Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dpat

The "ultimate" In Through the Out Door??

16 posts in this topic

... but seriously, folks -- just my opinion, mannnn, on a POSSIBLY better In Through the Out Door:

SIDE ONE

In the Evening (the only song to start this album, one of the all-time best intros to a song)

Wearing and Tearing ("It starts out like a murmur...")

Southbound Suarez/Soiree

Darlene

All My Love (with the Plant vocal cold ending)

SIDE TWO

Carouselambra

Hot Dog

I'm Gonna Crawl

Fool in the Rain ("Gotta get home now...")

Edited by dpat

The ultimate ITTOD:

In the Evening

Southbound Suarez

Fool in the Rain

Hot Dog

Carouselambra

All My Love

I'm Gonna Crawl

the end. 

1 hour ago, dpat said:

... but seriously, folks -- just my opinion, mannnn, on a POSSIBLY better In Through the Out Door:

SIDE ONE

In the Evening (the only song to start this album, one of the all-time best intros to a song)

Wearing and Tearing ("It starts out like a murmur...")

Southbound Suarez/Soiree

Darlene

All My Love (with the Plant vocal cold ending)

SIDE TWO

Carouselambra

Hot Dog

I'm Gonna Crawl

Fool in the Rain ("Gotta get home now...")

If nothing else it's great to see "Darlene" get some love.  Not a crowd favorite but a killer track which spotlights all of Zeppelin's strengths.

How about a looped tape of the run in/run out groove....

35 minutes ago, JTM said:

:hysterical:

My ultimate In Through The Outdoor.....................

2 hours ago, JTM said:

That's A Good one!!

I'd put Poor Tom on there as well, maybe to open side 1.

Darlene... musically brilliant, each verse goes up a gear, until by the end it's like their live swing. probably more than any other song actually. The lyrics are placeholders though, I can see why it didn't originally make it.

A brown paper bag with no record inside...

Only joking, I do like it, but it feels like a Plant solo album backed by Bonham/Jones and Page.

Replace Hot Dog with anything. Should have never made a Zep album. 

Posted (edited)

1) In The Evening (2015 Deluxe Mix)

2) Darlene
3) All of My Love
4) Fool in the Rain

5) South Bound Saurez
6) Carouselambra (the rougher mixed "The Epic" version)

7) Wearing and Tearing

8) Ozone Baby

Issue Hot Dog and I'm Gonna Crawl as B-Sides to In The Evening and Wearing and Tearing.

You get a diverse, but still hard hitting album that is the late 70s version of HOTH.

Edited by RoundingRover

6 hours ago, RoundingRover said:

1) In The Evening (2015 Deluxe Mix)

What?  Where's this?

On 18/11/2016 at 2:28 AM, The Dark Lord said:

The ultimate ITTOD:

In the Evening

Southbound Suarez

Fool in the Rain

Hot Dog

Carouselambra

All My Love

I'm Gonna Crawl

the end. 

Add 'Wearing and Tearing' before 'Carouselambra' and you have a deal... I do think ITTOD  is diminished somewhat by not having the former track included, that album needs at least one straight-ahead rocker, but I understand Jimmy's reasons for not including it.

Posted (edited)

I liked the ITTOD album as it was. I think that Jimmy and the band made a terrible mistake in not putting out the planned 3-song EP of outtakes prior to Knebworth and the release of ITTOD. There was just too large of a gap between the release of Presence and the release of ITTOD. Robert particularly wanted "Wearing and Tearing" put out as a single because of its punk like energy. I think releasing this EP of hard rocking tunes would've been a great lead up to Knebworth.

There is something about the sound of that record that has always bothered me, but I can't say that I blame it on the studio. Genesis recorded their "Duke" album at Polar right around the time that LZ did ITTOD, and "Duke," from a sound perspective, sounds amazing (even if you hate the material). ITTOD sounds like it was recorded in a bad rehearsal hall, although the studio was state of the art at the time. Not sure what happened. Of course the producer wasn't in the best shape at the time.

The "Epic" mix of Carouselambra was definitely better than he original.

Edited by ThreeSticks

Posted (edited)

I think I've got it:

1) In The Evening
2) South Bound Saurez
3) Carouselambra (Epic Rough Mix)
4) Ozone Baby

5) All My Love

6) Darlene

7) Wearing and Tearing

Run time: 41:49

The album starts off epic, and ends on a blistering rocking note. No Hot Dog. No "I'm Gonna Crawl" synthy fluff. We have touches of Jones' experimentation in the mighty Carouselambra, and Robert's beautiful ode to Karac, while keeping three songs that have the old Zeppelin stomp plus a fun goofy track in SBS.

Edited by RoundingRover

On 3/5/2017 at 11:12 PM, ThreeSticks said:

I liked the ITTOD album as it was. I think that Jimmy and the band made a terrible mistake in not putting out the planned 3-song EP of outtakes prior to Knebworth and the release of ITTOD. There was just too large of a gap between the release of Presence and the release of ITTOD. Robert particularly wanted "Wearing and Tearing" put out as a single because of its punk like energy. I think releasing this EP of hard rocking tunes would've been a great lead up to Knebworth.

There is something about the sound of that record that has always bothered me, but I can't say that I blame it on the studio. Genesis recorded their "Duke" album at Polar right around the time that LZ did ITTOD, and "Duke," from a sound perspective, sounds amazing (even if you hate the material). ITTOD sounds like it was recorded in a bad rehearsal hall, although the studio was state of the art at the time. Not sure what happened. Of course the producer wasn't in the best shape at the time.

The "Epic" mix of Carouselambra was definitely better than he original.

The problem is the mix feels a bit thin compared to the previous records. Very sparse. Compare it to past records. The thinness and lack of punch of the mix undermines the material and makes it sound limp. Even on songs like In The Evening which is a very strong track. Compare how weakly Page's guitar lines are mixed compared to his earlier stuff or the overall sound balance compared to Kashmir.

7 hours ago, RoundingRover said:

I think I've got it:

1) In The Evening
2) South Bound Saurez
3) Carouselambra (Epic Rough Mix)
4) Ozone Baby

5) All My Love

6) Darlene

7) Wearing and Tearing

Run time: 41:49

The album starts off epic, and ends on a blistering rocking note. No Hot Dog. No "I'm Gonna Crawl" synthy fluff. We have touches of Jones' experimentation in the mighty Carouselambra, and Robert's beautiful ode to Karac, while keeping three songs that have the old Zeppelin stomp plus a fun goofy track in SBS.

I really like that idea. Works really well. :thumbsup:

Wearing and Tearing is a cracker to close with. A really underrated song I feel.