The Beatles thread

14495162.JPG

For those that are interested.... this 992 page tome is now available at Barnes & Noble for an after-Holiday Sale of just $7.98.

I particularly enjoyed reading about The Beatles first meeting with Bob Dylan in 1964 in NYC. You know, ehre Dylan got the Boys to go "Herbal", instead of Pharamacuetical..

Check it out!

I sure will!!

Thanks for the tip! :)

I grew up with The Beatles, like most old farts. :lol:

Still love the band. Just got the Capitol box sets (the American releases minus "The Beatles Again/Hey Jude" and "Yesterday And Today". Sound quality is phenomenal.

So a big improvement on the origninal CD masters?

Let It Be- Naked (a vast improvement over the original-get it!!!)

Absolutely!!

That was never released properly as a cd.....well, maybe in some countries..but even then, it'd have been a bootleg. But that vinyl was common back in the early to mid 70s. It just gathered some singles and a few album tracks to make it a full length record.

Stuff like...Don't Let Me Down, Get Back, Paperback Writer, Rain, Old Brown Shoe, The Ballad of John and Yoko....for, at the time, recent singles that'd never been on LP.

This was from the photo session for the LP....back cover....I think the Beatles 'looked' the coolest in this time period...photos taken in August of '69.

beatlesagainback.jpg

I agree. GREAT photo.

I just found Let it Be, BTW. B)

The Beatles are my favorite but comparing them to Zep (or any other artist for that matter), seems as pointless as naming your favorite member of the band. It's music, not some kind of competition.

That said, my favorite record is Hey Jude (aka The Beatles Again). Not a proper album, I know but still my fave.

The tracks on this one sound just like the ones that turned up later on Past Masters. Am I correct? Same mix?

Where'd you get that one? :blink:

I first heard it on cassette during a trip across Europe in 1972. I believe one of my older brothers purchased it there along with Zep IV (which was on an orange cassette). I don't own a copy myself but most of the tunes can be found on Past Masters Vol. II. It's also available on vinyl. To my knowledge it has never been released on CD. Perhaps someday.

The tracks on this one sound just like the ones that turned up later on Past Masters. Am I correct? Same mix?

If you're referring to the tracklists themselves they are not identical. As for the sound quality, I'm not sure what the source tapes were for Past Masters. It's been my understanding that the Beatles catalog has never been remastered. That said, their upcoming deal with iTunes is supposed to be a remastered version of their entire catalog.

Hey Jude (aka The Beatles Again) Tracklist

1. Can't Buy Me Love

2. I Should Have Known Better

3. Paperback Writer

4. Rain

5. Lady Madonna

6. Revolution

7. Hey Jude

8. Old Brown Shoe

9. Don't Let Me Down

10. The Ballad Of John And Yoko

By the way, the above album is available on CD (with 9 bonus tracks) on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Again-Jude-B...n/dp/B000XLU4D4

Edited by Jahfin

Yeah...but sad to say...the upcoming remasters will be defeated in that they will overwhelmingly be downloaded as CRAP mp3 !!!!!!

Not if they're also released in CD format, an aspect of the remasters that hasn't been revealed yet.

I think gperkins was wondering if the songs were the same 'MIX' from the Beatles Again to Past Masters...of which I addressed in my post.

Yes, you did but as you can see from the post times we were both answering his questions at roughly the same time.

And yes...some of the early Beatles have been remastered...ala the US Capitol boxes....and of course, the Let it Be Naked cd. Even Magical Mystery Tour was done in ADD at the time of it's original cd release in '87....that WAS remastered at that time....not just 'mastered'. Help and Rubber Soul ( the British versions ) were also originally done ADD in '87...thus remastered as well...a that time.

Thanks for the clarification, I obviously overlooked those.

If you're referring to the tracklists themselves they are not identical. As for the sound quality, I'm not sure what the source tapes were for Past Masters. It's been my understanding that the Beatles catalog has never been remastered. That said, their upcoming deal with iTunes is supposed to be a remastered version of their entire catalog.

Hey Jude (aka The Beatles Again) Tracklist

1. Can't Buy Me Love

2. I Should Have Known Better

3. Paperback Writer

4. Rain

5. Lady Madonna

6. Revolution

7. Hey Jude

8. Old Brown Shoe

9. Don't Let Me Down

10. The Ballad Of John And Yoko

By the way, the above album is available on CD (with 9 bonus tracks) on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Again-Jude-B...n/dp/B000XLU4D4

Well, what I was trying to ask is "are there any recordings on "Let it Be" that aren't available on either Past Masters 1 or 2 or any of the regular album releases?

I "found" a copy of Let it Be earlier and my ears tell me that all of these songs/recordings are already in my collection as part of the aforementioned albums.

What I think I just figured out was that you liked the song selection. Originally, I thought you said you preferred it because it had alternate versions.

Well, what I was trying to ask is "are there any recordings on "Let it Be" that aren't available on either Past Masters 1 or 2 or any of the regular album releases?

My apologies. I thought you were referring to the songs on Hey Jude (aka The Beatles Again) vs. the songs on Past Masters Vol. II.

What I think I just figured out was that you liked the song selection. Originally, I thought you said you preferred it because it had alternate versions.

Yes, it's the song selection I like (which I'm pretty sure I stated in a previous post), I don't recall ever having said anything about them being alternate versions.

Edited by Jahfin

My apologies. I thought you were referring to the songs on Hey Jude (aka The Beatles Again) vs. the songs on Past Masters Vol. II.

I was, actually. (Damn Mercury retrograde)

As far as I can see, the first two tracks are on "Can't Buy Me Love" and the remaining ones are on Past Masters Vol 1 and 2.

Yes, it's the song selection I like (which I'm pretty sure I stated in a previous post), I don't recall ever having said anything about them being alternate versions.

No, you didn't, that's only me, it's not my mind. (That is confusing things) ;)

Have you heard the Complete Rooftop Concert? I got it this past christmas (as a download) *ducks oncoming tomatoes*

It's a lot of fun.

Well Jahfin....I'd be willing to guess...guess mind you...that if your bootleg collection is very extensive, you have shows that were iiberated by cash incentives.

I have only a few unofficial live recordings I paid cash for but that was before I knew any better and well before the advent of the internet. In this day and age of the B & P and the ability to download for free there is no reason to pay for live recordings (except in very rare cases). Even then I try to avoid it at all costs because any way you look at it, it is stealing money from the artists in question and putting it in the pocket of bootlegers.

There are a mulititude of shows out there.....that only came out because of a cash payout. Right or Wrong in one's view of it....it's a fact.

Maybe you don't have any boots that have that quality...but if you found out you did, would you get rid of them ?

No. As I said, I simply didn't know any better back then and consider it water under the bridge by now and a very valuable lesson learned. If others want to rob from their favorite artists by supporting bootleggers they can continue to do so but it's a stance I personally do not support. If the sale of illegal bootlegs wasn't a problem you wouldn't see things like the Grateful Dead's Dick's Picks series, Instant Live and similar approachs being taken by everyone from Jimmy Buffett to Pearl Jam, all as a deterrent to put the bootleggers out of business.

Oh and...about the reference I made to your iTunes mention of Beatle Remasters....does ITunes not benefit from the VAST majority of downloads as mp3 ? You made reference to it in the iTunes context...so my comment was directed at that facet of your statement....just to clarify my post quoting yours. Seems we have many 'circle games' on this board involving members to further make clear on their posts.

During our discussion of the Beatles catalog being remastered I merely mentioned the digital aspect of it as I'm aware that's part of the deal but don't know all of the details, that's why I said I hope they will also be re-released in the compact disc format. If you're trying to drag me into another of your "mp3s are inferior arguments" you're preaching to the choir as I totally agree with you. As for the trading community, every taper/trader I know goes to great lengths to ensure their recordings stay in the original, uncompressed format. What people do with them after that is completely up to them, just so long as they are not circulated as mp3s among other traders.

I have only a few unofficial live recordings I paid cash for but that was before I knew any better and well before the advent of the internet. In this day and age of the B & P and the ability to download for free there is no reason to pay for live recordings (except in very rare cases). Even then I try to avoid it at all costs because any way you look at it, it is stealing money from the artists in question and putting it in the pocket of bootlegers.

No. As I said, I simply didn't know any better back then and consider it water under the bridge by now and a very valuable lesson learned. If others want to rob from their favorite artists by supporting bootleggers they can continue to do so but it's a stance I personally do not support. If the sale of illegal bootlegs wasn't a problem you wouldn't see things like the Grateful Dead's Dick's Picks series, Instant Live and similar approachs being taken by everyone from Jimmy Buffett to Pearl Jam, all as a deterrent to put the bootleggers out of business.

During our discussion of the Beatles catalog being remastered I merely mentioned the digital aspect of it as I'm aware that's part of the deal but don't know all of the details, that's why I said I hope they will also be re-released in the compact disc format. If you're trying to drag me into another of your "mp3s are inferior arguments" you're preaching to the choir as I totally agree with you. As for the trading community, every taper/trader I know goes to great lengths to ensure their recordings stay in the original, uncompressed format. What people do with them after that is completely up to them, just so long as they are not circulated as mp3s among other traders.

Yes..I DO understand what you say about bootlegs and money....I mostly agree. B)

But .... Robert Fripp of King Crimson goes one step further in his philosophy. He says merely trading is ALSO wrong. He contends that the music is still the work of an artist and any possession of such illegal recordings and trading constitute working with a 'product' that isn't the person's in possession's own work. I could probably find his full statement if you ever wanted to read it.

He's not like these 'trade friendly' artists that are out there now....and there are still many who absolutely don't condone trading or possession of bootlegs...

This list is severly outdated....but lists bands both allowing and disallowing recording of shows..and some of their reasons...

http://solorb.com/dat-heads/recordable_bands.html

Oh and I wasn't preaching when I mentioned the mp3 thing...only saying that...again..because of you including the iTunes thing along with mention of remastering. iTunes are OBVIOUSLY notorious for mp3's...they may in fact offer full file downloads too. I don't use iTunes..so I don't know for sure......I know your not an mp3 enthusiast ! :lol:

Edited by Joelmon

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003697074

Miami Indie Lays Claim To Early Beatles Tracks

beatles_the_03l.gif

The Beatles

Ayala Ben-Yehuda, L.A.

An independent Miami label says it plans to release never-before-heard Beatles live recordings made in 1962 at the Star Club in Hamburg, Germany.

Fuego Entertainment, which distributes music through Koch, has entered into a joint venture, Echo-Fuego, with British producer/promoter Jeffrey Collins to put out his catalog holdings. They say those include a live Beatles performance of 15 songs at the club.

No release date has been set for the recordings, which the label claims are the first to feature drummer Ringo Starr as part of the group. Other Beatles recordings from the Star Club have been released, but Fuego says its collection includes previously unheard tracks, such as covers of Hank Williams' "Lovesick Blues" and Maurice Williams' "Do You Believe."

Other live Beatles tracks the label says it holds (a claim Billboard was unable to verify) also include "Twist and Shout," "I Saw Her Standing There," "Hippy Hippy Shake," "A Taste of Honey," "Money," and "Ask Me Why," which can be heard in other recorded Beatles performances at the Star Club.

Collins, who now lives in Florida, says he got the original tapes at the time from a DJ he'd booked for the club the night of the Beatles' performance.

When he got the tapes, which the label says were recorded with the club's permission, "they were in terrible condition," says Collins. Decades later, he was able to digitally remaster them "to make them sound coherent," but says Apple Corps rebuffed his 1996 overture to release the tracks.

The lack of a release date illustrates the obstacles involved in releasing Beatles-related product. "Through legal channels, we will be making these albums available for release," says Collins. "The Beatles know these tapes exist and their lawyers know these tapes exist. It's a matter of certain legalities."

"We don't have a comment as such but not surprisingly are looking into the claim," says a spokesperson from Apple Corps., which maintains the Beatles' business affairs.

Fuego Entertainment president/CEO Hugo Cancio says for $4.95, fuegoentertainment.net is offering a full-track stream of the live "I Saw Her Standing There," plus clips of other live Beatles songs in its collection; downloads of a track each by Ahmir and rapper KRS-One; and early download access to its recording of Jimi Hendrix's "Rainbow Bridge" concert.

Astute Beatles fan are already calling foul. According to Steve Marinucci, who runs Abbeyrd's Beatles Page, of the four tracks on the Fuego site, only "A Taste of Honey" is unheard, and the "Lovesick Blues" cover isn't even by the Beatles at all. As for the sound quality, Marinucci says they are no better than earlier "Star Club" releases, which are decidedly lo-fi.

Meanwhile, the company's rights to the Hendrix material have already been disavowed by the late guitarist's estate and its subsidiary enterprise, Experience Hendrix. "Experience Hendrix serves notice that it will take all legal action necessary to remove this bootleg material from the market and recover damages against Fuego Entertainment and associated parties for infringement as authorized under applicable law," the company said in a statement.

Hey Jahfin, Joelmon (tangerine plant says hi)

I'm a huge Beatles fan. My daughter also shares my love. She knows many of the words to her two favs: All My Loving and Eight Days a Week. Songs she asks me to play for her by name! I hope to influence her to play a musical instrument when shes around five. She likes many zep songs, too.

Hi tangerine plant !! Long time, no see !!!

You've made a nice subtle re-entry ! :lol: Beatle threads are always a nice place to come to reaquaint....and that's great about your daughter....startin' her off right with the early stuff...it's a bit more kid friendly. :)

Hope you stick around....

I can cut The Beatles all kind of slack as far as influence up to about 1966. Once the Summer of '67 came around, I think you can make a good argument that they were overrated media darlings to a certain extent. How a band that never played live after 1966 could be called the best rock and roll band ever is beyond me. Best pop songwriters ? Ok....I can buy that. Best rock and roll band ? Sorry....not when your influence as far as live performance was virtually zero.

They wrote candy-ass pop songs until Dylan challenged them. IMO, The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Hendrix, Cream, and others shot past them as far as relevance by '67. The Moody Blues beat Sgt. Peppers with "Days of Future Passed". The Stones, after chasing The Beatles with Satanic Majesties Request" went their own way and showed us the dirty side of rock, including defining the modern live rock show. New recording techniques brought everyone up to speed to anything that George Martin provided.

The Beatles knew better than to try an O2 type concert in the 70's. They would have fallen flat on their faces in a live setting. It sure the heck wouldn't be a 4 piece band.

Anyone here that was old enough to buy "Double Fantasy" when it was released in the Fall of '80 ......How often did you listen to Yoko's side of the lp ? Critics poked fun of Linda McCartney's off key background vocals. Lennon gave Yoko Romo a whole frickin album side on his first solo album in 6 years so she could waste 20 minutes howling like an injured Mandarin dog !! :blink:

McCartney 70's solo candy like "Let 'Em In" & "My Love",....it's crap. If you can compare that to anything by Zep, we better start talking about how much you enjoy Billy Joel, Elton John, etc.....because they wrote better stuff in the same vein in the same era.. Look at Harrison's 70's solo stuff. Sure I enjoy "All Things Must Pass"....but how about "Extra Texture" or "33 1/3"" ?

Just fanning the Friday flames of a good thread. :rolleyes:

I can cut The Beatles all kind of slack as far as influence up to about 1966. Once the Summer of '67 came around, I think you can make a good argument that they were overrated media darlings to a certain extent. How a band that never played live after 1966 could be called the best rock and roll band ever is beyond me. Best pop songwriters ? Ok....I can buy that. Best rock and roll band ? Sorry....not when your influence as far as live performance was virtually zero.

An artist doesn't have to perform live to be considered "the best rock n' roll band" and the Beatles are no exception. They quit performing live for obvious reasons and began to focus solely on studio craft. That doesn't lessen their abilities as a live band one bit in my eyes. The Brian Wilson Pet Sounds era Beach Boys are probably best known for their studio work but that hasn't stopped them from being considered one of the best rock n' roll bands in the world. Following 10 years of near non-stop touring R.E.M. stopped performing live so they too could concentrate on perfecting their talents in the studio. The result? Out of Time and Automatic For the People. They returned to the road with a vengence in '95 to tour behind Monster and have continued to tour ever since. They are still considered one of the best live bands out there. There are many other examples but there's two very shining ones right there.

Anyone here that was old enough to buy "Double Fantasy" when it was released in the Fall of '80 ......How often did you listen to Yoko's side of the lp ? Critics poked fun of Linda McCartney's off key background vocals. Lennon gave Yoko Romo a whole frickin album side on his first solo album in 6 years so she could waste 20 minutes howling like an injured Mandarin dog !! :blink:

McCartney 70's solo candy like "Let 'Em In" & "My Love",....it's crap. If you can compare that to anything by Zep, we better start talking about how much you enjoy Billy Joel, Elton John, etc.....because they wrote better stuff in the same vein in the same era.. Look at Harrison's 70's solo stuff. Sure I enjoy "All Things Must Pass"....but how about "Extra Texture" or "33 1/3"" ?

Just fanning the Friday flames of a good thread. :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Fucking great !!!!!

...and I'm an unashamed Beatle fanboy....

Edited by Joelmon

Like her or not, Yoko is considered a huge influence on many, many performers. Just ask Diamanda Galas.

That said, I've never been very tolerant of her banshee wail myself and once emptied a pizza place in Greenville, NC by playing Kiss, Kiss, Kiss on the jukebox non-stop back in the 80s when Double Fantasy first came out.

Like her or not, Yoko is considered a huge influence on many, many performers. Just ask Diamanda Galas.

That said, I've never been very tolerant of her banshee wail myself and once emptied a pizza place in Greenville, NC by playing Kiss, Kiss, Kiss on the jukebox non-stop back in the 80s when Double Fantasy first came out.

I don't speak Greek.

And that Kiss, Kiss, Kiss song would empty me of my pizza besides driving me out of the joint !!!

Just watch the facial expression of the violinist in The Dirty Mac when Yoko opens her mouth. :rolleyes:

I named Diamanda only because this is a Zep board and figured others here would be familiar with the name since John Paul Jones has worked with her but like I said, lots of other vocalists site her as an influence including the much beloved Bjork. Even though I'm not a fan of her style, I've never been one to engage in Yoko bashing. It's rather obvious John Lennon loved her very much and she continues to honor his memory so I can't say I really have anything against her.