Moonchild - Winston remasters new label?

porgie66

8 hours ago, ZepPhan-WR said:

I posted on some Moonchild threads on Dime my wish that they keep my name off their releases... Hoping whomever is behind Moonchild would see it. That sure worked well :rolleyes:

You must have yer suspicions as to who's behind that label, I'd imagine...

3 hours ago, Sue Dounim said:

Pardon me while I go get this framed and hung on my wall. Your body of work was what originally inspired me to learn how to use sound editing programs and to remaster music. I can remember back in 2013 thinking to myself when I worked on concerts "if I can get it to sound as good as a Winston Remaster then I'll be happy with it!" No joke, in that regard, you're a personal hero of mine. So, long story short, thanks for the compliment!

Congrats, Sue- you just got one hell of an endorsement!

2 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

I've never bought a bootleg cd or anything on vinyl. When you buy the digital versions, do they come on a cd in MP3 format? Or are they FLAC files on a data disc? And what's the difference between 'silvers' and 'non silvers'? I'm curious. I'm hoping to have a man-cave finished in a year or two and I'm gonna get my dads old turntable out of his loft. I may start getting some vinyl and digital boots. Preferably vinyl

Cheers

^These kinds of questions are what keeps me from thinking about starting a physical format boots hobby. While collecting and playing silvers and vinyl would be a lot of fun, I wouldn't know where to start, and it's not cheap. Too many unknowns and potential to buy crap that is advertised as good boots.

For now my digital collection will suffice until I win the big one, then it's game on!

On 5/11/2017 at 1:42 AM, Strider said:

The Badgeholders is way better than any EVSD release and better than the Scorpio version

Strider Ive been reluctant to buy Scorpio recordings because I see them rarely and dont know much about them. . Do they put out a quality product?

On 17-5-2017 at 6:09 AM, Bozoso73 said:

Strider Ive been reluctant to buy Scorpio recordings because I see them rarely and dont know much about them. . Do they put out a quality product?

For the record there are three Scorpio labels. The first and most important label was (I believe) American and they were responsible for top notch releases in the early nineties like Studio Daze, Olympic Gold, Jennings Farm Blues, Seattle Supersonic and A Secret History. The 'Millennium' Scorpio, Strider is referring to, is Japan based and they released pretty good material. The infamous Scorpio label with the bad name is a copy cat label from Europe. They mainly focus on re-issues of soundboard material from Empress Valley and they are instantly recognizable by their hideous artwork. 

Edited by duckman

Sampled Winston's Listen To This Eddie version... Impressive with a three dimensional quality to it with excellent balance and separation. You feel like you are there with the band dead center in the mix. I haven't listened to New Orleans 1973 (The Drag Queen) in a long time. Seamless integration of the audience tape with the soundboard. Overall clean sounding though the board mix sounds thin and a bit garbled.

On 5/16/2017 at 9:09 PM, Bozoso73 said:

Sorry Bozoso73, I have been on a road trip for the past week with unreliable wifi and pretty much away from this forum. But as you can see, duckman answered even better than I could have.

On 5/18/2017 at 2:32 AM, duckman said:

For the record there are three Scorpio labels. The first and most important label was (I believe) American and they were responsible for top notch releases in the early nineties like Studio Daze, Olympic Gold, Jennings Farm Blues, Seattle Supersonic and A Secret History. The 'Millennium' Scorpio, Strider is referring to, is Japan based and they released pretty good material. The infamous Scorpio label with the bad name is a copy cat label from Europe. They mainly focus on re-issues of soundboard material from Empress Valley and they are instantly recognizable by their hideous artwork. 

Good job, duckman. I knew there were two Scorpios but had no idea about a third more recent one doing EVSD knockoffs. I'll be wary of those if I see them at the swaps.

4 hours ago, Strider said:

Sorry Bozoso73, I have been on a road trip for the past week with unreliable wifi and pretty much away from this forum. But as you can see, duckman answered even better than I could have.

Good job, duckman. I knew there were two Scorpios but had no idea about a third more recent one doing EVSD knockoffs. I'll be wary of those if I see them at the swaps.

Thanks guys. . What are the live labels you trust the most??

9 minutes ago, Bozoso73 said:

'Eat a Peach' is doing a nice job, I think. I have mixed feelings about the Moonchild label. They are cashing in on Winstons remastering talents...but on the other hand at ten bucks a piece, I could not resist ordering Badgeholders (excellent), Get Back to L.A 2 (excellent) and Blueberry Hill (very good). The Copenhagen 79 warmups also look very tempting. For the rest I must say I'd rather wait for Brannon (BootledZ) to review/compare them. Graf Zeppelin, Empress, Scorpio Japan,...sometimes they release pure gold, but often it's garbage. 

19 hours ago, duckman said:

'Eat a Peach' is doing a nice job, I think. I have mixed feelings about the Moonchild label. They are cashing in on Winstons remastering talents...but on the other hand at ten bucks a piece, I could not resist ordering Badgeholders (excellent), Get Back to L.A 2 (excellent) and Blueberry Hill (very good). The Copenhagen 79 warmups also look very tempting. For the rest I must say I'd rather wait for Brannon (BootledZ) to review/compare them. Graf Zeppelin, Empress, Scorpio Japan,...sometimes they release pure gold, but often it's garbage. 

Thanks for getting back Duckman:) It is not easy to find a EAT A PEACH anywhere. . never on ebay. . The moons are good . . I have BH and LTTE and just received "ACME"3/11/75(Moon) Im putting on here in a bit. . Im with you on the WR thing but the price is right and its helping my silvers collection. . These jokers with the Tarantura and EVSD prices are out of their fkn minds at $100+. . I dont see a lot of Scorpio or Graf at all. . Wendy's come around a bit but the price is usually too high. . I do see old LP boots and I feel sorry for the guys/gals who bought in the 80/90's because it seems you didnt really ever know what you were getting. . What about Boleskine Music?? And the Badgeholders. . did Winston give it some balls? It seems to lack any bottom end (could be my copy)

Edited by Bozoso73

Listened to the first disc of Badgeholders.... In comparison to Eddie, the sound is more expansive and extending out across the speakers. Both are clean. Excellent overall. For new collectors or those on a tight budget, the Moonchilds are good bang for the buck. At least they use the appropriate year pics for their artwork.

On another note, I picked up The Rolling Stones "KBFH" title. Superb stereo...best release of the 1973 FM broadcast I have on other discs.

On 5/24/2017 at 10:48 PM, Bozoso73 said:

Haha. As they are bootleg labels, I don't trust any of them. I haven't since one of my first bootlegs was an album labeled as being recorded at the LA Forum in 1971 but was actually Berkeley '71...the infamous "Going to California" boot.

But I will say that overall, Godfatherecords has given me the highest rate of satisfaction, especially when we factor in the cost/pleasure ratio.

Next would be Eat-a-Peach!

The Genuine Masters DVD-A releases are also high on the satisfaction guaranteed scale.

The above labels all get an A grade from me.

In the B- to B grade level are Wendy, Badgeholders, and the original TMOQ label of the 1970s.

Next comes EVSD and Scorpio.

Boogie Mama, Red Devil, eelgrass, Beezlebub, Power Chord, Totonka, TDOLZ, Tarantura, and other labels are either too substandard to rate or I don't have enough of their titles to objectively rate them. 

Edited by Strider

Just about every Winston is worth having. I have almost all of them that have been shared freely. Even the older ones. And I think he made a matrix or two, which are the only matrixes in my collection. I think its Seattle '73 from the early 2000's that turned out being really good. 9/29/71 Winston Remaster is the SHIT, must have.

Edited by Dirty Work

Arigatou Osaka...very natural sounding. The fills of the second source in the gaps is very well done. Not as jarring transitions like in Empress Valley's You Were There In Spirits. The latter though is a bit more upfront and brighter. Winston's Remaster is easier on the ears.

Edited by gcczep

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2017 at 2:04 AM, Bozoso73 said:

Thanks for getting back Duckman:) It is not easy to find a EAT A PEACH anywhere. . never on ebay. . The moons are good . . I have BH and LTTE and just received "ACME"3/11/75(Moon) Im putting on here in a bit. . Im with you on the WR thing but the price is right and its helping my silvers collection. . These jokers with the Tarantura and EVSD prices are out of their fkn minds at $100+. . I dont see a lot of Scorpio or Graf at all. . Wendy's come around a bit but the price is usually too high. . I do see old LP boots and I feel sorry for the guys/gals who bought in the 80/90's because it seems you didnt really ever know what you were getting. . What about Boleskine Music?? And the Badgeholders. . did Winston give it some balls? It seems to lack any bottom end (could be my copy)

Did a little research for you: https://www.cdandlp.com/en/search/?q=Led+Zeppelin+-+eat+a+peach has 5 out of 6 for sale (except "Blueberry Hill") which is very hard to find these days. Another site offering "Eat A Peach" is https://www.discjapan.com

Maybe you can try your luck with http://www.argenteumastrum.com sometimes he sells "Eat A Peach"

I bought my "Moonchild" cd's from AirRaid ($ 11.- each). I bought 5 copies and had to pay $ 23.- p&p so in the end a total of $ 78.- making it $ 15.60 each.

Try https://www.discjapan.com for a lot of labels...

Feck it. Moonchild sets now seem to be going from $35 to $50 now plus shipping!! I'm sticking with Winston releases and if I feel like burning discs I can. Moonchild should not be indulged they should be shunned for ripping off Andy so fecking blatently.

1 hour ago, Jukkin said:

Feck it. Moonchild sets now seem to be going from $35 to $50 now plus shipping!! I'm sticking with Winston releases and if I feel like burning discs I can. Moonchild should not be indulged they should be shunned for ripping off Andy so fecking blatently.

AirRaid sells EVERY Moonchild cd for just $ 11.- Even some EVSD’s, no LZ, just U2 for $ 11.-

16 hours ago, Jukkin said:

See the site OK but there's no pricing or order links.

just below the Air Raid website banner of you'll find a shortcut stating

now available (Empress Valley Moonchild)

Edited by duckman

• 10 months later...

This is my first post, so be kind. Hahaha. 

As someone who is new to collecting Zeppelin bootlegs, I am grateful for labels like Moonchild. I am one of those guys who likes having physical copies of my music and considering how expensive releases from labels like Empress Valley tend to be, I'm happy to be able to afford physical copies of the music. 

Now if I could only snag some of those ten buck copies of the sets... 

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up Tokyo 9/23-24/71, Osaka 9/29/71 (soundboard), Seattle 3/17 & 21/75 (soundboards)... Another interesting bit is The Song Remains The Same 2 DVD set that is noted to be a Fan Edition. Taking into account the EMS charge...comes out to roughly over $15 a set. Not shabby.

Oh and got a freebie of that Rolling Stones 1 CD of studio outtakes 1970-1974.