What the hell is going on with Bonzo on 9/29?

Bozoso73

Probably for the 3451th time but Im trying to understand the dialogue but really cant get it on either of my copies. . .Jonesy has issues earlier. . their loose and having fun. .Bonzo is gone for ages. . I get a kick when you hear the banter and Plantisms:):) 

It's his thick Midlands accent but I'm convinced he feels worse as the show continues.Stomach cramps (Cucumber allergy)?  "My limbs feel like jelly" "I don't wanna play...Max Wall, Ugly I am". The most fascinating thing however is that he takes the lead during the WLL medley.."Fortune Teller" and other songs are clearly announced by John Henry

thanks duckman for the reply. . I too drum and understand sometimes limbs dont work. . but is he drinking?? He runs off and they play w/out him for a couple songs. . OOHHH and is this the weekend Percy and Bonzo got into it??

2 hours ago, bluecongo said:

My understanding is that Bonzo had sushi induced diarrhea attack and had to flee the stage and shit his brains out. 

Serioulsy.  

That has always been my understanding, as well. When the band started the acoustic segment, Bonham took this as his cue to go relieve himself, figuring he had time. But he did not realize that Robert, Jimmy, and Jones would throw a curve by deciding to do an impromptu "Friends" after "Going to California".

That's why Robert starts getting pissy...they want to start "Friends" but they didn't realize Bonham had gone to take a shit. So to stall for time until Bonzo returned, Robert and Jimmy do "Tangerine". Then when Bonham finally manifests himself to the stage, they finally can do "Friends".

It is quite an amusing interlude in the annals of live Led Zeppelin.

45 minutes ago, Strider said:

That has always been my understanding, as well. When the band started the acoustic segment, Bonham took this as his cue to go relieve himself, figuring he had time. But he did not realize that Robert, Jimmy, and Jones would throw a curve by deciding to do an impromptu "Friends" after "Going to California".

That's why Robert starts getting pissy...they want to start "Friends" but they didn't realize Bonham had gone to take a shit. So to stall for time until Bonzo returned, Robert and Jimmy do "Tangerine". Then when Bonham finally manifests himself to the stage, they finally can do "Friends".

In the annals of live Zep....no pun intended??

?

47 minutes ago, Strider said:

Thanks Strider. . I figured you of all would know what was goin on. . Is this the night Percy and Bonzo get into it?

1 hour ago, Bozoso73 said:

Thanks Strider. . I figured you of all would know what was goin on. . Is this the night Percy and Bonzo get into it?

That I do not know for certain. I know it has been mentioned in several books...none of which I can get to at the moment to corraborate a specific date. Sam or Steve or someone else might be able to verify.

Anyway, I am just glad they had the good humour and patience to wait for Bonzo, so that we could at last hear a live version of "Friends".

7 hours ago, Strider said:

That I do not know for certain. I know it has been mentioned in several books...none of which I can get to at the moment to corraborate a specific date. Sam or Steve or someone else might be able to verify.

Anyway, I am just glad they had the good humour and patience to wait for Bonzo, so that we could at last hear a live version of "Friends".

I never realized this is the only Friends in the annuls. . 

Strider. . You are in the air above the din when it comes to this site. . I gotta ask . . whats your prized LZ possession? Or moment? 

Right after DC you can hear Bonham retching and saying "What's up with that?" Retch again, and then warn Plant "I puked on that".

I doubt he was inebriated because of his outstanding performance. Food poisoning comes to my mind as a culprit when it come from both ends.

5 hours ago, MightyLedZeppelin said:

Although this show is a great performance, do you think this concert wouldn't be as highly regarded had the whole "Mr. Bonham" episode never happened?   Whenever I think of this show the first thing I think of is Robert calling for Bonham andhow funny it is.

Let's see...

1. A crushing, seismic "Immigrant Song" starts things off with a bang, including an ultra-long solo with an extra wah-wah section never heard on any other bootleg.

2. One of the greatest "Dazed and Confused" ever, with an especially musically moody bow segment and the surprise drop-in performance of "Pennies from Heaven". Another once-in-a-lifetime moment.

3. "Celebration Day". The 1971 CDs have a special place in my heart...for Jimmy's use of the 12-string and for the gargantuan propulsive rhythm section that Jones and Bonham cooked up for the song on the 1971 tour. 9.29 Osaka is the most monstrous of all...Bonzo is literally hammering his drums to death and the mid-beat pauses he takes in the outro solo are breathtaking.

4. The beauty of the Acoustic Set. Starting with a sublime "That's the Way" and the longest "Going to California" ever. Nine glorious minutes of Jimmy and Jonesy weaving a guitar and mandolin tapestry of magic.

5. The only known concert recording of "Friends" (the Bombay recordings don't count). Enough said.

6. A "Moby Dick" that, if not the best, certainly is in the top 3 or 5. 

7. "Whole Lotta Love" medley...another one that is Top 3 or 5 all-time. "I Gotta Know" is worth the price of admission alone. Add in "Fortune Teller, "Good Times Bad Times", and that awesome funky break in the middle that links it all together...the band is so damn good.

8. Another ripping "Thank You".

9. The performances of all the other songs never sink below "good" and most are very good to great, if not definitive. "Black Dog" is certainly one of the best ones they ever did.

Yeah...I think it is fair to say this show would be highly regarded, with or without Bonzo's diarrhea episode.

Funnily enough, Bonham is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of 9.29.71...but not for the reason you mention. No, when I think of this concert the first thing that comes to mind is Bonham at the beginning shouting: "Zeppelin LOUDER!"

1 hour ago, Mr_K said:

Strider - Nice job!

Excellent summary , Strider.  I love when Bonzo stomps his bass drum and shouts " Zeppelin , louder, louder" ...then the explosion of Immigrant Song. A great bootleg moment.  I also get a laugh every time I hear Plant admonish the audience before Stairway , about being much too quiet, too silly , fast asleep. LOL! Just a fucking epic show all around. 

Thanks Strider, great info. I haven't given this a run yet as I do prize the better sound quality shows but since I do have the Winston, I'll be difinitely giving this a crack.

i really should work out the top 5 shows from each tour sound and performance wise, so at least I know I have heard their best each run. So many boots, so little time....

Archived