Is Jimmy Page done making music?

23 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Time is moving on and as the generations grow up Jimmy Page is becoming less and less a household name

Sorry, but that is complete nonsense.  The Spirit of Zeppelin will always live on with each new generation of kids.  Always has and always will.  

Saw this on the Led Zeppelin news twitter round-up.

Don't shoot the messenger:

• Also at the poetry reading on April 27 in New York, Page apparently told one attendee that he has been "rehearsing" and "working on some things."

Err, okay...

8 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

• Also at the poetry reading on April 27 in New York, Page apparently told one attendee that he has been "rehearsing" and "working on some things."

Err, okay...

Yeah, saw that too. Apparently being the key word not to mention of course he's gonna say that to a fan. And in other news..

On 4/28/2017 at 11:29 AM, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Time is moving on and as the generations grow up Jimmy Page is becoming less and less a household name

Yet young music fans I know hold Zeppelin, and Jimmy, in much higher esteem than they do people like Clapton, Beck, etc.  

On 5/1/2017 at 10:13 PM, Boleskinner said:

Err, okay...

Yawn. Another goddamn poetry reading. He's become as useless as tits on a hog.

1 hour ago, mstork said:

Yet young music fans I know hold Zeppelin, and Jimmy, in much higher esteem than they do people like Clapton, Beck, etc.  

How young? I have no doubt if asked 100 teens if they knew any of the three at least 80 would say no. Come to think of it, this would make for a cool social experiment on You Tube. I'm sure the teens in New York and London would have a clue, not so much elsewhere.  

11 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

How young? I have no doubt if asked 100 teens if they knew any of the three at least 80 would say no. Come to think of it, this would make for a cool social experiment on You Tube. I'm sure the teens in New York and London would have a clue, not so much elsewhere.  

80 is very modest. I am in the younger generation and you'd be lucky to find 3 that knew Jimmy. 

10 of them would refer to Led Zeppelin as a "he" and that says all you need to know.

18 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

10 of them would refer to Led Zeppelin as a "he" and that says all you need to know.

... still cannot walk into a guitar shop or music store without hearing some kid put STH thru a grinder

On 5/2/2017 at 3:38 PM, SteveAJones said:

Yawn... become as useless as tits on a hog.

tisk... from wanking dog to tits on a hog- welcome to Paris

On 5/1/2017 at 6:13 AM, Boleskinner said:

Err, okay...

Wow....this is almost as good as his "I'm on the touchlines" quote

2 hours ago, Box of Jimmy's said:

Wow....this is almost as good as his "I'm on the touchlines" quote

Well, if the quote's accurate, the term "rehearsing" is generally used when other musicians are involved, so more than just touchlines, limbering-up, etc.

But I take everything Jimmy says, with regard to performing, with a giant heap of Siberian salt.

1 hour ago, Boleskinner said:

Well, if the quote's accurate, the term "rehearsing" is generally used when other musicians are involved, so more than just touchlines, limbering-up, etc.

But I take everything Jimmy says, with regard to performing, with a giant heap of Siberian salt.

Maybe Jimmy's just been rehearsing it in his mind....

I'm still disappointed that Mr. Page did not go for more Zeppelin based material for the 1983 ARMS  Tour. EVERYONE else did their greatest "hits" for the charity event. But not Jimmy Page.... The public would have been much much more receptive to Page jamming on more than just STH, but also on TSRTS, HB, D&C, etc, than on the ever-so-bland Death Wish material.  The odd man out on that one, for sure!!

6 hours ago, The Rover said:

I'm still disappointed that Mr. Page did not go for more Zeppelin based material for the 1983 ARMS  Tour. EVERYONE else did their greatest "hits" for the charity event. But not Jimmy Page.... The public would have been much much more receptive to Page jamming on more than just STH, but also on TSRTS, HB, D&C, etc, than on the ever-so-bland Death Wish material.  The odd man out on that one, for sure!!

I don't think the public could have possibly been any more receptive than they were, even with the emphasis on Death Wish material.  Pete Townsend was in the Garden and said when Jimmy walked onstage the place was actually bouncing, he was blown away by it.  I think Jimmy could have played Mary Had A Little Lamb and gotten the same reception at that point!

7 hours ago, The Rover said:

DW is some of the best stuff he's done outside Zep and playing Chopin, with a full church organ at RAH, is hardly the definition of bland.

The worst thing I could imagine would have been him playing sub-standard versions of Zep classics.

STH in the ARMS gigs was the low point of the entire set.

He was trying to break new ground.

23 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

DW is some of the best stuff he's done outside Zep and playing Chopin, with a full church organ at RAH, is hardly the definition of bland.

The worst thing I could imagine would have been him playing sub-standard versions of Zep classics.

If the Death Wish (and Lucifer Rising) soundtrack was anyone other than Page it by now would have disappeared into a black hole never to be heard again. I know because I have it ( the black box thing) it's garbage imho..

11 hours ago, mstork said:

I don't think the public could have possibly been any more receptive than they were, even with the emphasis on Death Wish material.  Pete Townsend was in the Garden and said when Jimmy walked onstage the place was actually bouncing, he was blown away by it.  I think Jimmy could have played Mary Had A Little Lamb and gotten the same reception at that point!

So, you don't deliver what you should at the Garden, just whatever gets everyone bouncing. Yeah, that sounds real professional. BTY, Pete Oppel, the dullard who reviewed Dallas music at the time,  said in his review of the first night at reunion Arena, "that by the end of his set, that the audience was going crazy for Jeff Beck, then JP came on." What that Rolling Stones fanboy didn't know, was that, toward the end of Jeff's set, they showed an image on the big screen, above the stage, of Jimmy with his guitar getting ready to come onstage, and that's when the audience went bonkers. The waves of energy rushing toward the front of the stage was palpable at that point. I know, as I was sitting 2nd row center in the center section for that show. (I personally think they later added what was the entire "front row" for a group of young leather jacketed goombahs from NY that paid who knows how much for that privilege. But I digress.)

10 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Death Wish is some of the best stuff he's done outside Zep and playing Chopin, with a full church organ at RAH, is hardly the definition of bland.

The purpose of a charity gig is not to break that kind of new ground. You give the fans what they want. The cream of the crop as they say, for charity. BTY, for the US tour, there was no RAH church organ at Reunion Arena.... You say DW "is some of the best stuff Page's done outside Zep". That thought has never crossed my mind Boleskinner. Page's musical performance was the low point of the concert. It wasn't awful, just the least best, with Clapton's set in Dallas being supreme, and Beck's very very good.

10 hours ago, JTM said:

If the Death Wish (and Lucifer Rising) soundtrack was anyone other than Page it by now would have disappeared into a black hole never to be heard again. I know because I have it ( the black box thing) it's garbage imho..

Yes, I sent my DW soundtrack LP to that same hole. I thought the movie sucked. I saw it on opening night. I've never wanted to watch it again... just a "B" movie from Bronson.

10 hours ago, JTM said:

I agree that the back-story surrounding Lucifer Rising is far more interesting than the actual music itself, which is more or less a drone intended as background music for a film.

I bought the LP and have listened to it twice. Maybe if I was in to drugs or a necromancer it would get more regular spins ;-)

However, I think there is some really interesting work on DW, especially the innovative use of the synth guitar.

Some of the pieces are genuinely creepy and there's also some nice work outs like Jam Sandwich.

The title tune is good as well when you remove Farlowe's over the top vocals and hear as it was in the movie.

Overall, I think it is a good album and as I have said before, I wish Page had done more avant garde soundtracks and left rock behind for a bit.

The only way was sideways or down after Zeppelin. 

So to dismiss both as "garbage" is a bit harsh, but each to their own.

7 hours ago, The Rover said:

So, you don't deliver what you should at the Garden, just whatever gets everyone bouncing. Yeah, that sounds real professional.

He did deliver Led Zeppelin classics in Philly about 18 months later...and it sucked.

11 hours ago, The Rover said:

So, you don't deliver what you should at the Garden, just whatever gets everyone bouncing. Yeah, that sounds real professional. 

Okay, clearly it didn't get a great reception out of YOU, that's your right.  My point is that he got an incredible reception on the whole.  I also thought it was brave of him NOT to lean on Zeppelin at the time but that's just my opinion.

2 hours ago, mstork said:

Okay, clearly it didn't get a great reception out of YOU, that's your right.  My point is that he got an incredible reception on the whole.  I also thought it was brave of him NOT to lean on Zeppelin at the time but that's just my opinion.

One of the very few times since 1968 this was the case! 

5 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

One of the very few times since 1968 this was the case! 

I think some forget (I know you don't) that outside of STH at ARMS, neither Jimmy nor Robert regularly played any Zep in their sets until 1988.  It was a big decision and a big deal when they both played Zep tunes on their respective solo tours that year, eight long years after the band broke up...

12 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

He did deliver Led Zeppelin classics in Philly about 18 months later...and it sucked.

And, that Atlantic 40th Reunion was not a standout either. And they're always got a bucketload of excuses why the performance didn't turn out the way it did in practice.

Heard the same about the MTV Unledded taping.

39 minutes ago, The Rover said:

And, that Atlantic 40th Reunion was not a standout either. And they're always got a bucketload of excuses why the performance didn't turn out the way it did in practice.

Heard the same about the MTV Unledded taping.

I haven't heard any criticisms about the MTV Unledded taping...but we can start.

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I haven't heard any criticisms about the MTV Unledded taping...but we can start.

I remember Robert saying that Jimmy nailed SIBLY in practice. However good it was for the taping, Robert thought the practice one was better enough to mention it. Don't have the exact reference though.

Archived