Bonzo in K.C. 1971

Bozoso73

Im listening to St. Louis 2/16/1975. After IMTOD Percy is getting ready to introduce TSRTS and starts talking about Bonzo getting arrested in Kansas City 4 years earlier. . "remember the jails John?? Fantastic!" Anyway does anyone have detail of this (Im sure crazy) night with Bonzo in KC?? 

15 minutes ago, Bozoso73 said:

Im listening to St. Louis 2/16/1975. After IMTOD Percy is getting ready to introduce TSRTS and starts talking about Bonzo getting arrested in Kansas City 4 years earlier. . "remember the jails John?? Fantastic!" Anyway does anyone have detail of this (Im sure crazy) night with Bonzo in KC?? 

Yes. I posted the details here before (search function). As I recall they had returned to their hotel after the show and drinking ensued. Police responded in the early morning hours and he was taken into custody (for public intoxication as I recall). He was bailed out later that morning and they pressed on to their next gig. 

Posted August 6, 2014 · Report post

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2014 at 8:00 AM, Walter said:

SAJ, is that the show Bonzo was arrested after? Robert refers to it at the St. Louis '75 show. Possibly why they "never went to KC anymore".... ;)

You're referring to their two public performances (7pm & 9:30pm) at the Memorial Hall in Kansas City on November 5, 1969. Bonham had gotten so drunk he nearly missed that second show. Afterward, Page, Plant, Bonham and Cole went drinking at the bar of their hotel, the Muehlbach. Bonham was arrested in the lobby the morning of November 6th for public drunkenness. He was released very soon after and the band continued on with him to San Francisco later that afternoon.

Kanas City (date & venue unconfirmed...most likely Arrowhead Stadium) is included on their Aug/Sep 1975 tour itinerary, all of which was cancelled following Robert's auto crash.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2014 at 10:17 AM, Dr Death said:

Actually, the rumor here in KC was far worse... it was "rumored" that during that show that Bonzo passed out from being drunk and the band were booed off stage. So, when finally standing face to face with Page himself, I decided to delicately bring the subject up. I explained that it was a "rumor" and that all I was asking for was his recollection of that night, since, as you pointed out, Zep never returned to KC.

Jimmy listened, looking me in the eyes, and then denied that Bonzo had "passed out" during the show. He said he wasn't sure about why they never returned here - could be promoters or something else at the venue - either Kemper Arena or Arrowhead Stadium - that prevented them from coming, but he ended that bit of conversation by saying - and I quote: 'I absolutely love Kansas City!'

I found out in 1998 that Page actually knows someone who lives here and visits - or at least used to - once a year, sometimes twice. And after learning of this I went back and checked, and on both times that Page/Plant came here - 5 May 1995 and 6 June 1998 - they had at least one day off prior to their show here. One day in 1998 and two days in 1995. As well, in 1988 on the Outrider Tour he played Oakland on the 11th of October, had the 12th and 13th off, played here the 14th, then was off the 15th.

It should be noted that he went to an area here in town called Westport where local bands used to jam all the time and he visited two bars and got up and played - one with a local band and one with someone who was touring an album - can't recall who, but they weren't very big. Anyway, point is, he seems to always have some time to hang out... or visit with friends, when he does visit KC and has even taken to the bars to rock out with local and not-so-famous bands.

Like I said prior, he's an extremely gracious and kind soul!

On the Outrider tour he was checked into the Westin Crown Center for four nights (Oct 13-16 1988). The gig on Oct 14th was switched from an arena-sized venue (Kemper Arena) to the smaller Memorial Hall. While in town, within hours of arrival, he & his assistant (Phil Carlo) attended a Tough Enough gig at Harris House on Oct 13th. Jimmy got up and jammed with them. Then they went down the street to a place called Lonestar, where he jammed with another local band, called Nelson.

On my Facebook site I have photos of Jimmy, Jason & Durban relaxing with fans at Westin Crown Center's hotel bar after the Memorial Hall gig.

Wasn't rented gear used at that '69 KC show? I recall reading that. At least Bonzo had to use a different drum kit. He probably hated it and started drinking even more. I recall the bootleg of that second show sounding pretty sloppy, but no passing out occurs

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, badgeholder said:

Wasn't rented gear used at that '69 KC show? I recall reading that. At least Bonzo had to use a different drum kit. He probably hated it and started drinking even more. I recall the bootleg of that second show sounding pretty sloppy, but no passing out occurs

All rented equipment. Rare pics on the TImeline page:

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/november-5-1969

14 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Actually, the rumor here in KC was far worse... it was "rumored" that during that show that Bonzo passed out from being drunk and the band were booed off stage.

I just read the entry on The Year of Led Zeppelin blog on this concert. Haven't heard the bootleg myself, but if it's as bad as he describes it being, it wouldn't surprise me if they were booed. How embarrassing!

Link: http://www.theyearofledzeppelin.com/2008/02/day-33-1151969-kansas-city-ks.html

Archived