Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ThreeSticks

What were the hardest Led Zeppelin songs to compose

36 posts in this topic

On 2/7/2017 at 0:26 PM, IpMan said:

Black Dog was another tough track to nail. It sounds pretty simple, however the problem is in the off-timing and is a real bear for the three players to stay in sync.

Indeed. All you need to do is listen to the rehearsals for the fourth album to hear how hard they worked on it. It's a fascinating listen !

2 hours ago, JTM said:

"transcends genres like no other song. It is above classification"  

Ironically ''dippy'' comment....

How so?

20 minutes ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

How so?

Sort of like, takes one to know one...

If you want to split hairs on this, many groups including the Beatles in the mid to late 60's used mid eastern influences.

Zep did it like noone else before or since, that's why many groups swinging for the fences in that "style"( yes, beyond any

actual style) fail miserably.

9 hours ago, JTM said:

Sort of like, takes one to know one...

So you had nothing to add?

Great

I don't know about a particular song, though I think as an album Houses of the Holy might be their most intricate and complex album from start to finish.

I think a lot of "In Through the Out Door" was hard to compose. 

Page and Bonham were really messed up at the time, so Jones and Plant were in the drivers seats.

Presence as a whole would represent their most complex album but every album has their complex tunes. However, just because a song SOUNDS easy, does not mean it is. Black Dog is an excellent example of this as is Hot Dog. In fact many of Zep songs are like this. Zep for me is akin to Chopin, much of their material, just like Chopin's sound easy but the fact is much of their catalogue is very difficult to play correctly.

On 3/24/2017 at 3:24 AM, Mook said:

Listen to Fly on a Windshield by Genesis, which was recorded before Kashmir, Led Zeppelin didn't invent this kind of rock.

Fly was written and recorded in either June or July 1974. Kashmir was written and recorded in February 1974. Both bands interacted with each other and were both  at Hedley Grange separated by three months. However, Genesis did not record any tracks at Hedley Grange in May when they were there, they wrote some of the tracks there but Fly was not written until the actual recording sessions a month or two later. PG should have come out no later than June 74' but Jimmy and his album art once again delayed release as it had to HOTH. 

So, in closing it is very likely Kashmir influenced Genesis to write Fly as they likely heard the song before release. Whereas there is no way Fly influenced Kashmir unless Jimmy transcended time/space itself.

23 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Fly was written and recorded in either June or July 1974. Kashmir was written and recorded in February 1974. Both bands interacted with each other and were both  at Hedley Grange separated by three months. However, Genesis did not record any tracks at Hedley Grange in May when they were there, they wrote some of the tracks there but Fly was not written until the actual recording sessions a month or two later. PG should have come out no later than June 74' but Jimmy and his album art once again delayed release as it had to HOTH. 

So, in closing it is very likely Kashmir influenced Genesis to write Fly as they likely heard the song before release. Whereas there is no way Fly influenced Kashmir unless Jimmy transcended time/space itself.

Thanks for the info, I've always wondered which one was recorded & written first.

I read a quote from Steve Hackett (I think) & he'd said that Fly on a Windshield was intended to sound like pharaohs coming down the Nile on a giant boat or something to that effect, what he perhaps should've said was that it was meant to sound like Kashmir. Would've been more succinct.

Swan Song/Midnight Moonlight took the longest so I don't know if that equates to difficulty

I'm Gonna Crawl was a try, try, try again track that started as a mandolin/hurdy gurdy/acoustic in Feb '70.