Last Ever Photograph of Bonzo

Thomasw536

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

I always laugh when I see people drawing so much information from a still picture, you can take a picture of the happiest person at the wrong moment & they can look fraught with worry.

I'm not saying Bonham didn't have his problems or demons, he clearly did and he did look older than his years (the drink does that to people), however, I don't see the point in studying a picture to the nth degree to attempt to ascertain what was going on at that point in time. 

We all know he was having trouble getting round his kit towards the end, it's more than likely that he was trying pretty hard to lose weight in order to remedy that.

John Bonham had his ups and downs like a lot of people and died as a result of an accident. The remaining members of the band have kept a lid on things out of respect for his family and themselves I would guess and hats off to them.

:goodpost:

Just to add that I wasn't having a go at anyone, it's just something that you see in the tabloid papers here, a picture of someone getting out of a car & the caption will say, "insert name looking miserable.", do these journalists do a star jump out of their car with a giant smile on their faces? People don't go around smiling all the time & still photographs tends to reflect this.

I'm sure John Bonham had some nice moments with his family and with the band in 1980 whatever else was going on in his head.

Such a terrible loss really, I never fail to break down a wee bit when I read about his death.

Edited by Mook

On 8/16/2017 at 0:45 AM, IpMan said:

Fast forward ten years and the Red Hot Chili Peppers perform naked except for tube socks rubber baned to their dicks.

I will take your day at the beach and raise you tube socks on our tubes...Give it away, give it away, give it away now.

Or Flea completely naked at Woodstock '99 for the entire show.

4 hours ago, Mook said:

Just to add that I wasn't having a go at anyone, it's just something that you see in the tabloid papers here, a picture of someone getting out of a car & the caption will say, "insert name looking miserable.", do these journalists do a star jump out of their car with a giant smile on their faces? People don't go around smiling all the time & still photographs tends to reflect this.

I'm sure John Bonham had some nice moments with his family and with the band in 1980 whatever else was going on in his head.

Such a terrible loss really, I never fail to break down a wee bit when I read about his death.

Absolutely Mook. Well said.

4 hours ago, Mook said:

I always laugh when I see people drawing so much information from a still picture, you can take a picture of the happiest person at the wrong moment & they can look fraught with worry.

I'm not saying Bonham didn't have his problems or demons, he clearly did and he did look older than his years (the drink does that to people), however, I don't see the point in studying a picture to the nth degree to attempt to ascertain what was going on at that point in time. 

We all know he was having trouble getting round his kit towards the end, it's more than likely that he was trying pretty hard to lose weight in order to remedy that.

John Bonham had his ups and downs like a lot of people and died as a result of an accident. The remaining members of the band have kept a lid on things out of respect for his family and themselves I would guess and hats off to them.

Did I ever mention I am into Phrenology???

Those are great points, the pictures are being gone over almost obsessively. I still have a hard time believing that Bonzo

suddenly decided to stop drinking or out of nowhere decided to lose weight. Even with some of the weaker 80' shows as

evidence that Bonzo needed to get fit, Bonzo suddenly adopts monk-like discipline ?? possible but for me hard to swallow.

That band picture of the rehearsal( I think it was in Page's photo book) Page looks a little more filled out. Whatever, although

that semi-obscure shot of Jimmy without his shirt with the SS outfit on Caesar's Chariot, he would never print that. Not sure

any amount of photo-shopping could "ease" that shot. And again the heavy privacy around Bonzo's death seemed to prevent

any real light shed after the Euro 80' tour.

• 2 years later...

The pic is just that. ONE pic.

His legs are skinny. That s remarkable, I think.

On the one I have from a mag which I bought in 1980 : I recall it as being from Monsters Of Rock when Rainbow headlined Donnington.

Or is 1 year earlier when Led Zeppelin played Knebworth?

I heard Cozy on Plants first soloalbum Picture at Eleven , doing 2 songs I think. Espescially SLOW DANCER was a Led Zeppelin kinda track.

I was dissappointed they did not take Cozy. I think he was up to it?

Cozy should have kicked Bonham in the butt and take him on karate lessons, something Cozy did as one of his hobbies.

Musicians have to be healthy, the drug thing is something I felt was a silly thing a lot of them did due to the Zeitgeist.Personally I felt proud not getting started with smoking when I was 12(1977) and working out when I was 20. Even more so when I did read Blackmore, my hero did not smoke.

He did drank a lot of course but that dawned upon me , much later. 

And some people think he took some speed.

cozy and john bonham.PNG

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Bonzo’s weight waxed and waned at earlier points in his life too.   In the ‘Song Remains The Same’ film he’s:

* a little overweight in the July 1973 tour footage;

* quite overweight in the Shepparton ‘miming on stage’ footage (August 1974);

* very slim in the ‘fantasy’ footage (late 1974/early 1975?).

In that final(?) photo with Jason I don’t see a man depressed.   The tan and slimness suggest that John had been engaged in a lot of outdoor activity, which might explain the weight loss.

Jason