Southampton 1973/01/23

rm2551

Southampton 1973/01/23 (folder says 23, but some cover artwork says 22, not sure)

Soundboard called "The Great Lost Live Album" - Could be a live album for the absolutely outstanding quality of the recording. (And I only have MP3's!)

SIBLY is simply incredible. It ranks among top 3 ever for me. Possibly their best.

OTHAFA is not as adventurous as it will often get, but is incredibly beautiful as is The Rain Song. Slower than usual, but just stunning. TSRTS - I think it's one of their best for the quality of the soundboard and the delivery at this particular gig. As good as the official one in the movie of the same name IMHO.

John Bonham is on fire throughout the entire show as they all are. Jimmy is a little reserved, but his playing is indicative of that period - excellent.

A rarity on this, JPJ comes in early on intro on Stairway which made me smile. I thought JPJ never made mistakes!

Overall, it does feel fairly stripped back in a way. Especially Jimmy. Like he was happy to play well within his usual exploratory self. The mad early skills and precision is there, but not so much the adventurous flair. Although SIBLY - wow - absolute pure emotion. In fact, i'd speculate this concert was approached and deliberately recorded in such good quality, with the guys all so "on" by design and was either a test run for what they could record live later that year, or was possibly going to be considered for release depending how they all felt about it. It really does seem like a great long lost live album.

Great concert. As good to listen to as any official release. The quality! Did I mention that?

Oh and one other thing that struck me as really cool. The crowd silence at softer parts, like the beginning and end of The Rain Song, intro to Stairway, other places where light turns to shade and you usually get a big response from the crowd. Like they were incredibly well behaved, or just in awe/really, really into it. When they do cheer it is loud and great, but the silence at certain moments contributes to the greatness of this particular boot. It's noticable and it's awesome. I'm assuming it was not removed or suppressed at times (doesn't feel like that).

So, as I'm still discovering all these boots now residing on my drive, a question....

1972/73/75 - How many concert boots are official release quality that are as good as, or better than this? Where the whole band is just on fire. a couple of songs at least that could be considered their best from that period (if not ever) - like this concert, or a concert that is just miles ahead of anything else. But where the quality of the board or matrix is at least on par with this one.

AND - if Jimmy ever gets wrapped up in what past shows he can showcase (the live vaults!), THIS - surely would have to be among contenders for any possible future release.

4 hours ago, rm2551 said:

1972/73/75 - How many concert boots are official release quality that are as good as, or better than this? Where the whole band is just on fire. a couple of songs at least that could be considered their best from that period (if not ever) - like this concert, or a concert that is just miles ahead of anything else. But where the quality of the board or matrix is at least on par with this one.

Off the top of my head...

That's Alright, New York - soundboard/audience matrix of the band's concert at MSG on February 12th, 1975. Fantastic sound quality. Robert's got a hoarse voice, but the rest of the band is having a great night.

Snow Jobs - an outstanding soundboard of their concert in Vancouver on March 19th, 1975.

That's all I can think of at the moment that comes close to official release quality.

It was considered for official release , and Kevin Shirley did the mixdowns. I read that it was scrapped due to the terrible condition of Plants voice and sub par playing from Page. Too much editing would've been required. HTWWW was obviously the better choice. Shirley mentioned in an interview that he reviewed around 15 tapes with Page! He said at least two of the Earl's Court were properly recorded , multi tracked. Rumors of Bath 70 and Blueberry Hill being multi track recorded also persist. Who knows. A 3 CD , one DVD official Earl's Court would make sense. Come on Jimmy, that's next since you won't play a guitar again. Give us something! 

About twenty years ago I have spent some days in London. I  browsed many record stores in search of L.Z. vinyl boots & luckily I finally found a "Going To California" by TMOQ (the one with beige cover and red writing). Cover and vinyls (red) seemed to be in great (NM) condition, the price was moderate, I felt like I had found an ancient treasure. One of the first things I did back home in Vienna was to listen to this record. Only a few seconds into the recording I started to get confused and worried: Why is Rock & Roll the first song? And as Robert joins with a completely shot voice I surely did pass out.  They sold me a Going to California cover and vinyls from the Southampton gig on 22. Jan. 1973! Maybe you can imagine that I wasn`t sure, if I should throw the record out of the window or jump myself.....................

14 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

About twenty years ago I have spent some days in London. I  browsed many record stores in search of L.Z. vinyl boots & luckily I finally found a "Going To California" by TMOQ (the one with beige cover and red writing). Cover and vinyls (red) seemed to be in great (NM) condition, the price was moderate, I felt like I had found an ancient treasure. One of the first things I did back home in Vienna was to listen to this record. Only a few seconds into the recording I started to get confused and worried: Why is Rock & Roll the first song? And as Robert joins with a completely shot voice I surely did pass out.  They sold me a Going to California cover and vinyls from the Southampton gig on 22. Jan. 1973! Maybe you can imagine that I wasn`t sure, if I should throw the record out of the window or jump myself.....................

They sold you the Southampton 1973 show instead of GTC twenty years ago? Ten years seems more likely If you ask me. since that multi-track source  only got into distribution in 2007 (after it was rejected before the HTWWW/DVD campaign). It would take at least 3  lp's to include all the Southampton stuff.

30 minutes ago, duckman said:

They sold you the Southampton 1973 show instead of GTC twenty years ago? Ten years seems more likely If you ask me. since that multi-track source  only got into distribution in 2007 (after it was rejected before the HTWWW/DVD campaign). It would take at least 3  lp's to include all the Southampton stuff.

I think Autumn Moon has the audience recording from Southampton (Gaumont Cinema ?) the day before the University Refectory gig.

6 hours ago, duckman said:

Hi Duckman

Yes, you are perfectly right. I am very sorry, my memory got messed up a little bit. Today I have listened to the vinyl for the first time in twenty years & have identified it as the January 15th Trentham Gardens, Stoke show. Wow, so I was completely off topic even though I was stone cold sober. I have to apologise again, but please believe me, hearing that record again was really hard punishment. Never too old to make an idiot of myself........

On 2/7/2017 at 7:30 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

I love this concert for the amazing sound quality, plus the cool vibe of imagining Zep playing in a small hall, but overall the playing is pretty sloppy, esp. by '73 standards.

Spot on. . 

10 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

Hi Duckman

Yes, you are perfectly right. I am very sorry, my memory got messed up a little bit. Today I have listened to the vinyl for the first time in twenty years & have identified it as the January 15th Trentham Gardens, Stoke show. Wow, so I was completely off topic even though I was stone cold sober. I have to apologise again, but please believe me, hearing that record again was really hard punishment. Never too old to make an idiot of myself........

no problem, IMHO Trentham Gardens is the best UK 73 soundboard (Nice drum sound!) They could have sold you far worse material :wacko:

8 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I don't think there's any recording (aud or SB) of the Gaumont Theatre show.

I stand corrected, could have sworn there was.... memories, they trick you sometimes.

Archived