The Beatles thread

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Happy 50th Birthday Sgt. Pepper!

My dad came home from work the day "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" was released, with "Sgt. Pepper's..." and Jimi Hendrix "Are You Experienced?" in his bag. After dinner, he played them on his McIntosh stereo.

I was never the same after that. Sound and music and the concept of albums took on a whole new meaning for me.  You could say it set me on the path that led me to Led Zeppelin.

It doesn't matter to me if "Sgt. Pepper's" is the greatest album of all-time or even if it is the best Beatles album. It was the best Beatles album of 1967 and it was the album that truly awakened me to rock and roll and that is what is important.

125-640x329.jpg.4aa7547a703a13ae09c7ca33dcfc2af9.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 03/06/2017 at 2:22 AM, Strider said:

Happy 50th Birthday Sgt. Pepper!

My dad came home from work the day "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" was released, with "Sgt. Pepper's..." and Jimi Hendrix "Are You Experienced?" in his bag. After dinner, he played them on his McIntosh stereo.

I was never the same after that. Sound and music and the concept of albums took on a whole new meaning for me.  You could say it set me on the path that led me to Led Zeppelin.

It doesn't matter to me if "Sgt. Pepper's" is the greatest album of all-time or even if it is the best Beatles album. It was the best Beatles album of 1967 and it was the album that truly awakened me to rock and roll and that is what is important.

125-640x329.jpg.4aa7547a703a13ae09c7ca33dcfc2af9.jpg

Strider - great post mate. For the last year I’ve been learning to play the guitar. I love it. I’ve just about mastered barre chords. 

I have literally just put the guitar down before reading your post. I have just been playing “A Day In the Life”. When I realised I could and was playing it was like a teenagers wet dream. 

My recollections of listening to Sgt Pepper for the first time are not as strong as LZII, but what an album it is. I’m doubly proud as I’m from Liverpool as you know. 

Come on Liverpool tonight (playing Manchester City in the quarter finals if the European cup)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't condone b-toccing (re-re interpreting) but sometimes you can't help but notice some coincidences. Much of the time those language coincidences are intentional and planned but sometimes they are random and accidental. Take The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for example. THEBEatles tHEROllingstones. The anti-thesis of eachother ideally, yet untrue to themselves. The Beatles weren't thebes and the Rolling Stones aren't heros. Quite the opposite on both accounts. Proof that "reading between the lines" doesn't amount to anything of value and really can only serve as a brief amusement. Why do some re-res read between the lines like its biblical revelation? stupid stupid stupid

• 3 months later...

John Lennon and George Harrison can be seen in previously-unreleased footage from the studio sessions for Lennon's 1971 album Imagine. The material is included in the "Ultimate Collection" reissue, which will arrive on Oct. 5. http://ultimateclassicrock.com/lennon-harrison-how-do-you-sleep-footage/

Edited by luvlz2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I first heard this song about a year after the single was released.  In early 1970 my older brother brought home the US album release called "Hey Jude".  Back then we had no idea it was a  mashed up fake album.  We marvelled at this track, Rain, Paperback Writer, Hey Jude, Lady Madonna, Don't Let Me Down, Old Brown Shoe.  We didn't wonder why it had two really old songs on it either.  I was 10 and I was just digging the Beatles.  Of course we had no idea that this track was just John and Paul.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Jude_(Beatles_album)#Track_listing

Edited by John M