Some questions about Moby Dick

Tremelo

Hello all!!! I was just wondering what causes those squeaks in the outro/intro of Moby Dick, I think it sounds awesome.

(Not a musician, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.)

Also who is counting up in the version without the drum solo? Jimmy or Bonzo?

Thanks!!!

The counting sounds like Bonham to me.

-----------

The only real problem I can remember encountering was when we were putting the first boxed set together. There was an awfully squeaky bass drum pedal on 'Since I've Been Loving You'. It sounds louder and louder every time I hear it! [laughs]. That was something that was obviously sadly overlooked at the time.

Jimmy Page, from Guitar World magazine, 2003

4 hours ago, Mook said:

What squeaks are you referring to?

I listened to the studio version of Moby Dick religiously for years & am not aware of any significant squeaking.

I am probably not referring to it right. I'll put it down to ignorance. What I am hearing is probably perfectly normal.

1 hour ago, Earl of Court said:

I wonder if the poster is referring to the high-pitched 'pop' noises which come from the guitar. This is almost like a pinch-harmonic sound overlaid on the notes of the riff. It can be copied by playing the riff a little off the fingernail which is holding the pick.

I think you understand what I am referring to. A pop yes, not a squeak. Thanks so much for explaining that. Thought I was going mad there for a second. Would have never guessed how it was done.

22 hours ago, Earl of Court said:

I wonder if the poster is referring to the high-pitched 'pop' noises which come from the guitar. This is almost like a pinch-harmonic sound overlaid on the notes of the riff. It can be copied by playing the riff a little off the fingernail which is holding the pick.

That's interesting. I'd always previously assumed it was a percussion instrument of some kind, overlaid on the track. It is quite noticeable.

Archived