The Beatles thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you're under 40, there's a good chance you've never heard the Beatles' music the way it sounded in the 1960s. All of their music, every note of it, was recorded on analog tape -- but all of the Beatles' CDs and LPs mastered after 1986 were sourced from digital masters. Even the 2012 remastered stereo LPs were cut from digital masters. So the big news here is the 2014 remastered mono Beatles LPs are the first to be 100 percent all-analog albums since the 1980s. If you've never heard the band's older LPs, the new mono, 180-gram LPs will knock you for a loop. I have the limited-edition "The Beatles in Mono" box set, but the mono LPs are also available individually.

http://www.cnet.com/news/youve-never-heard-the-beatles-sound-like-this-before/

No Complaints: An Interview with Pete Best, the Original Drummer of the Beatles

By Zachary Stockill 25 August 2014

http://www.popmatters.com/feature/184898-no-complaints-an-interview-with-pete-best-the-original-drummer-of-th/

That was a really good read. Thank you for posting it. It's interesting how people look at it from the perspective that Pete Best lost out because the Beatles went on to super stardom and he was left behind. It sounds like Pete has had a nice fulfilling life and still enjoys playing and delivering the gift, joy of music to people. Good for him. Good to know he's happy.

That was a really good read. Thank you for posting it. It's interesting how people look at it from the perspective that Pete Best lost out because the Beatles went on to super stardom and he was left behind. It sounds like Pete has had a nice fulfilling life and still enjoys playing and delivering the gift, joy of music to people. Good for him. Good to know he's happy.

I agree, he was still a member of the Beatles, not many can say that!

I agree, he was still a member of the Beatles, not many can say that!

The same can be said of Stuart Sutcliffe.

I'm not sure if I need to pony up for the deluxe mono box of Beatles vinyl. I have the stereo and mono cd deluxe boxes that came out a few years ago, as well as some of the original Beatles vinyl from the 60s. Plus, unlike Led Zeppelin, Velvet Underground, Stooges, and other favourite groups of mine, the Beatles are still played everywhere so often that I can go months without ever feeling the need to put on a Beatle album. Every Sunday the local LA radio has a "Breakfast with the Beatles" show for several hours, where they play deep cuts and even unreleased tracks and bootleg live stuff.

$4000 for the same Beatles I already own? No thanks, I'll save my money for the Zeppelin boxes.

The same can be said of Stuart Sutcliffe.

I'm not sure if I need to pony up for the deluxe mono box of Beatles vinyl. I have the stereo and mono cd deluxe boxes that came out a few years ago, as well as some of the original Beatles vinyl from the 60s. Plus, unlike Led Zeppelin, Velvet Underground, Stooges, and other favourite groups of mine, the Beatles are still played everywhere so often that I can go months without ever feeling the need to put on a Beatle album. Every Sunday the local LA radio has a "Breakfast with the Beatles" show for several hours, where they play deep cuts and even unreleased tracks and bootleg live stuff.

$4000 for the same Beatles I already own? No thanks, I'll save my money for the Zeppelin boxes.

Same here, don't really understand the purpose of this release, didn't they just do this in 2009?

Same here, don't really understand the purpose of this release, didn't they just do this in 2009?

I believe this will be the first time the mono vinyl will be issued (the crappy 1987 mono versions of the first four albums notwithstanding) since 1982. I like the idea of finally being able to buy a mono copy of Revolver on vinyl without having to take out a goddamned second mortgage (mono Revolver in good condition sell for yea bucks on EBay)

I believe this will be the first time the mono vinyl will be issued (the crappy 1987 mono versions of the first four albums notwithstanding) since 1982. I like the idea of finally being able to buy a mono copy of Revolver on vinyl without having to take out a goddamned second mortgage (mono Revolver in good condition sell for yea bucks on EBay)

Oh ok, that makes sense. I couldn't remember if vinyls came out with the 2009 reissues.

What do people think of the Love Album soundtrack remix album released in November 2006 (DVD-Audio) 24bit produced by George Martin and his son Giles Martin?

I beleive it is deffinately one of the Best Surround Sound Albums I have ever heard.

I only aquired it last year.

What a great producer George Martin is. :)