The Music Industry

Clinton P. Desveaux

I really do miss HMV in Wigan. They shut them all around me in the North-West. (apart from Manchester). Now they have opened them back up. (Apart from Wigan and Bolton). Them 2 are where i would want them back the most. Now when i visit the Manchester store, I am like a kid in a sweet shop. My main 2 places now are cex and x-records in Bolton. I miss a few things from the old days.

The problem with downloads are a few actually - you don't get to "own" the music anymore - if you can't find a wifi signal (because you are on the road) you have to pay data charges to listen to music which you 'own'. You have to pay some cloud service like the Apple Cloud to store your music that you think you 'own'. There is a number of issues around the download idea that have not been fully thought through from my perspective or perhaps they have been and the answers are ones which might not make all music purchasers happy.

I try not to resort to digital downloads, unless I'm incredibly desperate to own an extremely hard to find album, in some legal form.

I despise digital downloads. I cherish the physical form of the album. I love admiring the album artwork, reading and soaking in the liner notes while listening to the album from start to finish.

The artwork and the liner notes also constitute part of the listening experience, IMO. 

1 hour ago, craigled said:

Cds, Magazines and newspapers are items i must have. I could save myself a lot of money. But i am happy when i get the said things. I always say, I do not waste money on drugs, cigs and i do not drink alcohol either.

They will have to pry my albums, cds, books, newspapers and magazines from my cold, dead, hands.

Archived