Funniest on stage incident with LZ or members...

Canadianzepper

Ok I had to post this, I'm sure some of you have seen it before, but it always makes me laugh.  To me this is hands down the funniest.  I've heard of other incidents but never seen the on video, and they probably didn't go on for as long as this. 

Check out Neil Young really "let loose" to When the Levee Breaks in '95 to such a degree Page in particularly is laughing and it's contagious.  If anyone else can post anything that busts a gut more with LZ members, I'm game (PS Live Aid concert was NOT funny).

Bonzo going missing during the acoustic set at Osaka 9.29.71 is funnier than this.

Plant's introduction of Bonham at the Forum 6.21.77 is funnier than this.

Keith Moon's drunken ramblings at the mic while Plant plays drums at the Forum 6.23.77 is funnier than this.

The band dancing a jig at Earls Court is funnier than this.

8 hours ago, Canadianzepper said:

Ok I had to post this, I'm sure some of you have seen it before, but it always makes me laugh.  To me this is hands down the funniest.  I've heard of other incidents but never seen the on video, and they probably didn't go on for as long as this. 

Check out Neil Young really "let loose" to When the Levee Breaks in '95 to such a degree Page in particularly is laughing and it's contagious.  If anyone else can post anything that busts a gut more with LZ members, I'm game (PS Live Aid concert was NOT funny).

I thought the Live Aid Jimmy was funny as hell, then add Collins being completely lost. That was a serious Spinal Tap moment. The only thing better would have been Lori Maddox & Miss Pamela rushing the stage and accidentally knocking Page over.

This is great as well though. I remember watching this and thinking Neal is REALLY getting into the jam. I don't think this is shite in any way, in fact it is glorious. Everyone is playing well and having a shit-ton of fun, what more could you ask for. Music is after all supposed to be a joyful expression and this re-interpretation of the song with Young going ape shit is just fantastic. If Bonzo were alive and up on the stage he likely would have been having a blast as well.

On 16/01/2017 at 5:44 AM, Strider said:

Bonzo going missing during the acoustic set at Osaka 9.29.71 is funnier than this.

Plant's introduction of Bonham at the Forum 6.21.77 is funnier than this.

Keith Moon's drunken ramblings at the mic while Plant plays drums at the Forum 6.23.77 is funnier than this.

The band dancing a jig at Earls Court is funnier than this.

Strider, here's a SAJ Mysteries type Q. for you....

What is the show where Plant comments on JPJ moving to the keyboards in prep for NQ (I think it is) and says something like...

"There he goes, red wine in hand, what an old Wanker!!!"

I heard it a few weeks ago and pissed myself laughing, but can't recall what show it was.

THAT is also comedy gold right there people.

Bonzo just walking out on stage during a Deep Purple Mk 4 gig: 'My name's John Bonham of Led Zeppelin. We've got a new album coming out called Presence. And Tommy Bolin can't play for shit!'  I'm a big Bolin fan, but that is pretty damn funny!

4 hours ago, Brigante said:

Bonzo just walking out on stage during a Deep Purple Mk 4 gig: 'My name's John Bonham of Led Zeppelin. We've got a new album coming out called Presence. And Tommy Bolin can't play for shit!'  I'm a big Bolin fan, but that is pretty damn funny!

I've heard this before, is it caught on audio or video?  Bonzo has had a few of these escapades which are now quite memorable.

45 minutes ago, Canadianzepper said:

I've heard this before, is it caught on audio or video?  Bonzo has had a few of these escapades which are now quite memorable.

I raised this on the 'Led Zeppelin mysteries' thread a while back & there is no audio or video evidence that anyone on here was aware of at the time.

I don't actually find the incident that funny to be honest, John Bonham is one of my heroes but I don't like to hear musicians having a pop at each other like that, especially when it's two great musicians like Bonham & Tommy Bolin. From what I've read he was very drunk when he got on the stage so I suppose we've all done stupid things when we're drunk (well I have anyway).

12 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Strider, here's a SAJ Mysteries type Q. for you....

What is the show where Plant comments on JPJ moving to the keyboards in prep for NQ (I think it is) and says something like...

"There he goes, red wine in hand, what an old Wanker!!!"

I heard it a few weeks ago and pissed myself laughing, but can't recall what show it was.

THAT is also comedy gold right there people.

Plant took the piss on poor Jonesy often, but I can't recall this particular one off the top of me head. The "Jones' strawberry tart" remarks came on the 23rd or 25th of June '77 at the Forum. There were plenty of jibes at Peter Grant, too.

I'll have to do some searching through the No Quarter archive to find this red wine remark.

32 minutes ago, Mook said:

there is no audio or video evidence that anyone on here was aware of at the time.

Too good to be true, I guess! It always sounded like fairly lighthearted drunken banter/pisstaking between mates to me, though - there's none of the nasty undertones you can sense in some stories of Bonzo on a rampage.

11 minutes ago, Brigante said:

Too good to be true, I guess! It always sounded like fairly lighthearted drunken banter/pisstaking between mates, to me - there's none of the undertones you can sense in some stories of Bonzo on a rampage, such as him insisting that he should play drums on All The Young Dudes, uninvited, at a Mott The Hoople gig  - which ended up with Bonzo (or Cole, versions vary) kicking Mott's drummer, Buffin, in the knee right before the encore and Buffin ending up hiding in a toilet to avoid further discussion!

I guess it's hard to say how it went down without having witnessed the (Bolin) incident, it's quite possible it was said & taken in a light hearted manner.

19 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Ahmet Ertegun falling asleep during a private screening of The Song Remains The Same, and upon being awakened asking "Who was the guy on the horse?"

LMAO!  Now THAT'S funny.  

In terms of off stage comedy, seeing Robert balance himself on that horse is in itself is a classic.  I remember buying that on VHS and wearing the video out.  Watching it with a buddy the first time I'm sure I spit beer out of my mouth when he was on that stag.

On 1/15/2017 at 0:01 PM, Canadianzepper said:

Hilarious. Neil doesn't exactly have the same cool stage presence as Jimmy, does he? :lol:

22 hours ago, Mook said:

there is no audio or video evidence that anyone on here was aware of at the time. 

Ok, did a bit of digging on this. In a 1996 interview, Glenn Hughes was asked about Bonzo's stage invasion and said: 

'John was a very good friend of mine. The night we played at Radio City Music Hall in NYC, the second night, he was very drunk, and he wanted to come on stage to tell the audience about the new Song Remains The Same film coming out. So he got the microphone and he was very drunk and he started playing around, you know. And after that it took me… Well, something happened really bad that night. I mean he was out of his mind and he started getting a bit strange.'

So according to Hughes it happened and it was at Deep Purple's 23rd January 1976 gig at Radio City Music Hall - Hammer of the Gods says Nassau Coliseum, but Deep Purple Mk 4 apparently never played there, so that's that! According to Stanley Sheldon (Bolin's ex-bassplayer) Bonham and Bolin met each other at the Roxy, when Purple were rehearsing in LA:  'Bonham knew who Tommy was from the Billy Cobham recording (Spectrum) and let Tommy know that he was a big fan, and of course the feeling was mutual.' So if Glenn's recollection is accurate, I'd say the 'can't play for shit' incident probably did happen and that it was just Bonzo taking the piss out of a mate for a laugh. What the 'really bad' stuff was that happened later, I dunno!

This should probably be in Zeppelin Mysteries, really. Ok, then, back to the funnies.  

16 minutes ago, Brigante said:

Ok, did a bit of digging on this. In a 1996 interview, Glenn Hughes was asked about Bonzo's stage invasion and said: 

'John was a very good friend of mine. The night we played at Radio City Music Hall in NYC, the second night, he was very drunk, and he wanted to come on stage to tell the audience about the new Song Remains The Same film coming out. So he got the microphone and he was very drunk and he started playing around, you know. And after that it took me… Well, something happened really bad that night. I mean he was out of his mind and he started getting a bit strange.'

So according to Hughes it happened and it was at Deep Purple's 23rd January 1976 gig at Radio City Music Hall - Hammer of the Gods says Nassau Coliseum, but Deep Purple Mk 4 apparently never played there, so that's that! According to Stanley Sheldon (Bolin's ex-bassplayer) Bonham and Bolin met each other at the Roxy, when Purple were rehearsing in LA:  'Bonham knew who Tommy was from the Billy Cobham recording (Spectrum) and let Tommy know that he was a big fan, and of course the feeling was mutual.' So if Glenn's recollection is accurate, I'd say the 'can't play for shit' incident probably did happen and that it was just Bonzo taking the piss out of a mate for a laugh. What the 'really bad' stuff was that happened later, I dunno!

This should probably be in Zeppelin Mysteries, really. Ok, then, back to the funnies.  

Bonzo was obviously a good judge. Have you ever seen ( or heard) Deep Purple's Last Concert in Japan from 1976. Bolin is without doubt atrocious - another casualty to Uncle Henry

1 hour ago, bluecongo said:

Another funny Bonzo story, in Tony Iommis book he said Bonzo came to see the new Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio, and after the show Bonzo said "That Dwarf can really sing!" Dio lunged at him furious but was restrained.  

LMAO......I can just picture that in my head!

2 hours ago, bluecongo said:

Another funny Bonzo story, in Tony Iommis book he said Bonzo came to see the new Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio, and after the show Bonzo said "That Dwarf can really sing!" Dio lunged at him furious but was restrained.  

1 hour ago, Stryder1978 said:

LMAO......I can just picture that in my head!

Yeah, what was Bonham thinking? He should have said 'elf' not 'dwarf'. :P

On 18/01/2017 at 2:31 AM, Strider said:

Plant took the piss on poor Jonesy often, but I can't recall this particular one off the top of me head. The "Jones' strawberry tart" remarks came on the 23rd or 25th of June '77 at the Forum. There were plenty of jibes at Peter Grant, too.

I'll have to do some searching through the No Quarter archive to find this red wine remark.

Found it. Cracks me up, one of Plant's best. After No Quarter inLandover 30/05/77.

19 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Good catch Strider, not many people know he was in Elf before Rainbow.  I was lucky enough to find a copy of their first album and got Ronnie to sign it after one of his shows.

Lucky sod. I don't know anyone who has an unkind word to say about RJD. Dio seems to have been a genuine soul who realized how lucky and blessed he was to be able to make money doing what he loved and recognized that it was the fans that made it possible. 

Archived