Is Jimmy Page done making music?

On 02/16/2017 at 2:46 AM, Dane1968 said:

Oh my fn god. Of course he is done. Put yourself in Jimmy's shoes... there are no more great songs to write as they have been done over and over...

You are a selfish prick really for asking. He is in realty an old man. An old man, by societies definition.

I was a bit harsh here. There was no fault in asking, and that wasn't the answer it deserved, so I retract my comments. I was wrong.

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2017 at 0:47 AM, Cecil. said:

I read a interview where someone asked, why he had not made a second solo album, when his ex-bandmates seem to still  be making and releasing new music.

Jimmy became rather snippy and defensive, so if you meet Jimmy, best not to ask when you expect "new music" to appear.!

He did. It was called Coverdale Page.  

On 2/14/2017 at 4:55 AM, Black_dog_boogie said:

It seems every year we hear news that Jimmy is going to release some music and get back on the road and tour. Nothing.

I am beginning to think he is done, playing and just concentrating on Zeppelin reissues.....enough already. I've been a Zeppelin fan since my teens and now I am 45, I missed the Zeppelin touring days, but would love to see a Jimmy Page concert.

He's 73, rich and done.  He looked like crap by the end of the 02 gig and that was 10 years ago.  I seriously don't think he could play a 2 hour show unless seated.

4 hours ago, Box of Jimmy's said:

He's 73, rich and done.  He looked like crap by the end of the 02 gig and that was 10 years ago.  I seriously don't think he could play a 2 hour show unless seated.

This phrase to define his current period is tiresome. This isn't necessary to say anymore it is well-known among fans for this to be the case. Frankly it is insulting to say this about the greatest showman of all time.

However we are only all confused as we are being led on by him

His last new material released was WIC in 1998.

That's almost 20 years ago.

The chance of any new material coming out is very slim.

It's a shame.

A man with such talent who for the last two decades has released nothing new.

The recent non-performance at the Japan Classic Rock awards signalled that he could be done playing live as well.

I like to think he still sits around a roaring fire and plays lovely acoustic ballads for his young girlfriend.

She's probably the only person that gets to enjoy his playing these days.

Lucky lady.

I think what is most frustrating is that we know through various clues and hints that he has written and even worked on a lot of material. Who knows what form or shape it is in but he has created something.

Even if he is too old and frail to tour why not release it? I won't complain and I think most of his fans wouldn't either. 

I would treat any clues or hints about new material or recordings with extreme suspicion. he doesn't have a good track record over the last 14 years for telling the truth. as much as I like his work and I'd  prefer to not have to say this, but my opinion of him these days is that he changed from being a master guitar player to a master bullshitter a very long time ago

selling autographed items seems to be his only output

4 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

the greatest showman of all time.

Jimmy Page? He had some great years but he's nowhere near being the greatest showman of all time. We could argue over who that is (at least five others come immediately to mind) but there's little point.

2 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Jimmy Page? He had some great years but he's nowhere near being the greatest showman of all time. We could argue over who that is (at least five others come immediately to mind) but there's little point.

This does it for me. Being on stage and being the supreme being in the building came too naturally to him, his energy on stage is scary.

I would have loved to see Page perform with Freddie Mercury in the mid-70's. Just imagine those two in their prime on stage together. A person would go all lizard eye trying to figure out which one to watch.

2 hours ago, bluecongo said:

I think what is most frustrating is that we know through various clues and hints that he has written and even worked on a lot of material. Who knows what form or shape it is in but he has created something.

Even if he is too old and frail to tour why not release it? I won't complain and I think most of his fans wouldn't either. 

hate to say it, but I'm not so sure there is a lot of new material. It Might Get Loud showed the two "Embryos", but other than that? Can I say perhaps we are letting ourselves be blinded here: i.e. as fans it would pain us to imagine (certainly pains me) that someone who once upon a time had these fantastic riffs pouring out of him, might not be so creatively fertile now.

39 minutes ago, IpMan said:

I would have loved to see Page perform with Freddie Mercury in the mid-70's. Just imagine those two in their prime on stage together. A person would go all lizard eye trying to figure out which one to watch.

Didn't Peter Grant have an offer to manage Queen circa 1974? Just imagine Zep at Earls Court being supported by Bohemian Rhapsody-era Queen. It would have done the job of demolition years before the building finally came down.

1 hour ago, 76229 said:

I'm not so sure there is a lot of new material. It Might Get Loud showed the two "Embryos", but other than that?

Mountains of new material.  I did not see him gassed at the end of the O2.  His moment at the mic prior to R&R was solid and his play during the song was slick and nuanced.

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

greatest showman of all time.

At the risk of getting the ban stick... Liberace is likely my #1 for showmanship. Elvis and Johnny Cash had it as does Neil Diamond. As far as rock stars... ya pointless.

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

You can bet he'll bring it up again the next time he has promotional duties to fulfill.

100% 100% 100% :beat:

will he perform, 100%. Knowing that you are the biggest star in the room- in any room you enter has to be an allure you cannot resist.

SRTS-O2.jpg

14 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

This phrase to define his current period is tiresome. This isn't necessary to say anymore it is well-known among fans for this to be the case. Frankly it is insulting to say this about the greatest showman of all time.

However we are only all confused as we are being led on by him

I didn't take it as him being insulting to Jimmy. I personally wasn't impressed with his playing at the 02 and they rehearsed for months which I didn't think they used to do. I know it was a while since they played but I guess I was surprised it took that much time. His playing is not the same by a long shot. That's okay - I don't have any expectations of him but I wish he'd stop making empty promises. 

1 hour ago, tenyearsgone21 said:

I didn't take it as him being insulting to Jimmy. I personally wasn't impressed with his playing at the 02 and they rehearsed for months which I didn't think they used to do. I know it was a while since they played but I guess I was surprised it took that much time. His playing is not the same by a long shot. That's okay - I don't have any expectations of him but I wish he'd stop making empty promises. 

Have you watched the rehearsal footage? Page played much more "Pagelike" during the rehearsals. He was loser and more ambitious in his playing. He played the solos both longer and more complex & nuanced then he did during the live show. It seemed obvious to me when I first saw the live show Page was holding back, playing it safe likely due to nerves. When I saw the rehearsal footage the obvious became fact. Jimmy had the chops all right, he just decided to be overly cautious with most of his playing that night which is a shame. Good case in point, he nails the hell out of TSRTS in rehearsals but played it very conservatively during the show. Same with Stairway...I still have no idea why he played such a truncated solo in Stairway that night when he obviously could have played even the studio version with no problem.

They played as Led Zeppelin that night... demand unprecedented, the show superb.

44 minutes ago, IpMan said:

decided to be overly cautious with most of his playing that night which is a shame.

It's only 5 years since Led Zeppelin had a cinematic release [was fantastic Celebration Day in theaters]
and released a Blu-ray of a concert performance
and a double live CD
and a companion disc of a rehearsal. 

Not that many bands have been this productive in the given time frame.

...all this on top of jeers that "it will never happen" and endless analysis and unflattering critique.

Jones, Page, Plant and a Bonham played as Led Zeppelin. Think about that.

rp.jpg

11 hours ago, Dallas Knebs said:

Knowing that you are the biggest star in the room- in any room you enter has to be an allure you cannot resist.

Well, if HE still believes that... :slapface:

We could quibble over this as well...but there's little point. 

7 hours ago, Dallas Knebs said:

They played as Led Zeppelin that night... demand unprecedented, the show superb.

It's only 5 years since Led Zeppelin had a cinematic release [was fantastic Celebration Day in theaters]
and released a Blu-ray of a concert performance
and a double live CD
and a companion disc of a rehearsal. 

Not that many bands have been this unproductive in the given time frame.

...all this on top of jeers that "it will never happen" and endless analysis and unflattering critique.

Jones, Page, Plant and a Bonham played as Led Zeppelin. Think about that.

rp.jpg

FIFY

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Well, if HE still believes that... :slapface:

truth.

it has to be sobering to walk through King's Cross, Covent Garden and Chiswick High and not get mobbed... the persona has to shriek and neeeed to try to bring it back- exhibition is your habit?  Can't tell if it's the persona smiling or if it is him.

1 hour ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Time is moving on and as the generations grow up Jimmy Page is becoming less and less a household name

I have pointed out before that essentially no one under 30 has ever seen Jimmy Page deliver a concert length performance

Archived