was some kind of player and anyone can tell me off, he was every bit as good as Jordan.  And Rick Barry could shoot with the best of them.  I will say Mr Clutch, Jerry West, whose replica on the NBA logo isi certainly a signal of respect.  The shot he hit at Madison Square Garden with time expiring, in today's rules it would have won the game. The rules of the day made the game only a tie and the Lakers were beaten in OT.  It was probably the biggest miracle shot in NBA history in the playoffs.  It was from his side of center court. The Knicks won in 7 and if only that had been the winner.

I didn't get into Basketball till 85. It only took one playoff game (Celtics 76ers) to rope me in.  My Father and older brother lived for sports, for me it was only music.. until that one playoff game.

Russell, Wilt, Kareem, Walton, Bird, Magic, Dr. J. LeBron Kobe Barkley Malone (Karl and Moses) Hakeem etc .. all up there, and I wouldn't argue with anyone that picked any of them, but Jordan gets my vote. 

My personal favorite player will always be Kevin McHale though. In 1987, till he broke his foot, he was unstoppable.  Best low post moves ever.  Then, he even played on a broken foot for crying out loud. Even Bird thought he was the MVP candidate that year. 

15 hours ago, the chase said:

I didn't get into Basketball till 85. It only took one playoff game (Celtics 76ers) to rope me in.  My Father and older brother lived for sports, for me it was only music.. until that one playoff game.

Russell, Wilt, Kareem, Walton, Bird, Magic, Dr. J. LeBron Kobe Barkley Malone (Karl and Moses) Hakeem etc .. all up there, and I wouldn't argue with anyone that picked any of them, but Jordan gets my vote. 

My personal favorite player will always be Kevin McHale though. In 1987, till he broke his foot, he was unstoppable.  Best low post moves ever.  Then, he even played on a broken foot for crying out loud. Even Bird thought he was the MVP candidate that year. 

But I have seen all of them.  You have not.  .You did not get to see West and Barry in their prime.  Rick Barry won the NBA title pretty much by himself with no big man, classic center that you needed then.  And the competition was very good.  They beat the then Washington Bullets in the 1975 finals.  Rick Barry was a monster of a player.  

On 5/18/2017 at 10:57 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

But I have seen all of them.  You have not.  .You did not get to see West and Barry in their prime.  Rick Barry won the NBA title pretty much by himself with no big man, classic center that you needed then.  And the competition was very good.  They beat the then Washington Bullets in the 1975 finals.  Rick Barry was a monster of a player.  

I don't disagree. That was my point. I'll take your word on anything pre-85, especially on Rick Barry because I had very little interest till 85. I have gone back and watched quite a bit. I obviously caught up on The Celtics and their 8 titles in a row and 11 in 13 years run, but also Bill Walton's UCLA career, which was unreal, and some other stuff. I know that's not the same. 

On 5/18/2017 at 7:57 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Correction: SWEPT the Bullets in '75!  What a great year that was! Berry is one of the greats! (Dr. J too, he basically invented dunking...)

10 hours ago, the chase said:

I don't disagree. That was my point. I'll take your word on anything pre-85, especially on Rick Barry because I had very little interest till 85. I have gone back and watched quite a bit. I obviously caught up on The Celtics and their 8 titles in a row and 11 in 13 years run, but also Bill Walton's UCLA career, which was unreal, and some other stuff. I know that's not the same. 

Glad you brought up Bill Walton.  He was plagued by injuries so bad they used to call him "bone spur Bill" and of course teased him about his drumming for the Greatful Dead   His short career with the Portland Trailblazers was memorable.  The year they won the title, he was as good as any center that ever played the game.  He is not on the lists with the other greats only due to longevity and his injury shortened career.  But he was some kind of player.  He was a good TV analyst too.  

Not to rub this in because I do not like Cleveland, but ht Wizards would have been a better opponent.   Boston is down 40 in the 2nd quarter for Gods sake.

^ Maybe, but I don't think anyone in the Eastern Conference would do much against Cleveland. Washington,  Toronto, Indiana, Boston.. nobody... They're on fire. They rested players the latter part of the regular season. They didn't worry too much about home court and it worked..

There's no way in hell whiny LeBron isn't going to steamroll into the finals.. up by 40 and he is still whining to the refs.. Being the best player in the world isn't enough.. EVERY call has to go his way,  

I'd say Washington and Boston are on the second tier. Cleveland, Golden State and a healthy Spurs are a notch or two better.

Isiah Thomas is hurting and has been through hell this post season. His effort has been incredible and The Celtics are still rebuilding. 

On 5/19/2017 at 6:46 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Not to rub this in because I do not like Cleveland, but ht Wizards would have been a better opponent.  

Probably true about Washington, definitely true about LeBron and the Cavs.  

6 hours ago, the chase said:

There's no way in hell whiny LeBron isn't going to steamroll into the finals.. up by 40 and he is still whining to the refs.. Being the best player in the world isn't enough.. EVERY call has to go his way,  

I'm so sick of his constant whining and complaining, why the hell do officials put up with it?

Love to see the Warriors win but damn, has this been one of the most boring playoffs in years?

Archived