Definitive Blueberry Hill

Xolo1974

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

Hey Toshiro! This is the info for the project we did. I provided the Rubber Dubber LP rip from my own copy but I don't know about the 1st source origins, just that it was supposedly from a Dub Taylor's tape. According to the guy who headed this remaster , the 1st source tape was a low gen acquired in a trade. ?? Maybe he was mistaken but I highlighted in red the text regarding the source used. 

The 1st tape source came to me in a trade I made with a very close friend of mine many years ago.

I've only traded it out to other people a handfull of times, I really didn't think it was anymore special then the other versions of the 1st tape source until I started hearing other versions/releases of the 1st tape source.

This version I'm sharing with everyone has a much fuller, and brighter sound to it then previous releases.

The biggest advantage this version has over the others though is that it's running at the correct tape speed, older versions ( like GM's "Blueberry Hill") run too slow.

Thanks for posting the info.  Had forgotten who was involved in those remasters. The version you guys did of the 3/17/73 Munich show is the best version I've heard of that show. So good. 

Regarding the Dub tape, what I can hear on the Heavy Vibraphones version is that the usual "faked" crowd noise pasted on the beginning of the Vinyl and Neutral Zone CDs, before Immigrant Song, has a loop of a few more seconds of crowd noise that someone must've cut-and-pasted to make sound longer. The original sample came from Dub pasting it on that tape copy that was put onto the vinyl and Neutral Zone CDs, so it shouldn't exist as a "longer" version via a lowgen or the master. It's from after Heartbreaker. There's also the same repeat note before Since I've Been Loving You on the Vibraphones tape, which matches with the Vinyl/Neutral Zone CDs, and all of the songs are cut in the same places, so no new tape either. So Vibraphones was either an edited and re-arranged copy of the Neutral Zone CDs, or an edited version of one of any number of bootleg releases that also copied the Neutral Zone discs. Speaking of, Last Stand Disc did a good version cloning the Neutral Zone CDs and putting the songs in the right order. That's a good one to get to at least get the song order right in the same sound quality as the original Neutral Zone bootleg.

6 hours ago, pluribus said:

Does the low gen copy of yours have the repeat note at the beginning of Since I've Been Loving You? Does it have all of the same cuts between songs? If so, then it's sourced from the Neutral Zone CDs.  There were lots of bootlegs that came out after the Neutral Zone CDs that put the songs back in the correct order, but they also all kept that same repeat before Since I've Been Loving You and they all had the same cuts between songs as the Neutral Zone CDs.  

Yes, it has a repeat but I am much sceptical about so called 1st gen copy used on that remastred version as I did not see any copies circulated from verified low gens for Dub recording except for a low gen I got, which is similar to NZ source but not identical (except for same patch before Immigrant Song, usual cuts in between the tracks and repeat before SIBLY). If anyone has a real confirmed 1st gen copy of Dub tape, it would be interesting to examine it and compare with my copy of unknown gen.

6 hours ago, pluribus said:

Thanks for posting the info.  Had forgotten who was involved in those remasters. The version you guys did of the 3/17/73 Munich show is the best version I've heard of that show. So good. 

Regarding the Dub tape, what I can hear on the Heavy Vibraphones version is that the usual "faked" crowd noise pasted on the beginning of the Vinyl and Neutral Zone CDs, before Immigrant Song, has a loop of a few more seconds of crowd noise that someone must've cut-and-pasted to make sound longer. The original sample came from Dub pasting it on that tape copy that was put onto the vinyl and Neutral Zone CDs, so it shouldn't exist as a "longer" version via a lowgen or the master. It's from after Heartbreaker. There's also the same repeat note before Since I've Been Loving You on the Vibraphones tape, which matches with the Vinyl/Neutral Zone CDs, and all of the songs are cut in the same places, so no new tape either. So Vibraphones was either an edited and re-arranged copy of the Neutral Zone CDs, or an edited version of one of any number of bootleg releases that also copied the Neutral Zone discs. Speaking of, Last Stand Disc did a good version cloning the Neutral Zone CDs and putting the songs in the right order. That's a good one to get to at least get the song order right in the same sound quality as the original Neutral Zone bootleg.

Thanks, appreciate the kind words.  It may be that he thought was a low gen share but it was simply the Neutral Zone source. Personally, I love the sound of the Cobra boot for this show best. eat A Peach is cool in terms of completeness and editing is pretty good but the vibe of the Cobra release is very lively and raw. Can't remember what source that is and who else used it. I'd have to consult Brannon's site. 

Thanks porgie. I noticed it seemed some people might have been thinking the Blimp /TMOQ and Rubber Dubber vinyl releases were the same source. You saved me the trouble of posting clarification.

In my memory, Rubber Dubber's "Live at the Los Angeles Forum 9-4-70" was the first release of the show...a mere two weeks after the concert, I believe. Matrix # 70-007 A-D. It looked like this...

R-2409193-1282426239.jpeg.jpg

Shortly after that came Blimp Records (on black vinyl) "Live on Blueberry Hill" Matrix # EV 664-666 A-D. Front and back...

R-2734183-1299021669.jpeg.jpg

R-2734183-1393758291-6419.jpeg.jpg

Then came the TMOQ coloured vinyl version.

Porgie, your project sounds immensely appealing. I have never had a cd release of this show that sounded as good as my vinyl boots. Can you pm me with info on how I can get a cd copy of your remastered "Blueberry Hill"?

10 hours ago, zepster1979 said:

Yes, it has a repeat but I am much sceptical about so called 1st gen copy used on that remastred version as I did not see any copies circulated from verified low gens for Dub recording except for a low gen I got, which is similar to NZ source but not identical (except for same patch before Immigrant Song, usual cuts in between the tracks and repeat before SIBLY). If anyone has a real confirmed 1st gen copy of Dub tape, it would be interesting to examine it and compare with my copy of unknown gen.

Yeah, I've never seen/heard of a real lowgen for the Dub/Blimp/TMOQ source, which is why that Empress Valley bootleg was such a surprise, since they obviously got ahold of a copy that only they have access to.  Those Neutral Zone CDs were copied so many times by other bootleg labels that it doesn't surprise me that eventually some tape copies were getting traded as lowgens.  

11 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Thanks, appreciate the kind words.  It may be that he thought was a low gen share but it was simply the Neutral Zone source. Personally, I love the sound of the Cobra boot for this show best. eat A Peach is cool in terms of completeness and editing is pretty good but the vibe of the Cobra release is very lively and raw. Can't remember what source that is and who else used it. I'd have to consult Brannon's site. 

The Cobra source is great too. That's the stereo one with the girl saying "Robert Plant get over here" before Whole Lotta Love or one of the encores I think. 

10 hours ago, Strider said:

Thanks porgie. I noticed it seemed some people might have been thinking the Blimp /TMOQ and Rubber Dubber vinyl releases were the same source. You saved me the trouble of posting clarification.

In my memory, Rubber Dubber's "Live at the Los Angeles Forum 9-4-70" was the first release of the show...a mere two weeks after the concert, I believe. Matrix # 70-007 A-D. It looked like this...

R-2409193-1282426239.jpeg.jpg

Shortly after that came Blimp Records (on black vinyl) "Live on Blueberry Hill" Matrix # EV 664-666 A-D. Front and back...

R-2734183-1299021669.jpeg.jpg

R-2734183-1393758291-6419.jpeg.jpg

Then came the TMOQ coloured vinyl version.

Porgie, your project sounds immensely appealing. I have never had a cd release of this show that sounded as good as my vinyl boots. Can you pm me with info on how I can get a cd copy of your remastered "Blueberry Hill"?

Absolutely. Let me see if it's still up on the trading sites. If you can't access it online then I'll send you folders via Dropbox or wetransfer. They will be lossless WAV files though and will take up space. I have the complete folders with artwork. 

On February 10, 2017 at 7:04 PM, Xolo1974 said:

Well mate, it's friggin good. My difficulty with the other sources, including Eat a Peach, is that you lose either the top end, the low end, the audience etc. This seriously has the best of everything. It's terrific. Transformed this show for me. 

My problem is that I'm too much of a friggin perfectionist. It's to my detriment, because there are unbelievable shows that my ears can't tolerate (e.g 19/09/70). In fact, I don't think it's perfectionism. I think that anything that sounds remotely 'tinny' is torturous for me. Like a cats paws scratching down a blackboard. 

It's really interesting how all of us have different 'bootleg ears'. The audience recordings that are good are better than soundboards e.g Millard, freezer, Copenhagen 79, montreaux...just not that many of them I can tolerate. Shame really. 

Thanks everyone for your comments on the thread and your help. Much appreciated.

Love the packaging job on Eat A Peach.  But the top end on that set is too hot for my ears.  Slumpy's to me is a much warmer recording.  I'm sure there's one or two versions out there I have yet to catch up with, but right now Slumpy's is the best to these old, battered ears.

On February 9, 2017 at 6:15 PM, Strider said:

For vinyl, the original early pressings of Rubber Dubber's "Live at LA Forum" or "Live on Blueberry Hill".

For cd, Eat A Peach's "Live on Blueberry Hill" is now the definitive version.

STAY AWAY FROM THE LIGHTHOUSE RELEASE! In fact, stay away from all Lighthouse cd releases...they suck ass!!! Their 1971 Hampton release is a sick joke.

I agree with EAPs Blueberry Hill being the definitive version of that show. Before that I listened to Winston's " The Great Love Affair" and before that TMOQs take on the show. 

EAP and Graf Zeppelin have been releasing some of the best boots I've heard . The later Godfather titles can also be included in that statement.

Zepster was good enough to explain how these companies are focusing on quality and an authentic sound. 

As I stated in other posts I like to buy as many boots as I can for my collection . I recently purchased Graf's Fractured Ribs, it's a " raw " SBD of Texas 5/18/73. Graf also used the fragment from the 5/16 show to finish off the show since the 5/18/73 encores are not on the SBD.

I LOVE the raw sound and wonder if this is what a bonafide low generation SBD tape sounds like ?

Edit to say I agree Hampton 71 is awful. Hoping that Graf ( or anyone) can do that one some justice. It's a great fragment.

Edited by Jimmywalnutz
Final thought omitted

• 3 weeks later...

EV has just released their newest version.

Live On Blueberry Hill 6 CDs Box Set

CDs 1 & 2 Mono Master EVSD 530 & 531

CDs 3 & 4 Stereo Master EVSD 532 & 533

CDs 5 & 6 The Nobs, Copenhagen 28.Feb 1970- very strange, heaven knows why they add The Nobs as a bonus.

I will keep calm until a reliable source confirms this release as definitive or better than the Eat A Peach release.

!cid_zh2f4ciDFvJ0r6UfNCcu.jpg

On my last trip to the record swap, among the titles I picked up was a "Blueberry Hill" set on the Moonchild label. It wasn't until I got home and l listened to the cds that I noticed in small letters on the packaging the words "Winston Remaster".

Doing a quick A>B listening comparison with EAP's "Blueberry Hill", I must say I like the Winston Remaster slightly better. The sound has a wider spectrum than EAP, which you can really tell listening over the headphones. EAP might have a bit more tape...especially the crowd noise in between the encores and at the end.

5 hours ago, zepster1979 said:

It's because Eat A Peach uses TMoQ source and Winston uses other one (stereo source).

Not exactly. Neither source is complete. You would need to patch in with other sources to fill in the gaps. Especially with the Rubber Dubber source, which only has half the show. So both EAP and Moonchild are a mix of sources, with one source being the primary. Same with EVSD, Cobra, and most other CD releases. Only on the vinyl are you getting a singular source tape.

There are 6 different audience tapes of 9.4.70. If we assign the TMOQ tape "Blueberry Hill" as Source #1, and the Rubber Dubber "Live at the LA Forum 9/4/70" as Source #2, and all the other audience tapes #s 3, 4, 5, and 6, then according to Argentum's Database, the EAP is a mix of #s 1, 3, 5 with 1 being the primary, and the Mooonchild Winston Remaster is a mix of #s 3, 4, 5 with 4 being the primary.

Edited by Strider

Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread, it's really helped me a lot. I've had a good listen now to most of the recommendations. The Eat a Peach title really doesn't do it for me. Gotta say, the Slumpy Matrix is the stand out to my ears. Really enjoy it. Good bottom and top end, as well great atmosphere/ambience. The drums sound fuller, but the guitar in particular has more body. Really evident in particular on Bring it on Home and SIBLY. Thanks again all

• 4 months later...
26 minutes ago, johnlennon696 said:

Sounds like I need to grab the Eat A Peach version. I was goingto ask what's the best as I want to burn a copy off for a first time listening friend.

I'd go with either EAP or Winston, but each will give you different feeling as they're primary sources are different as noted by Strider and others. Personally, I love the old Cobra Standard release. The audio is bright and clear , with a great sense of atmosphere. 

• 3 weeks later...