The Beatles thread

I looked for one and couldn't find one. Saw a few things about Lennon and Harrison but nothing of the Beatles...... and considering that we have a bunch of other threads about other famous bands I thought I'd start one on the Beatles

BeatlesPillowFight.jpg

I love the Beatles I've been addicted to them since I was fourteen and have tried to read almost every book I happened upon that looked interesting

My favorite album is Abbey Road..... it's their best album I think. Also love Rubber Soul and Revolver

So yeah, what's everybody else think?

How's it going all? Like "achilleslaststand77," I will always love THE BEATLES, there will always be a place in my heart for them. So much has been said about THE BEATLES and why they broke up. Many fans truly believe that Yoko Ono was the biggest reason why THE BEATLES broke up but I have to disagree. In my opinion, the REAL reason why THE BEATLES broke up was life itself. THE BEATLES grew up. Please remember that THE BEATLES were teenagers when they met. John and Paul were in their early teenage years when they met. George Harrison was only 14 years old when he went to Hamburg, Germany and performed at the Star Club. Paul McCartney said it best when he made this statement: We were like four boys that got together in the army and had some great times. But when the boys grew up and became men, it was time to leave the army, get married and have their own family. That's exactly what happened to THE BEATLES. Yes, Allan Klein took over the Manager duties and screwed THE BEATLES out of a lot of money but lets face it, John found Yoko and Paul found Linda. When John and Paul found their mates, they no longer needed each other. ITS CALLED LIFE! A band like THE BEATLES only comes once in a lifetime, there will never be another BEATLES again. Many bands such as THE ROLLING STONES have lasted many years, however, THE BEATLES were never meant to go on and last forever. THE BEATLES were too big and too great to last forever. I can talk about THE BEATLES forever but I think that all of you get the point.

• 3 weeks later...

hola, just found this really kool live (?) mashup version of two of the best bands of planet earth.

i know that some of you won´t dig it and perhaps will call it unholy,

but it had me really rolling on the floor, my walls echoing with laughter:

Do You Want to Know a Secret? Beatles experimental track exists

CBC News

An experimental track recorded by the Beatles in 1967 but never released might finally see the light of day if Paul McCartney has his way.

"I like it because it's The Beatles free, going off piste," he said in a BBC Radio 4 interview to be aired Nov. 20.

beatles_cp_1980622.jpg

The Fab Four, shown in a promotional photograph taken in the 1960s, recorded a 14-minute experimental track while working on Penny Lane.The Fab Four, shown in a promotional photograph taken in the 1960s, recorded a 14-minute experimental track while working on Penny Lane. (Associated Press)

Parts of the interview were published Sunday in The Observer newspaper.

McCartney said he still had a master tape of the 14-minute piece called Carnival of Light and "the time has come for it to get its moment."

Carnival of Light reportedly includes organ sounds, gargling, distorted guitar music and shouts of "Barcelona!" and "Are you all right?" From McCartney and John Lennon.

The track was put together Jan. 5, 1967, in between working on vocals for Penny Lane at Abbey Road studios.

At the time, McCartney had been commissioned to create a track for the 1967 Million Dollar Light and Volt Sound Rave at the Roundhouse Theatre in London.

He says his inspiration for the piece came from composers Karlheinz Stockhausen and John Cage — perhaps best known for 4'33, a completely silent composition.

"I said to the guys, 'This is a bit indulgent, but would you mind giving me 10 minutes?,'" recalls McCartney.

"All I want you to do is just wander round all the stuff and bang it, shout, play it. Then we put a bit of echo on it. It's very free."

It was played just once for an audience at an electronic music festival in London but was not introduced as a Beatles track.

The 66-year-old musician said he had wanted to include the track on the Beatles' Anthology compilation but the rest of the Fab Four disagreed. George Harrison had called such experimentation "avant-garde a clue," McCartney said.

McCartney would need permission from Ringo Starr and the widows of Lennon (Yoko Ono) and Harrison (Olivia Harrison) to release the track.

Vatican forgives John Lennon for Jesus remark

11/22/2008 3:00 PM, Reuters

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) – The Vatican's newspaper has finally forgiven John Lennon for declaring that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ, calling the remark a "boast" by a young man grappling with sudden fame.

The comment by Lennon to a London newspaper in 1966 infuriated Christians, particularly in the United States, some of whom burned Beatles' albums in huge pyres.

But time apparently heals all wounds.

"The remark by John Lennon, which triggered deep indignation mainly in the United States, after many years sounds only like a 'boast' by a young working-class Englishman faced with unexpected success, after growing up in the legend of Elvis and rock and roll," Vatican daily Osservatore Romano said.

The article, marking the 40th anniversary of the Beatles' The White Album, went on to praise the pop band.

"The fact remains that 38 years after breaking up, the songs of the Lennon-McCartney brand have shown an extraordinary resistance to the passage of time, becoming a source of inspiration for more than one generation of pop musicians," it said.

Lennon was murdered in New York in 1980.

(Writing by Deepa Babington; editing by Keith Weir)

Source

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.freep.com/article/20081123/FEAT.../811230307/1030

Book review: John Lennon is a brawling, selfish, spiteful misogynist in Philip Norman's new biography

BY GLENN GARVIN • MCCLATCHY NEWSPAPERS • November 23, 2008

Everybody from Bill Clinton to Fidel Castro loves to remember John Lennon as the dippy Utopian of "Imagine."

Less remembered is the Lennon of "Run For Your Life": "Well I'd rather see you dead little girl/Than to be with another man." In Philip Norman's merciless biography, Lennon No. 2 is on full display, and the picture isn't pretty.

Spiteful and selfish, miserly and misogynistic, Lennon abused his friends, cheated on his women and quarreled with almost everyone he knew. His politics were phony and his public persona a pose -- the working-class hero never labored a day in his life. (Personal motto: "Death before work.")

"John Lennon: The Life" started out as a semi-authorized biography. But when Yoko Ono got a look at an early version of the manuscript, she told Norman he had been "mean to John" and cut him off.

Unlike Albert Goldman's vicious "The Lives of John Lennon," this book is no calculated character assassination. Norman admires Lennon's writing and musicianship and even appears to have some personal affection for Lennon. But his reporting butts up against the ruthlessness and self-indulgence with which Lennon conducted his life.

Manipulative from childhood, he loved to play the role of a thuggish Teddy Boy, the primitive British gangbangers of the day, but let his burlier friends finish the fights he started.

No one was immune from his bullying. He smacked a girlfriend for talking to another man. He once mugged a drunken fan. And Norman even investigates -- inconclusively -- an accusation that the brain hemorrhage that killed original Beatles bass player Stuart Sutcliffe was caused by a beating Lennon administered.

Perhaps no one suffered more at Lennon's hands than Cynthia Powell, his first wife.

Lennon cheated on Powell with friends, fans, practically any female at hand. Yet when Lennon dumped her for the loony avant-garde artist Ono in 1968, the divorce suit accused Powell of adultery, even though Ono was pregnant with his child.

As the Beatles rose from a boozy bar band into the leading cultural export of Great Britain, Lennon maintained a carefully manicured image of puppy-dog rebellion, epitomized by his remark at a concert attended by various members of the royal family: "Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry."

If Lennon had survived a mentally ill fan's bullet in 1980, he'd be 68 and perhaps past the age of artifice. Certainly, whether he liked it or not, he would recognize the portrait in these pages.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought that i would wait for the near-end of this thread to post....

Beatles....Hmmmmm, yes, i would imagine that they have had some influnce with regards to wehatever is popular today...yes.

Most likely the greatest/most influential band of all time(all due respect to LZ).

If i need to elaborate than you will never understand.

I got John Lennon: The Life for Christmas from a friend. I'm only just over 100 pages in and it really hasn't cast him as viscous yet. I just can't seem him as being that way. I'll update this the farther I get into the book though. It does goes really into detail about his life, and it makes me wonder how much is exactly true.

Vatican forgives John Lennon for Jesus remark

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) – The Vatican's newspaper has finally forgiven John Lennon for declaring that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ, calling the remark a "boast" by a young man grappling with sudden fame.

You'd think that after all these years the remark would be quoted in context.

RB

Love the Beatles. Favourite album is definately Sgt. Pepper..a studio masterpiece. Has anyone seen the film Across The Universe? It's set in late 60's and the actors sing Beatles songs that reflect the personal issues in their lives. The singers are really good. Jim Sturgess is the main character, Jude.

Check it out :)

Love the Beatles. Favourite album is definately Sgt. Pepper..a studio masterpiece. Has anyone seen the film Across The Universe? It's set in late 60's and the actors sing Beatles songs that reflect the personal issues in their lives. The singers are really good. Jim Sturgess is the main character, Jude.

Check it out :)

I loved that movie. I thought it was a really interesting interpretation of some of their music.

The U.S. Vs. John Lennon is a must for those that may not have seen it. VH1 tends to show it from time to time.

usjohnlennon.jpg

How's it going "Jahfin?" Being a die hard hard core BEATLES fanatic, I own just about everything there is to own on THE BEATLES including bootlegs. I own and have seen "THE U.S. VS. JOHN LENNON" on DVD many times, that is one hell of a Documentary film huh? I like this DVD and the "IMAGINE, JOHN LENNON" DVD, they both really tell the true stories of John Lennon well. ROCK ON!

B)B)B)B) Fab Four

anewor641.jpg

abeatlesposter.jpg

Very cool Dzldoc! I saw the Beatles too, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQugzbsHeGg

I still have my program with my ticket stub stapled inside. I was as high up in the nosebleed section as one could be. My husband thinks it's funny to tell people that I saw the Beatles in concert and then leave them wondering how old I am. I was 7, and the guest of a friend and her mother.