Proof of Mr Page playing double neck guitar prior to 1971

Larry Mates

I attended the concert at Oakdale Wallingford ct August 17, 1969 with 3 of my high school buddies. The most amazing memory was Mr Jimmy Page playing a double neck guitar. All written information says he did'nt start playing it until 1971. It was the week of Woodstock. The place had maybe 100 people tops, but I knew that this band was going places !

Is there any proof that I am right ?

Larry Wolfman Mates

P.S. My lead guitar player says I'm wrong

lwrmat@yahoo.com

(203)910-5123 cell

Hello, Larry. Welcome to the forum. Sorry, but your lead guitar player is correct.

Jimmy first used a Gibson SG doubleneck guitar to deliver the intricate studio arrangements of the Led Zeppelin classic “Stairway to Heaven” in a live setting. During live performances of this song, he would alternate from the bottom 6-string for the delicate fingerpicking of the song’s intro, verses and legendary solo, to the ringing 12-string for the song’s era-defining bridge and final chorus. Essentially, the SG doubleneck obviated the need to switch guitars mid-song. He also used the  instrument for other Zeppelin classics, such as “The Song Remains The Same” and “The Rain Song.”

However, none of those songs existed in August 1969. Further, none of the material known to have been performed prior to 1971 required a doubleneck. Finally, there is not a single photograph in existence that suggests he used a doubleneck prior to 1971. If you search further, you'll undoubtedly find quotes from Jimmy himself attesting to all of this as the fact of the matter.

I was sitting front row at a Cheap Trick show there (many years back when it was still in the round and not enclosed) and the person sitting next to me said he saw Zeppelin there and my jaw nearly dropped. As soon as I got home I looked it up and yes the band did play there Woodstock weekend! (He also said Bonham was an amazing drummer)

There is a poor sound quality bootleg of the show in existence.

Archived