travelling riverside blues

corduroyg

1 hour ago, corduroyg said:

musically this is an original led zep song right? the robert johnson version sounds nothing like it. only the lyrics are similar. 

was it recorded in front of an audience? such a great song, whyd they only play it that 1 time?? 

Pretty much, the lyrics are a combination of the original TRB, Terraplane Blues, and Killing Floor. The guitar is overdubbed as you can hear the solo and a rhythm guitar so I assume Jimmy played the rhythm part live and overdubbed the solo later. This is the likely reason they never played it live again as it was for one of the BBC specials.

it is not totally original.  if you listen to robert johnsons music a lot of it is the same but he had very specific licks and phrases which jimmy used for their version. obviously it sounds very different but you can hear where jimmy got a lot of the phrasing for their version just overall from robert johnson.

Edited by sk8rat

• 10 months later...

To me, this is the most mysterious Zep track. Also one of my favorites. What was the intention of the song? Did they only put it together for the radio show? Is there any back story whatsoever of the song outside of the radio show? Was it meant for an album and then canned at the last minute?

Yeah, it seems beyond belief they could summons up that kind of quality track pretty much on the spot (as I understand it) to have something "One off" just for that specific occasion.

I'd also love to know if there is more back story untold....

• 2 years later...

Anyone know if this was a multitracked performance? Obviously the lead guitar was dubbed in afterwards, but I've never heard a version of this that sounded like a true multutrack recording. Even the deluxe edition version sounds the same as the 1990 version, which leads me to believe there was only a two track initial recording of this.

Like the other June BBC studio tracks, the master tape does contain simple overdubs ('Whole Lotta Love' from the same session, contains a guitar overdub), but it's definetely not a multi-track source in the strict sense. 1" or 2" analog tape gauge would be considered multi-track by the end of the sixties.

I believe at the time the BEEB -like the majority of European broadcasting stations, recorded on two track  (1/4") or 3 track (1/2") decks.  Most likely Jimmy was invited to add some overdubs at his discretion, later on...mainly in the guitar (and vocal?) department😎

• 4 weeks later...

The forum may be interested to know about this software: https://www.abbeyroad.com/de-mix 

It is being used to convert mono recordings (for example the Stones 1960s BBC radio sessions) into new stereo mixes. This software could provide a really powerful new mix of 'Travelling Riverside Blues' - full stereo, eq boosted, and with the volume inbalance on the lead break fixed. I think the track deserves it (I've always felt it would have made a great closer for Led Zep III if the band had recorded it in another studio). It could also be used to enhance mono soundboards.

Of course how much this technology is used on archival recordings will depend on perceived financial returns and / or the status of the bands, since it will be expensive and time-consuming. But I hope it will produce some good results.

A fantastic track, one that makes the hair stand up on the back of the neck. Definitely one of my favourites, and I’m eternally disappointed there were no other versions recorded.  A more up to date example of a similar approach would be Page and Plant’s cover of Crossroads, not as classic in my view as the infamous Cream version but good nonetheless.

Regarding TRB, I recall hearing this a few years back and thinking there were some similarities. All in the ringing chords I guess.

https://youtu.be/BApLADZ8FnM

Edited by Buford T Justice

On 1/16/2020 at 4:49 PM, hummingbird69 said:

This has been talked about before. It's not really that original. Jimmy sounds very influenced by this track.

Yes, Jimmy must've been inspired by Johnny's riff but it's annoying to read all the comments in that post about TRB being a rip-off, and the same . It's almost the same riff for one measure, and while it's a significant similarity, it's not the same riff. Johnny's tune came out only a couple months before TRB. Those old blues riffs are almost public domain, who knows who originally played that riff or similar. Where'd Johnny get the inspiration? Who knows. Maybe Jimmy and Johnny got it from the same cat. Hubert Sumlin, T-Bone Walker ?? 🤔 The lyrics are a mix of Robert Johnson tunes. Maybe a better title would've been Robert Johnson Medley. 

Edited by porgie66

On 1/19/2020 at 2:24 AM, porgie66 said:

Yes, Jimmy must've been inspired by Johnny's riff but it's annoying to read all the comments in that post about TRB being a rip-off, and the same . It's almost the same riff for one measure, and while it's a significant similarity, it's not the same riff. Johnny's tune came out only a couple months before TRB. Those old blues riffs are almost public domain, who knows who originally played that riff or similar. Where'd Johnny get the inspiration? Who knows. Maybe Jimmy and Johnny got it from the same cat. Hubert Sumlin, T-Bone Walker ?? 🤔 The lyrics are a mix of Robert Johnson tunes. Maybe a better title would've been Robert Johnson Medley. 

I think if you listen to the jam in the background it has a definite Jennings Farm Blues feel to it.