The Zep song that makes you wanna cry

hbmichaellu

Think this will go in the newbie section tbh. But mine is Stairway to heaven. Because i think of my late Nanna. But it makes me emotional in a good way. So if i do not want to get all soft and tearful i just sing along to it like the rest of the Zep tracks. Misty Mountain hop gets me all wild, Suppose very happy emotional. I really belt it out at times. Emotions always come out when you are like that.

The Rain Song.....

"I felt the coldness of my winter
I never thought it would ever go-ohhh

I curse the gloom that's set upon us.

But I know, that I love you so"

Choke up every time. Usually can't sing those particular lyrics.

It's amazing the effects specific passages have on people. This is an interesting thread.

3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Anything on In Through The Outdoor, because i can't believe how bad an album can be from a band I grew up with and loved

LOL!  Wow!  Poor ITTOD....

As for the thread, I think Tangerine might be my choice.  Such a pretty song.

7 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Anything on In Through The Outdoor, because i can't believe how bad an album can be from a band I grew up with and loved

Bad ?. If you did not like 1 or 2 of the tracks. Fine. That is making out you do not rate a sinle one on it. Cannot believe that. Not even, In the evening, Carouselambra or All my love. My Mrs says how much she likes them. And she does not make out she is a Zephead. That is quite a statement. We all have our tastes. With Zep i would say i have my faves and then the rest in sort of order of preference. It will change as my mood does. Then the one i have at the bottom of my list would be my least liked. Does not mean i dislike. I have listened them that much, I cannot dislike any.

20 hours ago, craigled said:

Bad ?. If you did not like 1 or 2 of the tracks. Fine. That is making out you do not rate a sinle one on it. Cannot believe that. Not even, In the evening, Carouselambra or All my love. My Mrs says how much she likes them. And she does not make out she is a Zephead. That is quite a statement. We all have our tastes. With Zep i would say i have my faves and then the rest in sort of order of preference. It will change as my mood does. Then the one i have at the bottom of my list would be my least liked. Does not mean i dislike. I have listened them that much, I cannot dislike any.

OK So I have revisited ITTOD. Gave it a good listen and at a pinch I don't mind Fool In The Rain - mainly for Bonzo's tight drumming. But alas for the rest I still don't get it. It will always remain at the back of my album collection nestled as a close second to "Automatic Fine Tuning" - a band and album so incredibly bad, that it was never used to skin up on and was only for sale in the bargain bin at WH Smith - along with the fore mentioned last album of the greatest rock band of all time.

For me a very sad tune is Tea For One. Even the title is sad. A reflection of how the band were at that stage. " A minute seems like a lifetime, Baby when I feel this way"

6 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

OK So I have revisited ITTOD. Gave it a good listen and at a pinch I don't mind Fool In The Rain - mainly for Bonzo's tight drumming. But alas for the rest I still don't get it. It will always remain at the back of my album collection nestled as a close second to "Automatic Fine Tuning" - a band and album so incredibly bad, that it was never used to skin up on and was only for sale in the bargain bin at WH Smith - along with the fore mentioned last album of the greatest rock band of all time.

For me a very sad tune is Tea For One. Even the title is sad. A reflection of how the band were at that stage. " A minute seems like a lifetime, Baby when I feel this way"

Ironically as a teen I liked their "newer" stuff compared to Zeppelin I for instance.  Fool in the Rain, All of my Love, I'm Gonna Crawl, In the Evening, I was really into it, now I just appreciate Pages guitar too much to hold this album in the highest regard.  Would still gladly listen to it as it is still a good album.

In terms of crying sorrow, probably Ten Years Gone and Going to California.  Just perfect songs that have a reflective mood.

15 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Love this post chillumpuffer. I also agree. I'd take Fool in the Rain, but I also like Carouselambra. Don't like anything else on it. 

The obvious sad Led Zeppelin song for me is All of My Love. No father should have to bury their son and in this case i can't imagine how difficult it was for Robert to sing this song about Karac much like Eric Clapton with "Tears In Heaven" and the tragedy he endured. You can notice the extreme pain and emotion in Robert's voice near the end of  "All Of My Love" .....just gut wrenching.

The only thing I ever cry at is when Mick dies in Rocky III.

I've never thought of Led Zeppelin as that sort of band although plenty of their songs (That's the way, Ten years gone & Thank you to name three) are full of beauty.

Maybe I'm just a heartless swine.

• 2 weeks later...

All My Love. Because I know what it is about. Robert's son who died.

Four Sticks too when it goes into that middle eastern keyboard part. One of the first moments where a rock band truly explored what we now call world music. How the critics missed that is beyond me.

Archived