The "Led Zeppelin" Lighted 1975 Backdrop

3 hours ago, badgeholder said:

I remember an announcement before the show assuring those sitting behind it not to worry, that once the lights hit it you would be able to see right through it 

Not so much because of the lighted 'Led Zeppelin' sign (which wasn't really used during the main concert but at the end), but because of the scrim behind the stage. With the house lights up it looked like a big movie screen and you would think anyone sitting behind the stage would have a hard time seeing. But once the Forum went dark and the stage lights took effect, the scrim became see-through and you could still see the band.

Ah, since Steve A. has not mentioned this, I thought those lights were only at the Earl's Court shows. Also as I remember

Jimmy didn't have his black dragon suit in 75' US tour dates, clearly evident in the pictures , but in full force in the

EC shows. Or maybe there just wasn't many or any shots of the "US" lights. There is for example one shot from 75'

where Page brandishing his dbl-neck in 75' and wearing dark shades, never seen before. Clues are very long hair,

and slight pot belly, so not 73' or 77'. Whatever, I thought I read the lights were EC only , could be wrong.

6 hours ago, Matjaz1 said:

What was that spinning thing in Trampled under foot!? The song is real fun and dance! How is that called!? That was some kitch! 

It was a huge white light with a wheel of colored gells that spun around. Kinda like the mini ones people used to use to light their christmas trees

vintage-Penetray-Christmas-tree-color-wheel-rotating-light-in-box-works-Laurel-Leaf-Farm-item-no-k62535-1.jpg

20 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

Ah, since Steve A. has not mentioned this, I thought those lights were only at the Earl's Court shows. Also as I remember

Jimmy didn't have his black dragon suit in 75' US tour dates, clearly evident in the pictures , but in full force in the

EC shows. Or maybe there just wasn't many or any shots of the "US" lights. There is for example one shot from 75'

where Page brandishing his dbl-neck in 75' and wearing dark shades, never seen before. Clues are very long hair,

and slight pot belly, so not 73' or 77'. Whatever, I thought I read the lights were EC only , could be wrong.

You are wrong. That's why Badgeholder and I were discussing the announcements made prior to the shows at the L.A. Forum (and Long Beach Arena) on that 1975 tour. 

I mean, that was the whole hoopla about the E.C. shows to begin with...finally Led Zeppelin would be able to use the same lighting and effects in England that they had long been able to use in the United States, thanks to our superior electrical power.

As for Jimmy's black dragon suit, he debuted the pants at the last Forum show, March 27, 1975. I guess the top wasn't ready yet.

46 minutes ago, Strider said:

You are wrong. That's why Badgeholder and I were discussing the announcements made prior to the shows at the L.A. Forum (and Long Beach Arena) on that 1975 tour. 

I mean, that was the whole hoopla about the E.C. shows to begin with...finally Led Zeppelin would be able to use the same lighting and effects in England that they had long been able to use in the United States, thanks to our superior electrical power.

As for Jimmy's black dragon suit, he debuted the pants at the last Forum show, March 27, 1975. I guess the top wasn't ready yet.

I have to admit, I've always assumed the same thing about the lighted logo till this thread. I definitely did not think it was used thru the entire 75 tour.

Well that's interesting, either I missed that fact in the dozens of Zep books I have, or never saw a shot of Jimmy with

the black dragon pants live in the 75' stateside tour. Then again it was nearing the end, so that's why it wasn't maybe

mentioned more. Just like rare shots of Jimmy playing the Strat on OTHAFA at EC, or playing the Gibson RD Artist on

MMH in 79'.

Funny, seen that picture countless times. One clue perhaps is that Jimmy's hair was slightly shorter, also EC shows 

Jimmy is using rollers or seems to have a perm. I think back in the day when they had those huge Zep posters that

shot was very commonly used, along with other shots and Zep members. I always got a shot of adrenaline going into

those Intrigue or Spencer's shops, 10 to 15 Zep posters. I always thought yes you have classic rock but THEN you

have Zep.

23 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

Funny, seen that picture countless times. One clue perhaps is that Jimmy's hair was slightly shorter, also EC shows 

Jimmy is using rollers or seems to have a perm. I think back in the day when they had those huge Zep posters that

shot was very commonly used, along with other shots and Zep members. I always got a shot of adrenaline going into

those Intrigue or Spencer's shops, 10 to 15 Zep posters. I always thought yes you have classic rock but THEN you

have Zep.

Here are some more classic Neal Preston photos from the March 27, 1975 Forum show where Jimmy debuted the black dragon pants.

3.jpg

jimmy-page-e-robert-plant-em-show-retratado-pelo-fotografo-neal-preston-no-livro-sound-and-fury-1367879524196_780x565.jpg

Ha Ha. A part of my brain must have fallen out. The Forum with those steel girders( whatever they're called) above and 

sort of surrounding the band is clearly a Forum marker. At the same time the last two photos posted I always tagged

as from the 75' US tour. Actually Luis Rey may have instilled these minor errors in his first book in me, but still I'm

not blaming him, It's still me ultimately interpreting things wrongly.

This is all a bit foggy now, but I seem to recall reading in 1975 that Battersea Power Station had to carefully monitor the electric demand those nights, generating more power to support the high demand in Earls Court.  It was probably no more different to all these other major sports and entertainment events that where there was a period of higher-than-normal demand.   I think it was something Peter Grant took care that their important shows wouldn't get embarrassingly cut short because of, a short.

Archived