STEVE MARRIOT 1980'S

after having slight success with the firm, and a reunion with plant and jones, page is in the midst of making outrider. some of those songs had potential to be pretty good zep material.

anyway plant wasn't interested in doing a zep reunion. so that would have meant that page was looking for singers for that outrider album. he eventually settled on miles and chris farlowe.

steve marriot around that time wasn't making any albums as I know of. he was probably touring small clubs at that point in his career.

wonder why page didn't consider marriot to sing on the outrider album and possibly form another "supergroup."

Because by that point in his life, Marriott was a complete mess. He was deep into alcoholism and was both mentally and physically abusive while drunk. He wound up passing away in a house fire he accidentally started while intoxicated as he passed out with a lit cigarette. 

A real tragedy as he was an amazingly talented singer and guitar player. Marriott would have been great with Page.

Also Marriott was still a bit narked at Robert Plant, and Jimmy by association, for basically copying his vocal delivery verbatim from 'you need loving' on 'whole lotta love'.  Robert was pretty much channelling Marriott throughout the whole of led zep I.

23 minutes ago, woz70 said:

Also Marriott was still a bit narked at Robert Plant, and Jimmy by association, for basically copying his vocal delivery verbatim from 'you need loving' on 'whole lotta love'.  Robert was pretty much channelling Marriott throughout the whole of led zep I.

Musicians can be such whiny little bitches. He should have been flattered, not offended, after all he was asked to join Zeppelin as choice #1 but turned it down...or rather his management turned it down for him.

Hi guys. Always been keen to explore more of Marriott's music. I've some of the Small Faces stuff. I like it, but it's never gonna be 'up there'. I've seen clips of him playing live with the Small Faces and he is a great player. 

Not heard any humble pie stuff at all. Do you have any recommendations? Or any recommendations of his other material for that matter? 

6 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Hi guys. Always been keen to explore more of Marriott's music. I've some of the Small Faces stuff. I like it, but it's never gonna be 'up there'. I've seen clips of him playing live with the Small Faces and he is a great player. 

Not heard any humble pie stuff at all. Do you have any recommendations? Or any recommendations of his other material for that matter? 

This is as good as any. Peter Frampton on guitar as well. A very heavy album, but great

19 hours ago, IpMan said:

Musicians can be such whiny little bitches. He should have been flattered, not offended, after all he was asked to join Zeppelin as choice #1 but turned it down...or rather his management turned it down for him.

Yes, the 'difficult to play with broken fingers' incident...

Archived