The Real Reason for Robert Plant's Tears During-Stairway

missmojorising

I have always thought that Robert's tears during the performance of STH, were due to the tribute to his bandmate John Bonham, particularly, the choir's, their wearing of the bowler hats.

I have never once thought that the musical  performance moved Robert to tears. Not once.

I'm with The Rover.

First time I saw it, when the choir came out in the hats, I shed a tear or two myself.

I'm sure there is a bit more to it for Robert tears such as memories, but I bet the hats were the catalyst.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 0:02 AM, The Rover said:

I have always thought that Robert's tears during the performance of STH, were due to the tribute to his bandmate John Bonham, particularly, the choir's, their wearing of the bowler hats.

I have never once thought that the musical  performance moved Robert to tears. Not once.

That's what I think Rover.

Is quite interesting as well how Robert actually admits from time to time he does actually think about the Zep magic

without Bonzo. Of course admirably Robert has stuck to his guns, but even after the Live Aid train wreck,  Robert

was obviously blown away by the fans reaction to the remaining three playing. The bowler hats were great, but

Heart really kept the song pretty much sacred, almost an amazing feat, and not so convinced Robert wasn't affected

by maybe staring into a mirror. I don't even like Heart that much, most tribute bands just can't get the subtleties of

Stairway at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Who knows what he was thinking unless someone asks him.  I could guess it could be a combination of things, but there are conversations and experiences that nobody else but he knows about that culminated in that grand moment.

Yes, he was probably thinking back to how he was friends with Bonham so long ago, a friendship that transcended music and which without the greatest band in history would have had much less character.  He saw Jason on drums, and entire choir of Americans paying homage to John Henry Bonham with his classic  hat on, he considered the entire event he was at, their band being honoured by the president of the United States.  A bunch of British lads from a far away place who reached out to the world.  He and John in particular coming from modest and humble means.  All while them playing their signature song to which he had a major part in.  Watching the performers, the crowd, the president of the U.S nodding their heads to the music which is all too familiar and meaningful to their lives, it had to have been surreal.  He was probably wondering how JHB would view all of this, with a scoff possibly, or would he have grown to appreciate it where so many times Plant scoffed at all the attention.  John; his close friend, taken so early, while Plant and the rest aged and were able to enjoy that night.

It probably all became too much for him and he gave himself permission to show emotion for the situation, to a song he has run from while so many other embrace hold dear to their hearts.  It would be interesting to hear his insight, or maybe like so many lyrics and stories about Zeppelin, it is best we all just fill int he blanks with our own interpretation of it.

2 hours ago, Canadianzepper said:

Who knows what he was thinking unless someone asks him.  I could guess it could be a combination of things, but there are conversations and experiences that nobody else but he knows about that culminated in that grand moment.

Yes, he was probably thinking back to how he was friends with Bonham so long ago, a friendship that transcended music and which without the greatest band in history would have had much less character.  He saw Jason on drums, and entire choir of Americans paying homage to John Henry Bonham with his classic  hat on, he considered the entire event he was at, their band being honoured by the president of the United States.  A bunch of British lads from a far away place who reached out to the world.  He and John in particular coming from modest and humble means.  All while them playing their signature song to which he had a major part in.  Watching the performers, the crowd, the president of the U.S nodding their heads to the music which is all too familiar and meaningful to their lives, it had to have been surreal.  He was probably wondering how JHB would view all of this, with a scoff possibly, or would he have grown to appreciate it where so many times Plant scoffed at all the attention.  John; his close friend, taken so early, while Plant and the rest aged and were able to enjoy that night.

It probably all became too much for him and he gave himself permission to show emotion for the situation, to a song he has run from while so many other embrace hold dear to their hearts.  It would be interesting to hear his insight, or maybe like so many lyrics and stories about Zeppelin, it is best we all just fill int he blanks with our own interpretation of it.

Fuck that's a good post.

3 hours ago, Canadianzepper said:

I sincerely doubt that the presence, feelings or "honor" of any politician affects Plant's emotions regarding John Bonham or Led Zeppelin.

I have no doubt his reaction was triggered by memories of John Bonham, their friendship,  and the music they made.

Beginning with Jack Black's opening... that part of the night was meant to honor Led Zeppelin.

The STH performance honored John Bonham. Big Time.

That was enough to bring Robert to tears... what was, and what could have been, for John Henry Bonham.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a little late to the dance here, but I loved the way Robert was so happy and touched to see Jason take the stage wearing (I like to think) his father's bowler. He then settled in to watching the performance. My impression was that he was running the film of his youth through his mind, the time of full speed ahead and no inhibitions. Then, when the bowlered choir came up, it was all over but the shouting on keeping his emotions in check. That was when I noticed his eyes well up and wiping a tear. Every interview that I've seen has him rubbing his chin and rubbing his finger over his mustache as he mulls things over. Just my observation.

Archived