America West Arena - Phoenix, AZ. - 9/24/1998

luvlz2

I was at this show and what a show!!! I would take 98' Jimmy over ANY other era Jimmy, he was so damn good and consistent on this tour, brought his A game every night and his ability of playing, as shown above, was stellar.

I really wish they would release at least one show from this tour officially as well as the Japan gigs from 96'. Everything is working great, Robert is in excellent voice and Jimmy at the top of his game.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2017 at 2:56 AM, IpMan said:

I really wish they would release at least one show from this tour officially as well as the Japan gigs from 96'. Everything is working great, Robert is in excellent voice and Jimmy at the top of his game.

Jimmy's Buddha belly will probably nix an official dvd release from the '98 tour. 

There will never be an official dvd release of the 1996 Japanese or Australian tour as they did not hire a camera crew for them. The Japanese shows were shot by a friend of mine who had a approval/gentleman's agreement to do so with their manager at the time, Bill Curbishley. He's the same person who filmed and released the Phoenix video above (and many, many more).

22 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Jimmy's Buddha belly will probably nix an official dvd release from the '98 tour. 

it is a shame that on this tour when he really got his playing back into form and was the most consistent he'd been for decades he wasn't looking too good image wise. I read a quote from him stating  he wasn't very happy with the way his hair looked on the 95/96 tour either

4 hours ago, jsj said:

I read a quote from him stating  he wasn't very happy with the way his hair looked on the 95/96 tour either

Yes, he regretted he hadn't worn it shorter for that project/tour. However, not so much that he would nix an official dvd release. :lol:

23 hours ago, jsj said:

it is a shame that on this tour when he really got his playing back into form and was the most consistent he'd been for decades he wasn't looking too good image wise. I read a quote from him stating  he wasn't very happy with the way his hair looked on the 95/96 tour either

It wasn't just the dodgy permed hair, it was the garish, shiny shirts and his bloated face. He looked a bit like a darts player.

Def his un-coolest phase.

Looked good in '98 with the black gear and short hair though.

5 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

It wasn't just the dodgy permed hair, it was the garish, shiny shirts and his bloated face. He looked a bit like a darts player.

Def his un-coolest phase.

Looked good in '98 with the black gear and short hair though.

Yep, he looked ok in 98", the new hairstyle looked good on him. So what if he gained a couple of stone and had a belly, the damn guitar hid that most of the time so what's the problem. You don't hear Leslie West bitching about his belly, or that tubby bastard Steve Lukathier. Belly or not there are guitarists approaching maximum density yet still play well, and that is all that really counts, especially when one is 54 years old (at the time). It's not like Jimmy was going to be on Tiger Beat Mag at 54 (special hugs & kisses issue of course).

well I think maybe Page himself may have a bit of trouble with how he looked at the time in regards of putting out an official dvd. he has been known for his vanity in the past. does some extra weight matter? no of course not, I just pointed out the irony that at the time he was playing his best for decades, he wasn't looking his best

On 09/01/2017 at 1:56 AM, IpMan said:

I was at this show and what a show!!! I would take 98' Jimmy over ANY other era Jimmy, he was so damn good and consistent on this tour, brought his A game every night and his ability of playing, as shown above, was stellar.

I think you're absolutely spot on Ipman. I went to see them in Manchester England in November '98. I left absolutely gutted, because the acoustics in the venue were shite. The echo was awful. Only time I've ever seen them. Way too young to see Zeppelin. I felt robbed. 

Gonna start a thread about the Manchester 98 bootleg. 

Archived