TSRTS footage

Bozoso73

Discussed here many times before (search function). There was a bootleg video of additional footage released on VHS circa 1992 called The First Cuts. The most remarkable footage it contains was Maureen Plant instead of the blonde actress (her name escapes me at the moment...she has posted here before) at Raglan Castle. 

8 hours ago, Wolfman said:

I have a copy of it. Best footage are the interviews with the crowd while they are waiting to get in.

8 hours ago, Wolfman said:

I have a copy of it. Best footage are the interviews with the crowd while they are waiting to get in.

WOLFMAN!! Talk to me. . whats it like?  Is it a whole show or parts of different nights put together? DVD or VHS? Id love a copy big guy:):):):)

The lowdown:

2-3 cameramen per night, with one guy shooting from center stage down in the front row and another roaming around; the 27th had a camera shooting the full stage and the 29th had a guy shooting from behind the stage and stage left from a higher vantage point.

Most of the footage circulating can be sourced from The Song Remains the Same or the Led Zeppelin DVD, but your best bet for alternative material is in the 35 minute outtake compilation as mentioned above:

Besides what shows up here, there's also excerpts from the ending of Whole Lotta Love (again, but with alternate footage), Since I've Been Loving You (with no new footage), the Dazed and Confused bow solo (again, but with alternate footage), and Moby Dick (with alternate footage and fantasy material).

Audience-shot footage from all three nights exists as well.

• Administrators

I spoke with one of the camera operators a while back. He recalls up to four 35mm cameras (depending on which night) - Arriflex 35BL with 400' film cartridges.  The crew met at the Drake Hotel in the afternoon of July 24th and took some footage in the lobby. They traveled with with the band to Newark Airport and filmed the famous shots outside the Starship before their departure. Apparently, a considerable amount was filmed at the Pittsburgh concert, from the limo ride to Three Rivers Stadium, throughout the concert & offstage. (Publicly, there's only been some very short clips seen).

A 16mm Éclair ACL camera was occasionally used for insert shots / offstage and crowd shots. 

The camera crew would take notes & photos through each of these last gigs (from July 24-29), to learn the song order and the stage lighting etc.

The film would be taken to Aquarius Transfer in NYC -  the dailies watched with the Director of Photography as well as Peter Grant, Robert and JP.

On 11/25/2016 at 11:22 PM, Bozoso73 said:

WOLFMAN!! Talk to me. . whats it like?  Is it a whole show or parts of different nights put together? DVD or VHS? Id love a copy big guy:):):):)

It's VHS. To be honest, it's pretty boring in certain parts. Let me dig it out and see if I can make you a copy.

4 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

I spoke with one of the camera operators a while back. He recalls up to four 35mm cameras (depending on which night) - Arriflex 35BL with 400' film cartridges.  The crew met at the Drake Hotel in the afternoon of July 24th and took some footage in the lobby. They traveled with with the band to Newark Airport and filmed the famous shots outside the Starship before their departure. Apparently, a considerable amount was filmed at the Pittsburgh concert, from the limo ride to Three Rivers Stadium, throughout the concert & offstage. (Publicly, there's only been some very short clips seen).

A 16mm Éclair ACL camera was occasionally used for insert shots / offstage and crowd shots. 

The camera crew would take notes & photos through each of these last gigs (from July 24-29), to learn the song order and the stage lighting etc.

The film would be taken to Aquarius Transfer in NYC -  the dailies watched with the Director of Photography as well as Peter Grant, Robert and JP.

Great post.

11 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Weren't some backstage scenes filmed in Baltimore, like security chasing after that hippy, and Grant dressing down security for permitting unauthorized poster sales?

16 hours ago, Wolfman said:

It's VHS. To be honest, it's pretty boring in certain parts. Let me dig it out and see if I can make you a copy.

Wolfman you are the man! Thank you so much and let me know when you've got a copy I'll send you postage:)  after all these years you haven't put it to DVD? Just wondering 

10 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Weren't some backstage scenes filmed in Baltimore, like security chasing after that hippy, and Grant dressing down security for permitting unauthorized poster sales?

Correct. 

On the evening of July 23, 1973, Led Zeppelin manager Peter Grant confronted a concessionaire at the Baltimore Civic Center. Bud Becker, who has been involved in the concert and music business for decades, including many years at the Baltimore Civic Center, has confirmed through his sources that the concessionaire may be named  Denny, and he ran concessions for ARA, short for Automatic Retailers of America, and now known as ARAMARK.

These transcriptions are probably 95% (or higher) accurate.

Peter Grant: The song remains the same. It's fucking true isn't it? A bit? He comes round he's selling pirate posters there as well inside the building. And the concessionaire 'I don't know man' - you know, one of those.

Robert Plant: Are they good?

Peter Grant: No, they're fucking terrible. They're the first photos.

Robert Plant: Oh, no!

Peter Grant: The ol' Chris Dreja special was wheeled out once again. Oh, I can't take it.

Robert Plant: I think we oughta be pirates.

Peter Grant: And when you give them a call nobody knows, right.

Robert Plant: This is a song that sometimes takes a building in a  manner in which our forefathers were very used to. Did you hear that?

(Off camera): Yeah, I couldn't believe it.

Robert Plant: It's right though, isn't it? That feeling that's left everybody. The cosmic energy. Everybody goes yeah - bash!

----------------------

Peter Grant: Don't fucking talk to him, it's my bloody act. I'd do better to leave you anytime, you couldn't even get in the starting line. (pause) You're gonna tell me that you let - I bet it wouldn't happen in Europe or England.

Concessionaire: I don't know how the guy got in the building. This isn't Europe or England.

Peter Grant: No, I can see that cause you're so inefficient.

Concessionaire: (to attorney Steven Weiss): Evidently somebody got in the building.

Attorney Steven Weiss (to Concessionaire): Listen, listen this is bigger than that. It doesn't matter. 

Listen.

Peter Grant: Talk to me, cause I'm, I'm, I'm the manager of the group. You had people inside this building selling posters and you didn't know anything about it?

Concessionaire: I didn't know about it. As soon as we found out about it we stopped it.

Peter Grant: Yeah, as soon as we found out about it and told you, you stopped it.

Concessionaire: Alright, so you caught him before I did.

Peter Grant: Right? You know. Well, How much kick back are you getting?

Concessionaire: None! I knew nothing about it.

Peter Grant: Oh, come on! You don't know your fucking concessionaire? Your mate's selling the t-shirts 

and making fucking door tags, you know.

Controller: And he's the one who told Richard about it also. He came back and got - didn't he come back and tell you?

Peter Grant: Well, he does everything, doesn't he? He does the security one night, one night he's the guard of the fucking dressing room. That's fucking typical isn't it? So long as we screw you an extra few bob out of the group (unintelligible)

Controller: You really think I get something out of that?

Peter Grant: You're the fucking controller of the date you silly cunt, aren't ya!?

Controller: Well, that's like saying that anybody that jumps on the stage I'm responsible for too. I don't know who's gonna do that.

Peter Grant: No. Oh, of course it's not. It's your responsibility to see that the concessionaire in the building - you arranged it, you arranged it and you controlled it - isn't selling fucking pirate posters. You have to have someone else to come and tell you that it's doing. It doesn't matter as long as there's an extra nickel to be drained, by exploiting Led Zeppelin it's great. You know? With the fucking stars and stripes behind it.

Off-camera: Well, we never, we never took a dime from concessions yet - on anything.

----------------------

• Administrators
10 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Yes, as mentioned above, some off-stage clips were done in Baltimore. The comments I posted were describing this cameraman's involvement and the full crew which began on the 24th. 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, ledzepfilm said:

I'm assuming the footage of Bonham dancing on the DVD credits is Pittsburgh? Sam, do you know how much of the concert they shot in Pittsburgh?

That footage of Bonham dancing was in the hotel lobby. Not sure how much concert footage they actually filmed in Pittsburgh. 

Archived