2017 Major League Baseball thread....

paul carruthers

It is such a rush being at Busch Stadium amidst thousands of Saint Louis Cardinals fans.  During the National Anthem everyone on the street outside Busch Stadium just stopped and listened to it.  When it was over everyone applauded and resumed what they were doing.  It is a moment that I will never forget.  Little things like that makes me very proud to be a Saint Louis Cardinals fan and a fan of baseball in general.  

It is officially the All-Star Break.  How is your team doing so far, halfway through the 2017 season?

The Saint Louis Cardinals are 43-45 (so are the Chicago Cubs).  We are both 5.5 games behind the Milwaukee Brewers.  As all of you know, I never lose faith in the Cardinals until it is official that they are out of the Wild Card or Playoff race (which has been somewhat rare since 2010).  With the second half of the season left, there is still a lot of Baseball to be played. 

So, how is your team's record at this point in the season, and what do you think they may do to be in contention for a 2017 Playoff spot? 

The Mets were dead back in April I think, so not too much to deliberate on, as far as that goes. I'm just waiting for the playoffs to start, then maybe my enthusiasm will come back. This may be the year the Dodgers finally do something in October.

Not too sure I want to watch the All-Star game, either...

Even with the Yanks finishing the first half at 45-41, the future is getting brighter. Still not enough depth in pitching rotation/bullpen.  Looking forward to the 2nd half!  

8 hours ago, Walter said:

Even with the Yanks finishing the first half at 45-41, the future is getting brighter. Still not enough depth in pitching rotation/bullpen.  Looking forward to the 2nd half!  

So am I  Even with the miserable first half and all the injuries, notably the killer to Britton for two months, that cost us 10 wins I can recall, we are only 4 back of NY.  We are going to do some damage in the second half.  Davis is back and so is Zach.  And  we own the best record in the AL East.  

PS. I am picking the National league to win

On 7/14/2017 at 6:18 PM, kingzoso said:

Hey Rick, I need your Orioles to sweep the Cubs this weekend.  

Game one was a nightmare of a loss. Gausman stunk, we go down 8-0 and come all the way back on a Trumbo HR to tie it at 8-8.  So rather than let Britton pitch one more inning, dumb ass Buck Showalter puts in Brach who serves up  a ball right down main street for Russel to hit out.  A game we never should have lost after Trumbo tied it.  This pitching staff, the starters, are pure shit.   The bullpen is very good.  But when you have a manager who has his head up his ass it does not help.  His decisions have been terrible.  And that goes for some of the dead wood he has in there for the injured Hardy.  This team cannot win unless they are completely healthy.  All hands on deck.  Tejada sucks.  Cant hit.  He is up from the minors to replace the injured Hardy.  As bad as it seems, we are still in it because nobody has really pulled away.  If we could go  on a streak we would be right there.  For either the WC or division.  But Boston has starters.  WE do not. I am for dumping this garbage now rather than later. Jiminez, has sort of battled back, not that I will ever be a fan.  Tillman, Bundy and Gausman, the three that are supposed to be good, have not been at all.  And Miley, get rid of his sorry ass too

PS, will any of it matter?  It sure looks to me like Houston and the Dodgers are on a collision course

11 hours ago, ebk said:

So everything about today was fabulous...except the actual game. 

Sigh........................

Well the word is Esther we will be sellers now.  And what that means I have no idea but major changes are coming.  Jiminez and Miley should be released now.  Give someone else a shot to start.  Make a trade Duquette!  And re negotiate Davis's contract.  For the sake of the team.  Force his hand.  No matter what they do, they cannot let Machado go.  No way.  If they do that, I may not watch next year.  I am not sure if you throw in the white flag simply because of one series, being swept by the defending champs?  Game one was a killer that we should  have won after Trumbo tied it.  Its on Showalter.  I am not totally against firing him but do not  want anyone that is there now. He has been horrible also by not recognizing that Jiminez and Miley both suck.

If Showalter had any damn sense he would get Jiminez out of the rotation and Miley too if I had it my way.  They have this kid that is hot in Norfolk.  Give him a shot.  He can be no worse than Jiminez.  Tonight Miley might be able to win vs a Texas team that has apparently quit.  I mean, we massacred them 3 straight nights and scored over 10 runs each night.  We should outslug them at worst tonight even if Wiley Miley is off.  What a shocker that would be.  Cant stand the guy.  So we have this kid Sisco in the minors that is tearing the cover off the ball, over 400 this month and is the hottest catcher prospect in the minors.  No doubt our biggest bargaining chip if they were to consider trading him but I cant see that.  Colorado is interested in our starters like Gausman and Bundy and the Dodgers want Britton.  Just imagine them with Britton and Jansen both.  That would make them hands down favorites to win the series even over Houston.   We have to be nuts to trade Britton.  We have to see if we can keep this winning streak going.  Game one vs the Cubs was another Buck Showalter give away.  A game we should have won.  I do expect us to sweep Texas out and then we really find out where we sit. Houston comes in this weekend.  And numb nuts (Jiminez) is chalked into start game 1.  Are they nuts?   Now Houston lost 2 which i amazing and likely with the huge lead have taken their foot off the gas pedal. Maybe expect a bit of a cold spell as they may simply be lazy with this huge lead?  It happens.  Its tough to play every game like its important in a 162 game schedule.  If they lay down a bit its fine with me  We need to win win win.  Only 3.5 behind the sputtering Yankees.  The most overated bunch I have ever seen.  I still believe if Duqette does not blow us up with trades we can and will catch Tampa and the Yankees.  Boston will be tougher because of the two big name pitchers they have.  But their lineup is not as scary as it was with Ortiz.  We have the best lineup in the division.  Its our damn starters that have done the number on us and the two month absense of Britton.  Well he is ready to rumble as the closer.  His 54 save string is alive.  Showalter should pull the plug on Jiminez and  call up the kid in Norfolk

Well it seems Metallica left their mark on big league baseball for the last week, and not in a good way.  

J.D. Martinez gets traded from the Tigers and takes a shot on the wrist in his second at bat for Arizona....bummer.  Dave Dombrowski may want Miggy for Boston at some point, but not in the shape he's in right now.  He's modified his entire stance at the plate because of his groin and hip.  That's what happens when you play for Venezuela and you're out of shape.  Lefty reliever Justin Wilson is next on the trading block, and plenty of teams are interested.   What's crazy is if the Tigers would have beat KC last night, they'd be only 4 games back in the AL Central.  Teams can lose a lead like that in a week.    

On 7/20/2017 at 11:16 AM, Bong-Man said:

Well it seems Metallica left their mark on big league baseball for the last week, and not in a good way.  

J.D. Martinez gets traded from the Tigers and takes a shot on the wrist in his second at bat for Arizona....bummer.  Dave Dombrowski may want Miggy for Boston at some point, but not in the shape he's in right now.  He's modified his entire stance at the plate because of his groin and hip.  That's what happens when you play for Venezuela and you're out of shape.  Lefty reliever Justin Wilson is next on the trading block, and plenty of teams are interested.   What's crazy is if the Tigers would have beat KC last night, they'd be only 4 games back in the AL Central.  Teams can lose a lead like that in a week.    

I am very surprised they traded JD Martinez.  Shocked in fact.  Why?  i do not get it.  I took those pricks with Baltimore and Atlanta last night  And they got their ass's handed to them in KC.  One of the most unpredictable teams in baseball are the Tigers.  I have no faith in them without JD.  Who did they get?  I hope something good?  The wild card race is wide open.  And Boston is not safe yet. Too bad we get the Astros now but we have to try to outslug them.  Possible with Correa on the DL.  We have to try and get through tonight with this bum pitching that Showalter just wont give up on

PS,   I hear Verlander is on the block now?

4 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I am very surprised they traded JD Martinez.  Shocked in fact.  Why?  i do not get it.  I took those pricks with Baltimore and Atlanta last night  And they got their ass's handed to them in KC.  One of the most unpredictable teams in baseball are the Tigers.  I have no faith in them without JD.  Who did they get?  I hope something good?  The wild card race is wide open.  And Boston is not safe yet. Too bad we get the Astros now but we have to try to outslug them.  Possible with Correa on the DL.  We have to try and get through tonight with this bum pitching that Showalter just wont give up on

PS,   I hear Verlander is on the block now?

JD's contract is up and the Tigers can't afford him.  The days of $200 million + team payrolls are over, at least around here.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers were eventually sold.  As for Verlander & Miggy, who really wants them ?  Verlander could help a team, but not with his contract.  The Tigers would have to cough up big dough to move him, and I don't think they're prepared to do that right now.  Miggy won't be himself the rest of the year.  Teams are interested in Avila the catcher, so I guess Daddy gets the unique honor of trading him.  Our minor leagues are bare.  I see some lean years ahead in Tiger Town.  That's okay though.  We fielded a decent team for ten years, and the owner opened his wallet to try and win it all.  That's about all a fan can expect these days.    

Cardinals and Cubs afternoon game.  Cardinals down 3-2 in the top of the 8th only to score 4 runs with no outs.  Still bases loaded with no outs.  The Cubs have used three pitchers in this inning.  Make that 8-3 with still nobody out.  

Edited to add:  The Cardinals score 9 runs and the Cubs threw 61 pitches in the inning.

Archived