Peter Grant

Boy can you see the menace as well as the charm in that second interview! Grant might have lost a lot of weight by then but he hadn't lost that look in the eyes that says "don't mess me around if you know what's good for you sonny"

• 3 weeks later...

Funny, there was a Peter Grant movie planned or considered, just like about Zep. Well according to what I know the "Zep"

movie turned into "Almost Famous". Forgot about the Grant movie. I must say, however, that the band looked and acted

so uniquely, IMO there's no way a Zep movie could be properly casted. Even JPJ is a character, nobody would want

a Zep cartoon. And Grant of course paved the way for many other bands getting tough managers, though not

nearly as violent.

• 2 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 1:32 PM, craigled said:

Great interview. No he was not a member of the band. But he was very vital. Think Peter and Smallwood(Maiden) are the best in their role.

Peter Grant was a member of Led Zeppelin.  He just did not play an instrument or appear on stage with Them.  Peter Grant was the Man who led Zeppelin.  He was an equal member because He got an equal share of all royalties and profits from every album and tour that Led Zeppelin ever partook.  He was even listed as an "Executive Producer" on every Led Zeppelin Album from the beginning to the end.  He was so integral to Led Zeppelin's success that Peter Grant received an equal share to all of Led Zeppelin's success.  He was the definitely the "5th" member.  If Led Zeppelin received $100,00 for a gig, Mr. Grant got $20,00 for said gig. 

2 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

^That remains my favourite unofficial/unreleased piece. Was good to see Jennings on the re-release - but these early takes, building from the most basic start. UNREAL.

Love Bonham near the start too wailing away like the blues have possessed him. (I'm pretty sure its Bonzo)

7 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Peter Grant was a member of Led Zeppelin.  He just did not play an instrument or appear on stage with Them.  Peter Grant was the Man who led Zeppelin.  He was an equal member because He got an equal share of all royalties and profits from every album and tour that Led Zeppelin ever partook.  He was even listed as an "Executive Producer" on every Led Zeppelin Album from the beginning to the end.  He was so integral to Led Zeppelin's success that Peter Grant received an equal share to all of Led Zeppelin's success.  He was the definitely the "5th" member.  If Led Zeppelin received $100,00 for a gig, Mr. Grant got $20,00 for said gig. 

Exactly!!! 

On 12/25/2016 at 8:50 PM, Mithril46 said:

Funny, there was a Peter Grant movie planned or considered, just like about Zep. Well according to what I know the "Zep"

movie turned into "Almost Famous". Forgot about the Grant movie. I must say, however, that the band looked and acted

so uniquely, IMO there's no way a Zep movie could be properly casted. Even JPJ is a character, nobody would want

a Zep cartoon. And Grant of course paved the way for many other bands getting tough managers, though not

nearly as violent.

I don't think Almost Famous started out as a project about Zeppelin.  Source?

On 12/25/2016 at 8:50 PM, Mithril46 said:

nearly as violent.

Peter Grant had no say whatsoever in the musical direction of Led Zeppelin .. and he didn't want any say for that matter. He was their Business Manager. They did their thing musically and he ran the business end. 

11 hours ago, JeffLZ said:

it starts out and remains a story about Cameron Crowe by Cameron Crowe and the love of rock n roll. If there was a grant film, it was separate from Crowe's movie. I would like to see a film based on grant's life.  Those old stories about Little Richard on tour would be great fodder!

I asked this in another thread, but it never got answered.....

In The Hammer Of The Gods, Davis talks about a conversation that took place between Cole and Page backstage in LA on the ARMS tour. Cole asked Page, "So how's fatso (meaning Grant). Jimmy replied, "I fired that fatso (bleep) (bleep) (bleep)." You get the idea. It wasn't very complementary towards Grant.

Did Peter and Page have a major falling out in the early 80's? It is just seems odd that Jimmy would be so nasty to a guy who did so much for him as a person. Way more than Cole ever did.

Edited by ThreeSticks

Mick Wall speculated in his Zep book that Jimmy Page was angry at Grant for negotiating Plant's solo deal with Atlantic. The final nail in the Zeppelin coffin as it were.

I still think that encounter as described by Stephen Davis is nonsense, apart from anything else, it doesn't sound like the way Page talks.

The Peter Grant film was one of Malcolm McClaren's many spurious projects. Ok, I love the Pistols and McClaren could be a funny bloke, especially when he set off pontificating in those stupid voices - but he was a complete shyster, so if this film had ever been made it would've been a total travesty! McClaren did actually meet Peter to discuss the idea but, well, I'm glad no one would stump up the money... 

Edited by Brigante

15 hours ago, ThreeSticks said:

I asked this in another thread, but it never got answered.....

In The Hammer Of The Gods, Davis talks about a conversation that took place between Cole and Page backstage in LA on the ARMS tour. Cole asked Page, "So how's fatso (meaning Grant). Jimmy replied, "I fired that fatso (bleep) (bleep) (bleep)." You get the idea. It wasn't very complementary towards Grant.

Unless Page states otherwise, I believe this is a complete fabrication by Cole, and an inexcusable one at that. 

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Unless Page states otherwise, I believe this is a complete fabrication by Cole, and an inexcusable one at that. 

Grant entered a period of darkness in his life following the end of Led Zeppelin, withdrawing from nearly everyone and everything. I can see where Cole, who was fired by Grant about four years prior to the book being published, and Page may have vented their frustrations towards him that night in the manner in which the book suggests.

2 hours ago, IpMan said:

Cole was supposedly in L.A. hiding because he was still scared that Peter Grant was on the look out for him for some of the things he had said about Grant's kids after Cole was canned. I still cannot imagine what Cole went through rotting in an Italian prison cell on some crazy terrorism charge and having to cold turkey at the same time. Unless the guards gave him dope in prison, we can only assume he had to kick in the most horrendous conditions, because he wasn't clean when he got arrested. Gees. Of course it took him several years to clean up for good.

Edited by ThreeSticks

23 hours ago, Mercurious said:

it starts out and remains a story about Cameron Crowe by Cameron Crowe and the love of rock n roll. If there was a grant film, it was separate from Crowe's movie. I would like to see a film based on grant's life.  Those old stories about Little Richard on tour would be great fodder!

The OP stated "Well according to what I know the "Zep"movie turned into "Almost Famous""

I was just stating that I don't think Almost Famous was ever a movie that was going to be just about Zeppelin.

I like Peter Grant.  He was a great manager but the incident in Oakland was insane and I'm gonna just put it out there - his demise of being in control of himself and his business affairs brought on the end of Led Zeppelin to include the end of Swan Song Records.  Jimmy Page was the leader of the band, plain and simple.  Sure - others had input but Jimmy started it, he was in charge of the recording and at least "suggested" the decisions.  With his rumored issues being severe, no one was left to be in charge.  A healthy Grant would have kept the whole thing in line.  After the death of the child - Grant let the record company flounder.  He was supposed to run the company.  A healthy Grant may have even gotten Page straightened out.  It's not his fault totally because Page is just as much to blame.

I had never seen these pictures before until they were in the Grant video above (from youtube).  Amazing that all the books I've read - none had this picture of when Jimmy signed Zeppelin to Atlantic.  Great picture!  Question - it looks like Jeff Beck was there also -- Why was he there?  

beck weiss page grant 68.JPG

page grant ahmet 68.JPG