Moonchild - Winston remasters new label?

porgie66

Moonchild (?)  Any info on who these people are? An off-shoot of another label perhaps?  They are simply taking Winston's Remasters ( which he always has said he wishes not to be sold) and pressing silver discs with artwork. I guess it's sort of a gesture that they are acknowledging him but I think they're trying to capitalize on his name and reputation for creating excellent quality fan remasters. 

Edited by porgie66

38 minutes ago, zepster1979 said:

It's likely a spin off label from Lighthouse team. Do not buy these crap! They just copied Winston's work and adds some shotty looking artwork, that's all. And its price $10 .... it tells everything.

Agreed. But it's $10 from a certain seller. eBay sellers are asking $30 and up. What a fucking joke. 

10 bucks to have a copy of a Winston in a format that can't be deleted  or erased is ok with me.

MP3 is not the end all.    I'd pay 50 bucks for a Winston vinyl.

Hell, I paid 15 bucks for a Katy Perry cd for my daughter.  Hmmm.  LTE or Roar.

6 minutes ago, No Quota said:

10 bucks to have a copy of a Winston in a format that can't be deleted  or erased is ok with me.

Hahaha...you win the internet for today. Hell yes, I'd pay $50 for a "Winston-Listen to this, Eddie" vinyl.

5 hours ago, No Quota said:

Well, I'm not talking about mp3. Lossless files ripped to a cdr that you can blast on your stereo is one way to economically enjoy Winston's work for very little cost or time. $10 is fine I guess for the disc and artwork but it is disrespectful to WRs wishes that his work not be sold for profit. 

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 7:10 PM, porgie66 said:

Well, I'm not talking about mp3. Lossless files ripped to a cdr that you can blast on your stereo is one way to economically enjoy Winston's work for very little cost or time. $10 is fine I guess for the disc and artwork but it is disrespectful to WRs wishes that his work not be sold for profit.

True. But...

Like the band and their wishes of not having their music bootlegged, I'm sure Winston and every other bootlegger has their own wishes too.

It all comes down to the consumer.

If Page and Winston were worried about losing money because of me listening to some old concerts, I'm sure they would sell some recordings anonymously, or start their own label to cash in. Cough.

They won't or can't, or they have, and we will probably never know.

People who are fans will give up cash for something they truly love. If Page doesn't like it, release some nuggets, if Winnie is opposed, start a "Silver Rails" company. Either way, people pay.

• 2 months later...

Are we 100% sure that Winston didn't make a deal with these Moonchild folks to be the official silver disc distributor of his remasters?

I have three of these Moonchild Winston releases...Blueberry Hill, Osaka 9/29, and For Badgeholders Only. The Blueberry Hill is an improvement to my ears over most other versions I have heard. I haven't had a chance to listen to the Osaka yet.

The Badgeholders is way better than any EVSD release and better than the Scorpio version. But I can't say it's better than the Dragonfly vinyl. Plus, it has a lot...and I mean A LOT...of switches and splicing between sources. Some for only a nanosecond, which is distracting after awhile, and one wonders was all that switching really necessary?

7 hours ago, duckman said:

I heard the Arigato Osaka 1971 set is also quite good.

Yes, indeed- it is taken from Vinyl sources, all speed corrected, the transitions are smooth. A very enjoyable remaster. But I think the Winston Remaster is only the second best solution to my ears. "Live in Japan 929" by Wendy with its wonderful clarity and impressing dynamics is second to none.

On 5/11/2017 at 1:42 AM, Strider said:

The Badgeholders is way better than any EVSD release and better than the Scorpio version. But I can't say it's better than the Dragonfly vinyl. Plus, it has a lot...and I mean A LOT...of switches and splicing between sources. Some for only a nanosecond, which is distracting after awhile, and one wonders was all that switching really necessary?

I recently bought Moonchilds BH and LTTE and they sound great. . Im not a big fan of Badgeholders so I dont listen to it that often and I believe my source is not Winston. . but wasnt this show chopped up in parts?. . I seem to recall that it had source changes everywhere. . Was Winstons original remaster of Badgeholers a pretty decent show w/out a lot of cuts? 

I just saw these on eBay. I know you can find almost any show online these days but there's always something sweet about having a nice physical copy with artwork etc. If anyone wants to point me in the direction of the $10 ones I'd be much obliged. Also, is there anyway I can change my username? I haven't been on here in awhile and would like something more Zep.

Been looking at some of the Moonchild offers and whilst they are typically $15, shipping is also $15 (from Japan I think), so they work out at $30 a pop. May just been the particular offers I looked at though.

12 hours ago, Jukkin said:

Been looking at some of the Moonchild offers and whilst they are typically $15, shipping is also $15 (from Japan I think), so they work out at $30 a pop. May just been the particular offers I looked at though.

I bought from the same guy. . starts with "oya". . I messaged him about buying 2 and the shipping and total cost was $46. . 2 of the greatest shows at $23 per. . not a bad deal I must say it was worth it:)

On 5/11/2017 at 3:42 AM, Strider said:

Are we 100% sure that Winston didn't make a deal with these Moonchild folks to be the official silver disc distributor of his remasters?

100% Absolutely Not. WR is and always will be a FREE alternative to Bootlegs. 

These Dumb ass Moonchild are now putting out shows I never did .. Copenhagen 79. Never did it. So buyer beware. 

1 hour ago, ZepPhan-WR said:

These Dumb ass Moonchild are now putting out shows I never did .. Copenhagen 79. Never did it. So buyer beware. 

LOL...incredible. 

3 hours ago, ZepPhan-WR said:

Thanks for the heads-up. I got three of the Moonchild supposed "Winston Remasters": Blueberry Hill ($5), Arigato Osaka ($10), and Badgeholders Only ($10). There were some others on the table I considered getting..Mobile Alabama 1973 and Ft. Worth 1973. But I didn't see a 1979 Copenhagen.

Of course the main purpose of my visit to the swap meet was to get the new 3.21.75 Seattle soundboard, but none of the vendors had it yet.

I'm waiting for flacs to show up on online to confirm whether or not the Copenhagen 79 releases are actually my remasters since Winston never put out anything of those shows

Edited by Sue Dounim

Why isn't there a "best known version" boot site that a few of the more "in the know" people on this forum could contribute to and/or manage?

The Long Live Led Zeppelin blog kind of deal. There is everything there, but a lot of it is mp3 and not best available. Not that I am complaining, that site changed my life (being a noob to boots and then given that great treasure trove).

It surprises me there isn't a single spot that has the one (or more where applicable) BEST version of every particular show, with notes. Something that could be managed and only updated by a few people who know what the best is (and how to source it).

Possibly this exists somewhere, but is strictly low key and invite only. Maybe, maybe not, but I think there definitely should be something like that.

We are all pretty hardcore fans that have AT LEAST one of everything official after all.

2 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Why isn't there a "best known version" boot site that a few of the more "in the know" people on this forum could contribute to and/or manage?

The Long Live Led Zeppelin blog kind of deal. There is everything there, but a lot of it is mp3 and not best available. Not that I am complaining, that site changed my life (being a noob to boots and then given that great treasure trove).

It surprises me there isn't a single spot that has the one (or more where applicable) BEST version of every particular show, with notes. Something that could be managed and only updated by a few people who know what the best is (and how to source it).

Possibly this exists somewhere, but is strictly low key and invite only. Maybe, maybe not, but I think there definitely should be something like that.

We are all pretty hardcore fans that have AT LEAST one of everything official after all.

Because that's a highly subjective matter. Some diehards prefer a needle drop copy from top notch vinyl sources like Japan 1971 or Badgeholders others prefer tape. For the legendary Blueberry Hill boot, some people prefer the dry mono source (previously issued by Akashic or Eat a Peach), whereas others prefer the more lively Cobla stereo source mix.

The only consensus is that all collectors hate over-tweaking, silly noise reduction, etc...

On 2/13/2017 at 5:10 PM, porgie66 said:

20 hours ago, ZepPhan-WR said:

Knowing the Zeppelin/bootleg communities as you do, Andy, surely you knew that it was inevitable at some point that some asshole was gonna start making money off yer work, though, right? Hell, i'm surprised it's actually taken so long, given that your versions of the L.A. '77 shows are pretty much the definitive versions. Christ, it's only taken them, what, ten years?

At least these Moonchild guys aren't pulling the same crap "labels" like Beelzebub or TCOLZ (remember them? :lol: ) did by claiming they didn't get their recordings from the internet...

5 hours ago, Sue Dounim said:

I'm waiting for flacs to show up on online to confirm whether or not the Copenhagen 79 releases are actually my remasters since Winston never put out anything of those shows

It'll happen, Sue, bank on it. I'm nowhere near as prodigious a remasterer as yerself or Andy Winston, but I'm damned sure that my Tempe '77 remaster has been booted, as the Pride Of Chelsea bootleg. The alternate New York '77 recordings I patched and cleaned up and shared or even that third source of the Birmingham '77 show I did a few years ago, not so much...difference is I actually made the Tempe recording listenable, for lack of a better term :lol: With that Birmingham recording -and I remember saying it at the time- they could paste "NOT FOR SALE!" all over the thing (even titling the project that) until yer blue in the face and if some motherfucker was gonna download it and then sell it if they felt so inclined, they were gonna download it and sell it. Rule number one: once it's out there, it's out there, people are going to do whatever they want with the recording no matter what the principals involved say.

15 hours ago, Sue Dounim said:

I'll be sure to let you know if I see any "Sue Dounim Remasters" at the record swap meet. ;)

12 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

Andy, surely you knew that it was inevitable at some point that some asshole was gonna start making money off yer work, though, right?

Oh yeah.. I know .. I have no rights to any of it.. At least when Tarantura 2000 was doing the same thing they kept my name off it. 

I posted on some Moonchild threads on Dime my wish that they keep my name off their releases... Hoping whomever is behind Moonchild would see it. That sure worked well :rolleyes:

Sue already has a neat name..  Pseudonym Remaster .. I Highly recommend them.

Edited by ZepPhan-WR

5 hours ago, ZepPhan-WR said:

Sue already has a neat name..  Pseudonym Remaster .. I Highly recommend them.

Pardon me while I go get this framed and hung on my wall. Your body of work was what originally inspired me to learn how to use sound editing programs and to remaster music. I can remember back in 2013 thinking to myself when I worked on concerts "if I can get it to sound as good as a Winston Remaster then I'll be happy with it!" No joke, in that regard, you're a personal hero of mine. So, long story short, thanks for the compliment!

Edited by Sue Dounim

I've never bought a bootleg cd or anything on vinyl. When you buy the digital versions, do they come on a cd in MP3 format? Or are they FLAC files on a data disc? And what's the difference between 'silvers' and 'non silvers'? I'm curious. I'm hoping to have a man-cave finished in a year or two and I'm gonna get my dads old turntable out of his loft. I may start getting some vinyl and digital boots. Preferably vinyl

Cheers