Other Bands/Artists Who LOVED Led Zeppelin?

Everyone nowadays will say they like them, but I'm referring to bands/artists that were competitors, around making albums in the 60s and 70s. I'm sure there are many, so I would start with the biggest fans. I'm not sure, which is why I asked.

I do remember John Lennon saying he liked them in 1968 or 1969.

Edited by MortSahlFan

One of my favorite bands, Rush, were hugely influenced by Zeppelin. In fact, as is discussed in the interview clip below, Jimmy Page identified Rush in the early 80's as one of his favorite bands. He felt they took from the foundation of Zeppelin but did their own thing with it instead of outright copying the group. Alex Lifeson, Rush's guitarist, is hugely influenced by Page. If you have ever heard him cut loose during their song "Working Man" during recent Rush tours, it totally reminds me of Jimmy's solos during songs like "Dazed and Confused" and "Trampled Under Foot." He's not copying, but you can see how Page's attitude on how to attack the instrument had an influence. Anyway, the clip below is from a Canadian TV show. Singer/Bassist/Keyboardist Geddy lee recounts the first time he met Robert Plant in Morocco. They also discuss when Alex met Page when Geddy and Alex saw the 1998 Page/Plant show in Toronto. Don't want to push Rush on to people because they are a divisive band, but they are a rock and roll half of fame artist:

Edited by NorthBoundSuarez

They actually aren't as divisive as they used to be. I think their brilliant documentary "Beyond The Lighted Stage," which documents the history of the band and all that they've been thru, really drew out a lot of respect for the band from people who don't necessarily like their music, which is cool. It's hard not to appreciate them as musicians and people, even if it's not your cup of tea.

Man, Rush is the SHIT!!! Outside of the fact they are all hyper-talented musicians who write great songs, they are three of the most down to earth people one could hope to meet. Absolutely no pretentiousness about them. Of course Neal is rather stand offish but that is only because he does not believe in fame or fandom per se. All truly nice people, if you run into Geddy or Alex, two very warm and accommodating guys...Neal, well, just talk about travel and motorcycles, keep it low key and he will warm to you, just don't expect to see him with Alex or Geddy off stage.

Rush, one of my top five bands and three of my favorite musicians. No wonder Jimmy & Robert got on so well with them.

My fantasy: Jimmy and Alex do an album together, no vocals, just instrumentation. Bliss

1 hour ago, The Dark Lord said:

I was only kidding my brother. All in fun. 

But you're right. I don't wish to gush on but the bigger point is Zeppelin is father and mother to so many amazing bands and that is as much of their legacy as their music. Once you start down the Zeppelin road, every detour is another incredible journey unto itself.

Man, I can't express enough how fortunate I feel that I was able to experience most of the incredible bands from the 60's, 70's, and 80's first hand, live. We do, insofar as music is concerned, were born at the right time give or take a few years.

Peace and good night Mr. Lord.

Ps. What part of the Great White North do you live in if I may ask?

11 hours ago, IpMan said:

But you're right. I don't wish to gush on but the bigger point is Zeppelin is father and mother to so many amazing bands and that is as much of their legacy as their music. Once you start down the Zeppelin road, every detour is another incredible journey unto itself.

Man, I can't express enough how fortunate I feel that I was able to experience most of the incredible bands from the 60's, 70's, and 80's first hand, live. We do, insofar as music is concerned, were born at the right time give or take a few years.

Peace and good night Mr. Lord.

Ps. What part of the Great White North do you live in if I may ask?

I share your thoughts my friend. I'm in Vancouver. 

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

Billy Joel on Zeppelin:

That's awesome! I've never heard that before. I used to be a huge Billy Joel fan back in the early 80's, and I still like his stuff from the 70's, pretty much everything up to Nylon Curtain.

To briefly steer back into the Rush discussion, they're a great band, one of my favorites. However, some of their fans can be real annoying and therefore real fun to pick on.

• 2 months later...

Nice short Billy Joel interview clip -- never saw that.. I love "The Nylon Curtain" just as much as "The Stranger"

When Jimmy said "I'll have something big next year" as in touring (2016) I thought maybe he was the guitarist in the rumored Billy Joel, Don Henley, and Sting supergroup.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2017 at 6:58 PM, Pyrettablaze said:

Steve was never known to be the nicest of guys, that's a closest thing to a compliment you'll ever get from him! :hysterical:

Steve is a great musician though....

Considering all the Rush gushing in this thread, seemed appropriate I respond to this post (see my screen name). Most likely everyone has alreadt seen it, so I apologize if it is redundant.

• 1 year later...