2017 Major League Baseball thread....

paul carruthers

10 hours ago, ebk said:

Game was pretty, pretty good!  Especially the end :D 

That play by Machado once again proves just how great he is.  Its the best play I think I have seen since the 1970 Series between the Orioles and Reds.   The play he made on Johnny Bench and their was another one that might have been on Rose.   Brooks I mean of course.  Machado has the best arm I have ever seen.

King, I must add this.  The level of competition your Cardinals face compared to my Orioles is a joke.  Outside of the Cubs you have a weak division.  The Pirates are no match for the Red Sox.  The Yankees and Rays are better than the Brewers and Reds.  You have two bad teams in your division to feast on. WE do not.  Every series in the AL East is tough.  Baltimore proved yesterday how tough they are.  Toronto is better than St Louis and so are we.  In fact the AL is far deeper than the NL.  The Nats, Mets, Dodgers, Cubs are all elite teams  SF maybe.  i can list far more from the AL.  The West has 3, Houston, Texas and Seattle, and the Central has Cleveland and Detroit and Boston , Baltimore and Toronto are certainly all elite.  We did make the playoffs last year if you remember.  Keep counting us out like everyone else and we will keep proving you wrong.

Not sure I like this NEW RULE regarding the INTENTIONAL WALK?  You no longer need to throw in the 4 pithes.  But every once in a while, just like in football where they missed the extra point before they moved it back, they would mess it up.  I do not think you should mess with rules that have been around for over a century

Verlander strikes out 10 in 6 2/3 innings and all's right with the world.

How the Tigers were lucky enough to get 3 new young starting pitchers (Fulmer, Norris & Boyd) from those trades a couple years ago still blows my mind.  Usually a team would be lucky to have one guy pan out, let alone three.  The veterans are a year older, but we've somehow been able to partially re-build on the fly.  Our catcher and 3rd baseman (McCann & Castalanos) should improve and the young arms too.  We still have bullpen woes, but it's pretty much the same story this season.  The Tigers will go as far as their starting pitching lets them.  Considering we tried to unsuccessfuly dump some people, I'm pretty happy how things worked out this off-season. We now have the 2nd highest payroll in baseball.  We at least have a chance in the Central if some things go our way.    Miggy and Victor Martinez will get their hits if healthy, and clog up the bases accordingly.  That makes us good enough to get to the playoffs, but not good enough to win anything once we're there.             

3 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

How the Tigers were lucky enough to get 3 new young starting pitchers (Fulmer, Norris & Boyd) from those trades a couple years ago still blows my mind.  Usually a team would be lucky to have one guy pan out, let alone three.  The veterans are a year older, but we've somehow been able to partially re-build on the fly.  Our catcher and 3rd baseman (McCann & Castalanos) should improve and the young arms too.  We still have bullpen woes, but it's pretty much the same story this season.  The Tigers will go as far as their starting pitching lets them.  Considering we tried to unsuccessfuly dump some people, I'm pretty happy how things worked out this off-season. We now have the 2nd highest payroll in baseball.  We at least have a chance in the Central if some things go our way.    Miggy and Victor Martinez will get their hits if healthy, and clog up the bases accordingly.  That makes us good enough to get to the playoffs, but not good enough to win anything once we're there.             

I expect the Tigers to be right in the thick of the Wild Card race but we are just the opposite.  Questionable starting rotation but a very good bullpen.  And we have more bats and better gloves than you guys.  I do think the lower teams in the East are better than the Central.  But who knows just how bad or good the Twins will be?  I know Cleveland is loaded.  So they should win the division.  I think the Orioles can give the Tigers hell for the Wild Card if we cannot win the division.  Seattle, Houston and Texas will also have a say in the outcome

The Twins have jumped on KC again

Looks like those Yanks just might have a bully to rely on.  13.2 scoreless innings now for the bullpen. Their combined line in 3 games: 

13.2 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 17 K.

Glad you enjoyed your game ebk!!

On 4/5/2017 at 10:09 AM, Bong-Man said:

I expect the Tigers to be right in the thick of the Wild Card race but we are just the opposite.  Questionable starting rotation but a very good bullpen.  And we have more bats and better gloves than you guys.  I do think the lower teams in the East are better than the Central.  But who knows just how bad or good the Twins will be?  I know Cleveland is loaded.  So they should win the division.  I think the Orioles can give the Tigers hell for the Wild Card if we cannot win the division.  Seattle, Houston and Texas will also have a say in the outc

Last year I pick the Twins and this year they are off to a blazing start.  KC is getting murdered by them so far.  I cannot believe Buck is going to possibly ruin our start by putting Jiminez out there tomorrow  The guy is terrible.  Get rid of him.  

Why don't we just raise the white flag and put a big fat L in the loss column.  Why in Gods name would Buck and Duquette keep this bastard Jiminez?  He killed us in the playoff game.  A huge mistake by Buck even putting him out there.  If Buck wants to be remembered as a great manager and actually win a Series, he must stop being Mr nice guy.  This fucker should be in Bowie.  I am hoping we can score 9 and then we might just beat them 9-8.  Hw many times to we have to get taken out to the wood shed with him on the hill?  Why not give Wilson the start?   The kid went into Boston and pitched a 2 hit shutout last year.  He  pitched well in game 1.  He is long relief no doubt.  So they best be ready to call on him by the second inning if not the first, after Sanchez jacks a 3 run shot over the wall and makes us look silly.  We have the better team.  Its not even close. They are in rebuild mode.  They have Sanchez and the bird manfrom Alcatraz.  Thats it.Their infield thinks they are playing soccer when the ball comes their way. Maybe their horrendous defense will be enough?  No Jeter or Texeira.  We best go to the pen early and give the ball to Givens or Wilson or if they have that big boy back by now, that they were supposed to get back, give him the ball.  Worley.  If you read this EBK, perhaps you will  know?  I am going to go do some digging now

So are the Twins this good or is KC this bad?  Last year I had the Twins on my contest. And I was thinking I am usually a day late and a dollar short.  Watch them get in.  I thought about it but then I even left the Tigers off. I expect Texas to get going just  like I figured Toronto would win yesterday.  The Twins?  Time will tell.

Fucking Bush league bastard just dropped a routine pop fly in right field-_-

Nice going kid.  Wilson strikes out the Red Sox and ends their threat in the 7th.  So the lefty is not bad.  Windy day in motown

Give Pedroia a haircut with your fastball

Just when you think you have seen it all, Gausman throws a Balk to third base to Machado with him not covering the base.  At that point it was 3-1 Yankees and then 4-1.  Sanchez was hurt.  Orioles came back thanks to Machado.  Only unbeaten team left. This is our chance to put some distance on Boston while Price and others are out.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself a wise man once said.  And that is a good choice of words for our boys.  They never panic

41 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

Mets get drubbed again--starting rotation may be kind of iffy once you get past Thor, deGrom and Harvey. No offense either....

At least the Nats lost...big...really big.  

hehehehehe

22 hours ago, ebk said:

At least the Nats lost...big...really big.  

hehehehehe

Buck needs to take his head out of his ass.  How do you pull a guy with a 1 hit shutout?  How?  The same way you keep Zach Britton on the bench when you are on life support in a one game playoff.  He needs to learn his damn lesson.  We should be 5-0 but I will take 4-1 and a trip to Boston.  Sale pitches in Detroit tomorrow. The Yankees will find Tampa is no picnic.    Boy is Seattle having a time of it.  I did good picking Colorado in the NL for a WC.  But not so good so far on Seattle.  But Texas has had their own troubles early

9 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Early in the season, some surprises, some not. Am I a little shocked that Toronto is in the basement--Seattle has potential seemingly every year, but never lives up to it. 

Giants bullpen may be problematic again--but, as always, it's early...

And my manager has already cost us a win.  Miley throws a gem and Buck screws it up puttting a coild arm out there when he had the game won.  O'Day came in and had a non typical bad outing walk wise but I can forgive him fast.  He is very valuable to us.   Sale goes against Verlander today.  We go to Boston tomorrow so that means we do  not have to face Sale or Porcello most likely.  Bundy  gives us a big shot.  We have to try and make an early move on them.  The Yankees may find Tampa tougher than they think.

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

And my manager has already cost us a win.  Miley throws a gem and Buck screws it up puttting a coild arm out there when he had the game won.  O'Day came in and had a non typical bad outing walk wise but I can forgive him fast.  He is very valuable to us.   Sale goes against Verlander today.  We go to Boston tomorrow so that means we do  not have to face Sale or Porcello most likely.  Bundy  gives us a big shot.  We have to try and make an early move on them.  The Yankees may find Tampa tougher than they think.

Rick, breathe!  It's one game.  And it's the first week.  You'll explode if you don't pace yourself :)

Miley wasn't pitching a gem.  He may have only given up one (or two, I can't remember) hits, but he walk 7 guys.  7.  That's a lot.  I don't blame Buck for taking him out.  And...it's April.  

It was a lovely day at the ballpark anyway.  

2 hours ago, ebk said:

Rick, breathe!  It's one game.  And it's the first week.  You'll explode if you don't pace yourself :)

Miley wasn't pitching a gem.  He may have only given up one (or two, I can't remember) hits, but he walk 7 guys.  7.  That's a lot.  I don't blame Buck for taking him out.  And...it's April.  

It was a lovely day at the ballpark anyway.  

I hate losing to those idiots.  They suck.  I think that they finish 4th if they are lucky.  Tampa may even beat them out.

I am currently watching the Chicago Cubs raise 4 banners/flags for their World Series win last year.  What I find funny is that the Cubs only have 4 banners/flags to raise since 1907.  The first 3 were for National League Pennants between 1907 and 1945.  1945.  The year WWII ended.  72 years ago.  Most of the people on this Awesome Forum have/had parents that were not born or just being born way back then.  I congratulate the Chicago Cubs for winning the World Series last year, but I can name a certain team that has won 11 World Series in less then the 108 year time frame it took the Cubs to win 1. 

1 hour ago, kingzoso said:

I am currently watching the Chicago Cubs raise 4 banners/flags for their World Series win last year.  What I find funny is that the Cubs only have 4 banners/flags to raise since 1907.  The first 3 were for National League Pennants between 1907 and 1945.  1945.  The year WWII ended.  72 years ago.  Most of the people on this Awesome Forum have/had parents that were not born or just being born way back then.  I congratulate the Chicago Cubs for winning the World Series last year, but I can name a certain team that has won 11 World Series in less then the 108 year time frame it took the Cubs to win 1. 

Dont check the St Louis score.  It will ruin your night

Archived