Hey Hey What Can I Do?

14 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

I'm pretty sure Plant was very influenced by this track by Ray Charles. Notice both the melody and occasional lyrics that Plant was possibly inspired by for his approach to the music of HHWCID.

Hmmm. Interesting! It's as if they wrote it as an opposite. Whereas Ray's girl is always reliable and there for him Roberts is out drinking in bars, hitting on men and driving him crazy! Hey hey what can he do? If this is the case then I think it's an affectionate homage rather than a steal.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember Robert Plant saying in a Rockline interview that they thought "Hey Hey What Can I Do" was too "lightweight" at the time. As for myself, I don't know why the song was dropped in favor of "Hats Off To Roy Harper" other than the fact that the latter probably had personal meaning to the band because they were friends and fans of Harper. I think "What Can I Do" would've been a nice song to finish the album with.

• 1 month later...

Hey, Hey Whay Can I Do is excellent in my opinion.  In the late 70's early 80's they played it often on rock radio in Detroit.  I remember Jimmy in an interview just after Outrider was released....he was taking questions from callers and someone asked about this song,  his reaction was almost like he'd forgotten about it.  I'd love to hear that interview again.  

Regardless, it should have been on Coda because the only way to buy this up to that point was to buy the Japanese import.  It would have really made Coda better.  

59 minutes ago, ThreeSticks said:

In addition to HHWCID, I don't know why Poor Tom was dropped in favor of Roy Harper. Heck I would've rather have put the Bronyraur instrumental on there to close the album in place of Roy Harper.

not a big fan of poor tom, much prefer hats off. but hey hey is better than them both

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 0:05 PM, NorthBoundSuarez said:

I remember Robert Plant saying in a Rockline interview that they thought "Hey Hey What Can I Do" was too "lightweight" at the time. As for myself, I don't know why the song was dropped in favor of "Hats Off To Roy Harper" other than the fact that the latter probably had personal meaning to the band because they were friends and fans of Harper. I think "What Can I Do" would've been a nice song to finish the album with.

Odd considering "That's the Way and "Tangerine" both made the album.

Archived