I'm guessing everyone knows Terry Reid turned down to be the lead singer of Led Zeppelin (and Deep Purple)..  I never heard his music until last year, and MAN, the guy has one of the best voices. He also wrote all his stuff, played guitar.. He has at least a dozen GREAT songs..

Love Terry Reid, however he is kinda the American equivalent to Roy Harper. Reid is kinda his own worst enemy in regard to success. He was offered success many times, both within great bands, and, as a solo artist yet he either outright turned it down (Zep & Purple), or actively sabotaged it in the case of his solo career. In fact several times during the 70's especially he was given the keys to potential success & fame however he would either never agree to the terms, or, constantly change the terms until record companies would just walk away.

The man is beyond talented, loves his music and performing, but I really don't think he ever wanted to be famous along the lines of Zeppelin or others who achieved it. Not because he could not, but because he did not want it.

I forgot to list it up top, but Terry Reid (after turning the Zep gig down) recommended Robert Plant. I guess Robert was a fan, since he was always at Terry's shows.

Btw, Terry Reid is English. I haven't heard that much of Roy Harper (besides "Have A Cigar") but there are a TON of good/great Terry Reid songs. I'll put a link of a favorite down below.

19 hours ago, MortSahlFan said:

I forgot to list it up top, but Terry Reid (after turning the Zep gig down) recommended Robert Plant. I guess Robert was a fan, since he was always at Terry's shows.

Btw, Terry Reid is English. I haven't heard that much of Roy Harper (besides "Have A Cigar") but there are a TON of good/great Terry Reid songs. I'll put a link of a favorite down below.

I've seen Roy a few times. Here's one with Jimmy

Archived