Peter Grant

The wiki-page says there was a lawsuit, but I've not read that before.  I'm on the lookout for the Grant book, which would solve all of these mysteries.  There is a thread on here about the Grant book from a few years back but it devolves into discussion of the incident in Oakland.  Grant cleaned himself up in the late 1980s and was reportedly seen with Jimmy attending a Frank Sinatra performance in London in 1989. This was apparently the first time in years Grant had been seen in public.  I would tend to lean toward Jimmy being frustrated with everybody at one point or another in the 1980s, including himself, so if he and Grant were ever at odds, that didn't last.  

As for Richard Cole - what's said in LA should stay in LA, unless it's something good.

Edited by Mercurious

On 3/7/2017 at 7:42 AM, blindwillie127 said:

Just after the 6:00 minute mark, we have Simon Napier-Bell, the man accused of ripping off the Yardbirds.  And what's all that stuffed behind glass under the liquor cabinets?  A hundred and one  baby dolls.  The souls of all the songs he produced?  Keith Relf's youth?  One shudders to think what he's trying to say there. Very creepy.

Here's the video that popped up after that one ... looks pretty interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2017 at 3:32 AM, JeffLZ said:

If this has been posted before I am sorry but I did not see it.   Wasn't there a lawsuit between Zeppelin and Grant over royalties at some point in the 80s or 90s? 

Not that I've ever been aware of. Peter or his kin have always had their name down on shares on at least one Zeppelin board of directors sheet.

Jimmy nor another member of the band and it's subsidiaries wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they wanted Peter off the books anyway. The man who well and truely Led Zeppelin to the air above the din.

Edited by TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

45 minutes ago, JeffLZ said:

I've read a few times that Col Tom Parker wanted Peter Grant to manage a UK tour of Elvis.  Did Col Parker really ask Grant this and what was Grant's response?

Grant discusses it in his autobiography Peter Grant: The Man Who Led Zeppelin. IIRC, it was circa 1976 and merely an inquiry on the possibility of doing so. 

1 minute ago, SteveAJones said:

Grant discusses it in his autobiography Peter Grant: The Man Who Led Zeppelin. IIRC, it was circa 1976 and merely an inquiry on the possibility of doing so. 

Think those meetings between Zep and Elvis during the seventies fueled the fire for that.

Peter sowing his oats for it

7 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Is it an autobiography or biography?  Did he write it or provide the information to the writer?

• 1 year later...

From 1970 onwards,Stone The Crows were managed by Peter Grant; Leslie Harvey,guitarist for that band,who a few days previous had been fatally electrocuted on stage and was the brother of Alex Harvey had been living with Maggie Bell in an apartment at Led Zeppelin's Swansong building in the King's Road.Neither the Crows nor Alex were earning much money and couldn't afford to bring people down from Glasgow for the funeral."Peter Grant was an honourable man though" Maggie Bell remembers."He paid for all the aunts and uncles to get the train."

MOJO Magazine,April 2000.  

• 1 month later...

Here's a later pic of Grant with the band in May, 1969 along with their attorney Steve Weiss:

Image result for Ahmet Ertegun photos with Led Zeppelin Peter Grant Jimmy Page Robert Plant

For more color on Grant, take a look at the Forum online comments associated with the Carnegie Hall concert held on October 17, 1969.  The concert came together through some intense persuasion made by Peter Grant and arranged through rock concert promoter, Howard Stein.  Here's the link to some additional content on Peter Grant on the Carnegie Hall forum pages:

Edited by drowan
Added the link to Carnegie Hall forum pages.

• 3 years later...
9 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

I've always enjoyed that documentary. It actually offers quite a lot. According to my notes, the original air date was 9/25/99. It was probably rebroadcast when How The West Was Won was released and whomever uploaded it doesn't realize it's a few years older than that.

Edited by SteveAJones

• 2 weeks later...