Was Jimmy's peak in 1973?

CBR_1000RR

Was that the absolute best form he was ever in over the course of his career?

Listening to the 1973-1-22 Southampton show was mind-blowing with his playing. The band was a little sluggish on Rock and Roll, but by the time they hit Black Dog, Jimmy takes off from there. The pick work seems effortless and his fingers seem to just dance on the strings. I love his playing no matter the year, but while people say 1968-1973 was his window, I feel like 1973 is just him being effort less and displaying incredible dexterity that flows. 

On a consistent basis, yes, 73' would be his peak in Zeppelin. However I would suggest he was just as good if not better in 98'. In 98' he was amazing every damn night, just mind blowing on that tour. 

I would have to say in some ways 72 was the peak for me, in terms of his technique, flow of ideas and feeling. Listen to his playing on Dazed and Confused from Long Beach. It's just astounding !  I love his playing in 73, on both Europe and US shows he is consistently brilliant ...but there are signs of the sticky fingers syndrome that seemed to settle in for good through the rest of his live playing. For me though, his solo on No Quarter from TSRTS soundtrack is the peak. Too hard to choose, 69-73 are the pinnacle for me. 

Edited by porgie66

if 1973 wasn't his actual peak (though in my opinion Europe 73 probably is) then it was the end of his peak period. After that he was never as consistent or as fluid again, even though he obviously had some great moments still. the 77 tour bad bits being the nadir for me.

2 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

...if Jimmy says Led Zeppelin were at their peak in '72, we are we to dispute that?

Jimmy says a lot of things that aren't based in fact or truth, although the point is taken. The difference between 1972 and 1973 is days, weeks, or months. They are generally the same thing. 

Edited by The Dark Lord

I don't know about Jimmy, but I peaked something fine last night around midnight. That sweet bud I picked up coupled with a glass of Pappy Van Winkle 20 year old bourbon sent me to Saturn and back. 

WOWZA!!!

Oh, and I also found out my dog thinks the UPS guy is satan and the cats told me they really don't give a single fuck...about anything.

LOL @lpMan!

For me the Japan shows of 71 and most of 72-73 are all peak Jimmy. I think this is mainly about consistency, because there are patches of brilliance just about every year, if only for one song in a show. Then there's 1998. This is something I stumbled upon once.

4 hours ago, Sandey said:

LOL @lpMan!

For me the Japan shows of 71 and most of 72-73 are all peak Jimmy. I think this is mainly about consistency, because there are patches of brilliance just about every year, if only for one song in a show. Then there's 1998. This is something I stumbled upon once.

Holy Jesus tap dancing Christ, that break in the middle was one of the most tortured solos I have ever heard. Simply heartbreaking and brilliant. I never saw this before and I am a huge fan of 98". For me, this is Jimmy at the top of his game...Period. 

Thank you Sandey

^ Greatness. Its hard to choose a favorite year, but i would definitely have to go with 1973. The unbelievable playing along with his best tone ever takes the cake for me. The whole band just seemed to slip into another dimension in '73. Their playing was more relaxed and confident than they'd ever been before. I'd also have to say that Bonham's drumming had noticeably matured on this tour. His playing was less thrashy and more focused and disciplined than he'd ever been. 

I know we're talking about his playing in this thread, but as blindwillie states, in 73 Page's tone was also great. the change to his set up in '75 and particularly in '77 resulted in IMO meant a less satisfying tone

Some good points raised here, I'm especially interested to hear if lpMan will ever peak to that level or beyond again. ? If we stick to the topic question of this thread...his playing in 77 was no where near where near the execution,articulation, and fluidity of ideas at his command from 69-73. Even in 73, there were early signs of sticky fingers syndrome which would become more prominent in 75 and beyond. I've been listening to the Aussie 72 shows lately and that is Jimmy at his prime.