The "ultimate" In Through the Out Door??

dpat

... but seriously, folks -- just my opinion, mannnn, on a POSSIBLY better In Through the Out Door:

SIDE ONE

In the Evening (the only song to start this album, one of the all-time best intros to a song)

Wearing and Tearing ("It starts out like a murmur...")

Southbound Suarez/Soiree

Darlene

All My Love (with the Plant vocal cold ending)

SIDE TWO

Carouselambra

Hot Dog

I'm Gonna Crawl

Fool in the Rain ("Gotta get home now...")

1 hour ago, dpat said:

... but seriously, folks -- just my opinion, mannnn, on a POSSIBLY better In Through the Out Door:

SIDE ONE

In the Evening (the only song to start this album, one of the all-time best intros to a song)

Wearing and Tearing ("It starts out like a murmur...")

Southbound Suarez/Soiree

Darlene

All My Love (with the Plant vocal cold ending)

SIDE TWO

Carouselambra

Hot Dog

I'm Gonna Crawl

Fool in the Rain ("Gotta get home now...")

If nothing else it's great to see "Darlene" get some love.  Not a crowd favorite but a killer track which spotlights all of Zeppelin's strengths.

I'd put Poor Tom on there as well, maybe to open side 1.

Darlene... musically brilliant, each verse goes up a gear, until by the end it's like their live swing. probably more than any other song actually. The lyrics are placeholders though, I can see why it didn't originally make it.

• 3 months later...

1) In The Evening (2015 Deluxe Mix)

2) Darlene
3) All of My Love
4) Fool in the Rain

5) South Bound Saurez
6) Carouselambra (the rougher mixed "The Epic" version)

7) Wearing and Tearing

8) Ozone Baby

Issue Hot Dog and I'm Gonna Crawl as B-Sides to In The Evening and Wearing and Tearing.

You get a diverse, but still hard hitting album that is the late 70s version of HOTH.

On 18/11/2016 at 2:28 AM, The Dark Lord said:

The ultimate ITTOD:

In the Evening

Southbound Suarez

Fool in the Rain

Hot Dog

Carouselambra

All My Love

I'm Gonna Crawl

the end. 

Add 'Wearing and Tearing' before 'Carouselambra' and you have a deal... I do think ITTOD  is diminished somewhat by not having the former track included, that album needs at least one straight-ahead rocker, but I understand Jimmy's reasons for not including it.

I liked the ITTOD album as it was. I think that Jimmy and the band made a terrible mistake in not putting out the planned 3-song EP of outtakes prior to Knebworth and the release of ITTOD. There was just too large of a gap between the release of Presence and the release of ITTOD. Robert particularly wanted "Wearing and Tearing" put out as a single because of its punk like energy. I think releasing this EP of hard rocking tunes would've been a great lead up to Knebworth.

There is something about the sound of that record that has always bothered me, but I can't say that I blame it on the studio. Genesis recorded their "Duke" album at Polar right around the time that LZ did ITTOD, and "Duke," from a sound perspective, sounds amazing (even if you hate the material). ITTOD sounds like it was recorded in a bad rehearsal hall, although the studio was state of the art at the time. Not sure what happened. Of course the producer wasn't in the best shape at the time.

The "Epic" mix of Carouselambra was definitely better than he original.

I think I've got it:

1) In The Evening
2) South Bound Saurez
3) Carouselambra (Epic Rough Mix)
4) Ozone Baby

5) All My Love

6) Darlene

7) Wearing and Tearing

Run time: 41:49

The album starts off epic, and ends on a blistering rocking note. No Hot Dog. No "I'm Gonna Crawl" synthy fluff. We have touches of Jones' experimentation in the mighty Carouselambra, and Robert's beautiful ode to Karac, while keeping three songs that have the old Zeppelin stomp plus a fun goofy track in SBS.

On 3/5/2017 at 11:12 PM, ThreeSticks said:

I liked the ITTOD album as it was. I think that Jimmy and the band made a terrible mistake in not putting out the planned 3-song EP of outtakes prior to Knebworth and the release of ITTOD. There was just too large of a gap between the release of Presence and the release of ITTOD. Robert particularly wanted "Wearing and Tearing" put out as a single because of its punk like energy. I think releasing this EP of hard rocking tunes would've been a great lead up to Knebworth.

There is something about the sound of that record that has always bothered me, but I can't say that I blame it on the studio. Genesis recorded their "Duke" album at Polar right around the time that LZ did ITTOD, and "Duke," from a sound perspective, sounds amazing (even if you hate the material). ITTOD sounds like it was recorded in a bad rehearsal hall, although the studio was state of the art at the time. Not sure what happened. Of course the producer wasn't in the best shape at the time.

The "Epic" mix of Carouselambra was definitely better than he original.

The problem is the mix feels a bit thin compared to the previous records. Very sparse. Compare it to past records. The thinness and lack of punch of the mix undermines the material and makes it sound limp. Even on songs like In The Evening which is a very strong track. Compare how weakly Page's guitar lines are mixed compared to his earlier stuff or the overall sound balance compared to Kashmir.

7 hours ago, RoundingRover said:

I think I've got it:

1) In The Evening
2) South Bound Saurez
3) Carouselambra (Epic Rough Mix)
4) Ozone Baby

5) All My Love

6) Darlene

7) Wearing and Tearing

Run time: 41:49

The album starts off epic, and ends on a blistering rocking note. No Hot Dog. No "I'm Gonna Crawl" synthy fluff. We have touches of Jones' experimentation in the mighty Carouselambra, and Robert's beautiful ode to Karac, while keeping three songs that have the old Zeppelin stomp plus a fun goofy track in SBS.

I really like that idea. Works really well. :thumbsup:

Wearing and Tearing is a cracker to close with. A really underrated song I feel.

• 5 months later...

Anything is better than how it is now. I'd break carouselambra into two songs, (Carousel and Lambra ? HAHA), then throw "lambra" and Fool in the Rain into a shredder so that they could never be found and put onto a Zep "lost cuts" album. Darlene is AWESOME and I love Wearing and Tearing. So ditching the two and putting in the other two should do it. Then the weakest cuts would be All of My Love and Hot Dog. Both are listenable unlike FITR and the last half of Carouselambra.

16 minutes ago, dandak said:

Anything is better than how it is now. I'd break carouselambra into two songs, (Carousel and Lambra ? HAHA), then throw "lambra" and Fool in the Rain into a shredder so that they could never be found and put onto a Zep "lost cuts" album. Darlene is AWESOME and I love Wearing and Tearing. So ditching the two and putting in the other two should do it. Then the weakest cuts would be All of My Love and Hot Dog. Both are listenable unlike FITR and the last half of Carouselambra.

Ditch FITR? I am not sure if you were around or old enough in 1979 but I was, and can assure you the biggest song (popularity wise) off of ITTOD was FITR by a country mile. That song was being played on a non-stop loop on FM rock radio from August 79' well into the 80's. All of My Love though also a popular tune did not even come close in popularity until the mid-80's. Plus, FITR is one of the best John Bonham drum tracks hands down. 

Dark Lord had it right, the album was perfect in regard to songs and pacing upon initial release. The only issue I have ever had with ITTOD was the mix, particularly on Carouselambra, however this was mostly fixed with the release of The Epic, otherwise known as the mix which SHOULD have been used.

The hate for IGC makes no sense as this was, IMO, the best blues song the band composed hands down. Jimmy constructs what is perhaps his best blues solo, Robert's vocals are otherworldly, and Jones & Bonham are sublime yet powerful. The ultimate album closer of any Zeppelin album.

2 hours ago, IpMan said:

Ditch FITR? I am not sure if you were around or old enough in 1979 but I was, and can assure you the biggest song (popularity wise) off of ITTOD was FITR by a country mile. That song was being played on a non-stop loop on FM rock radio from August 79' well into the 80's. All of My Love though also a popular tune did not even come close in popularity until the mid-80's. Plus, FITR is one of the best John Bonham drum tracks hands down. 

Dark Lord had it right, the album was perfect in regard to songs and pacing upon initial release. The only issue I have ever had with ITTOD was the mix, particularly on Carouselambra, however this was mostly fixed with the release of The Epic, otherwise known as the mix which SHOULD have been used.

The hate for IGC makes no sense as this was, IMO, the best blues song the band composed hands down. Jimmy constructs what is perhaps his best blues solo, Robert's vocals are otherworldly, and Jones & Bonham are sublime yet powerful. The ultimate album closer of any Zeppelin album.

I second this whole post. :)

Not only was Fool in the Rain immensely popular, it is a fantastic song and an amazing performance and recording.  Every element is strong, and the whole thing comes together perfectly.

It is one of Plant's finest vocal and lyrical efforts, ever.  Bonham is monstrous, the piano and bass are rampaging, and Page just kills it on everything he plays.

It is exuberant and lively.  It fits that old definition of rock and roll as being fun songs about sad things.

For me the ultimate Out Door is the original release as so well described above.  And yet the outtakes are fantastic and show that the band was having so much FUN and had so much energy and life in them after everything they had been through.  A bonus disc of:

Ozone Baby - a bit lightweight but so much fun and swagger and life.  And Jones is out of this world.

Darlene - a real gem from start to finish.  Everyone kicks out the Jams !  It is a real great tribute to their early rock and rockabilly heroes, updated for the Zep sound and the 70s.  Much better than Candy Story Rock which was in the same vein.  The ending jam on Darlene could go on forever.  They are so dialed in.  It swings like mad and Page is on fire.  When I read about Page being out of it during these sessions I wonder how he could have played tracks like Darlene, Ozone Baby, and Wearing and Tearing.  He is a force of nature, keeping up with Jones and Bonham every step of the way.

Bonzo's Montreux - astonishing, with or without the "electronic treatments" that Jimmy added - what a drum track !!

Wearing and Tearing - simply incredible in every way.  If only this had been a single in spring 1979 as originally planned.

and, Fire, or whatever is was called.  That is a new direction and shows alot of spark and creativity.  So sad it was never finished.

45 minutes ago, John M said:

Not only was Fool in the Rain immensely popular, it is a fantastic song and an amazing performance and recording.  Every element is strong, and the whole thing comes together perfectly.

It is one of Plant's finest vocal and lyrical efforts, ever.  Bonham is monstrous, the piano and bass are rampaging, and Page just kills it on everything he plays.

It is exuberant and lively.  It fits that old definition of rock and roll as being fun songs about sad things.

For me the ultimate Out Door is the original release as so well described above.  And yet the outtakes are fantastic and show that the band was having so much FUN and had so much energy and life in them after everything they had been through.  A bonus disc of:

Ozone Baby - a bit lightweight but so much fun and swagger and life.  And Jones is out of this world.

Darlene - a real gem from start to finish.  Everyone kicks out the Jams !  It is a real great tribute to their early rock and rockabilly heroes, updated for the Zep sound and the 70s.  Much better than Candy Story Rock which was in the same vein.  The ending jam on Darlene could go on forever.  They are so dialed in.  It swings like mad and Page is on fire.  When I read about Page being out of it during these sessions I wonder how he could have played tracks like Darlene, Ozone Baby, and Wearing and Tearing.  He is a force of nature, keeping up with Jones and Bonham every step of the way.

Bonzo's Montreux - astonishing, with or without the "electronic treatments" that Jimmy added - what a drum track !!

Wearing and Tearing - simply incredible in every way.  If only this had been a single in spring 1979 as originally planned.

and, Fire, or whatever is was called.  That is a new direction and shows alot of spark and creativity.  So sad it was never finished.

Great post!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2017 at 11:23 AM, IpMan said:

I was 18 and had eagerly waited for the release, being a Led head since 1973. I am well aware how popular it was. But just because it was popular doesn't mean it was good. Look at some of the music today.  But then thats why Baskin Robbins has 38 flavors, if everybody was the same they would only have one (and it would be black cherry!!!).

Archived