Is Jimmy Page done making music?

11 hours ago, The Rover said:

I remember Robert saying that Jimmy nailed SIBLY in practice. However good it was for the taping, Robert thought the practice one was better enough to mention it. Don't have the exact reference though.

It's funny, I was a little disappointed in his performance on SIBLY on Unledded because at that time the fiery Song Remains The Same version was burned on my brain.  Listening to it now I think it's great and tasteful.

On 2/14/2017 at 9:00 AM, IpMan said:

If Jimmy is done then he needs to get his wrinkled ass in gear and start releasing quality live recordings. One of the defining characteristics of the Zep fan base is the insatiable desire for quality live official releases. At least throw us that bone Jimmy. 

+1 :goodpost:

On 5/4/2017 at 8:14 AM, JTM said:

If the Death Wish (and Lucifer Rising) soundtrack was anyone other than Page it by now would have disappeared into a black hole never to be heard again. I know because I have it ( the black box thing) it's garbage imho..

Lucifer rising is total garabe; drugged out nonsense aimed at the whole "lets create mystery" crap.  A 5 year old could have made that.  

Is the film any better though? Anger was very critical of Page at the time, but at least Page produced something that was eventually (sort of) released. The actual film as far as I know, was never released.

15 hours ago, 76229 said:

Is the film any better though? Anger was very critical of Page at the time, but at least Page produced something that was eventually (sort of) released. The actual film as far as I know, was never released.

It's been released many times in many different ways. I first purchased it on an official, commercially-released VHS (Magick Lantern label) from Tower Records in Piccadilly Circus, London, about 22 years ago. Personally, I enjoy the film because it's very esoteric.  

On 5/6/2017 at 11:33 AM, mstork said:

It's funny, I was a little disappointed in his performance on SIBLY on Unledded because at that time the fiery Song Remains The Same version was burned on my brain.  Listening to it now I think it's great and tasteful.

TSRTS SIBLY is the one that's still burning in my soul...

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, SteveAJones said:

I haven't heard any criticisms about the MTV Unledded taping...but we can start.

pffft...  of all the commercial laydowns ever oh wait you meant performance wise.  It was Zeppelin lite. And did a reissue. And redid the tracks and a title. And did a 10yr commemorative DVD and donated $$$ to LiveAid. And... included different tracks and....ouch. SMH.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:09 PM, The Rover said:

And, that Atlantic 40th Reunion was not a standout either. And they're always got a bucketload of excuses why the performance didn't turn out the way it did in practice.

Heard the same about the MTV Unledded taping.

The Atlantic 40th was fantastic unless you were not there. The HBO broadcast sound guy was not running the live sound.

2 hours ago, Dallas Knebs said:

pffft...  of all the commercial laydowns ever oh wait you meant performance wise.  It was Zeppelin lite. And did a reissue. And redid the tracks and a title. And did a 10yr commemorative DVD and donated $$$ to LiveAid. And... included different tracks and....ouch. SMH.

The Atlantic 40th was fantastic unless you were not there. The HBO broadcast sound guy was not running the live sound.

Well, as you know Page/Plant on MTV Unledded was a VERY BIG DEAL at the time. My only regret is that is wasn't recorded the following summer, when they were supremely confident they were following the right path together. 

Granted the HBO sound crew was not running the live sound for the Atlantic 40th, and personally I like the performance, but that sticky-fingered solo in Heartbreaker was embarrassing.

I always thought that Jack White and Page would have collaborated together—they seem like a perfect fit.

White is always ultra complementary about Page, and more importantly they seemed to have a genuine respect for each other when they appeared on-screen together in It might get loud.

Add that White sings and his whole retro approach to music/vinyl and it would appear to be the perfect fit.

I can only assume that White has never asked Page about a collaboration, or for some reason he declined.

On 5/7/2017 at 11:35 PM, Dallas Knebs said:

Oh yeah Knebs, I know about the "being there" factor at any Led Zeppelin performance... So I'll gladly take your word for it! Many who were at Knebworth, saw they were enthralled by the performance. All I have is the video, and that's not being there.

I snicker when I read how many diss the entire '77 US Tour as somehow unworthy. I was there, and the '77 Houston & Ft. Worth shows were magical to experience in person.

33 minutes ago, The Rover said:

'77 Houston & Ft. Worth shows were magical to experience in person.

I know this photographer that was at the Summit...

Texas is well represented on this board ya?  I get sad and happy both when I hear of these experiences.  Sad I didn't get to go, happy that you did !!!

I saw a study that "hearing" is more complex than our ears- it is a perception that involves the vibrations thru our skin and bones matched against what we see.  These dimensions cannot convey thru a soundboard and especially not thru an mp3 scraping thru a handheld device from YouTube.

Loved The Summit as a venue, you felt the music as much as you heard it.  Knebworth was unreal.  From the front you could hear the sound go to the back and carry the length of the grounds. The first note of TSRTS cracked from the front to the back and out to the sides like a small sonic boom.  Can't hear that even on the best remastered source.  It was still going when the drums and bass hit the next note.  I heard the drums and bass as much thru my feet as my ears.

As much as people ragged on Reunion Arena thru the years about its rolling bass wave, some of the best music I ever "heard" was there.  Maybe the best vocal performance ever was The ARMS Concerts. Unmatched.  When I listen to the soundboards it is really flat and muddy.  Poor representation of how it was.

Jimmy said during the promotional interviews......that he now has a "stockpile of material" of his own stuff and that now he is going to focus on that. Retired or not...thank god for the catching up of releasing led zeppelin hard copy material, like every other famous band or artist. 

On 5/10/2017 at 9:32 AM, Dallas Knebs said:

As much as people ragged on Reunion Arena thru the years about its rolling bass wave, some of the best music I ever "heard" was there.  Maybe the best vocal performance ever was The ARMS Concerts. Unmatched.  When I listen to the soundboards it is really flat and muddy.  Poor representation of how it was.

In early September 1980, I sent a letter from Dallas to the UK Swan Song offices. I included a postcard that had a nice picture of Reunion Arena on it. I, of course was promoting the new arena for Zeppelin to perform in when they came to America for their 1980-81 US Tour. I also included a crisp new one dollar bill (when a dollar bill sorta meant something then). I got  a Thank You card back from Swan Song acknowledging my letter.

I wanted to promote Dallas's Reunion over Fort Worth's arena, just in case the band only chose to play one city when they came through. I figured as popular as Zeppelin was around here, that they would perform multiple dates. Up until then, DFW had been very lucky to have Zeppelin play in both cities when touring, just 30 miles apart, because the next big city that they might play in was 200-300 miles away.

Of course, I would have loved to have seen Zeppelin play the Cotton Bowl in lieu of Reunion Arena!

13 hours ago, Dallas Knebs said:

The thought of this...

I will front you another dollar and let's both write another letter

The reality, because of their age, at least for electric guitar playing, would be to play only at an indoor facility, like Cowboy Stadium (AT&T Stadium) in Arlington. But, the acoustics inside that thing are really poor for any of the cheap seats. Yeah, they've got those gigantic video screens, but really, at this point, I'd opt for anyplace in the entire stadium, that was the acoustic "sweet spot" for a rock show, over any other consideration. And, I know it's along hike to the bathrooms, so that's what adult Depends are for.... I've paid a lot to see this show, and I want to enjoy it all !! :P

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

The reality is this is all a waste of time. <yawn> Can't wait for The Rolling Stones TOUR to start.

I agree.

The more interesting debate for me is WHY has Page not released anything new since 1998.

We've all got our own pet theories and have been around the houses on this forum.

I suspect that only Page, his gf and a few others trusted aides know the truth.

As I said before, his gf is probably the only person who gets to hear him play these days.

I'm surprised she hasn't cajoled him into playing some eerie soundscapes to accompany her poetry readings. 

Saw a photo of Noel Gallagher with Page at the Floyd exhibition. I'm sure brazen Noel asked him why he wasn't releasing anything new or performing anymore.

51 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

The more interesting debate for me is WHY has Page not released anything new since 1998.

If Plant had agreed to a reunion tour in 2008 Page would have played every hockey arena in the world twice by now. Of course, Plant didn't so Page hasn't. So now you see what happens when an unmotivated artist is under self-management: NOTHING!  

Given that even the "Avril Lavigne is dead / replaced by a lookalike" conspiracy theory has resurfaced today, I'm surprised no one on the 'net has yet come up with an entertainingly loony theory for why Page hasn't been playing live. It needs to involve alien abduction, the Illuminati & the masons. Come on internet, you're letting us down...

1 hour ago, 76229 said:

Given that even the "Avril Lavigne is dead / replaced by a lookalike" conspiracy theory has resurfaced today, I'm surprised no one on the 'net has yet come up with an entertainingly loony theory for why Page hasn't been playing live. It needs to involve alien abduction, the Illuminati & the masons. Come on internet, you're letting us down...

Well, I wasn't going to spill the beans but I do see the need to dispel any conspiracy theories. So I'm going to give it to you the truth and nothing but the truth. I fully realize this is going to cause an uproar in the rock world but the time has come to set the record straight. The real reason Jimmy Page has only delivered one concert length performance since September 2000 is RONNIE WOOD.

RONNIE WOOD formed Led Zeppelin in early 1968, a fact he mentions in his book. However, Ronnie didn't want to be in two bands at the same time so he graciously allowed Page to take leadership of the band in Summer 1968. However, and this is the startling truth -- Ronnie Wood continued writing songs for Led Zeppelin when he could. Stairway to Heaven, Immigrant Song and so many more are actually all Ronnie Wood compositions.

Some here may recall the rumors in 1975 that Page was to join The Rolling Stones. Of course, we all know it was Ronnie Wood who ultimately did so. What most don't know is the reason why Wood joined the Stones is because Jimmy Page did not want a second guitarist in Led Zeppelin at the time. Ronnie agreed to this because, again, he didn't want to be in two big bands at the same time, and he felt the Stones needed him more than Led Zeppelin.

Wood's involvement in Led Zeppelin gradually diminished over the next few years, ending in 1980, but it was still his band. To anyone who doubts this is the fact of the matter, ask yourself why RONNIE WOOD was listed as an opening act for the 02 reunion show. I'll tell you why and that is because it was a wink and nod to the band's true history.

As to why Page has not delivered a concert length performance since then, it is simply because Ronnie Wood asked him to focus on Led Zeppelin remasters and reissues while Ronnie tours the world for the umpteenth time, and Jimmy agreed. 

When Jimmy began touring with The Firm in 1984, he had already become infected with the mindset that Zeppelin music was "Dinosaur Rock". Page's commitment to performing his music, from Led Zeppelin, has ebbed and flowed over the decades.

I have no idea what Mr. Page's commitment to performing Zeppelin music is today.

As to any "new" music... I'll leave that to be looked into by others.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Box of Jimmy's said:

2017....half way done.  No word from Jimmy.....No interviews, nothing......and few have noticed  

I think most people on this forum are well aware of that, but after years of false promises from Page, they don't expect anything, and have sort of mentally given up on the whole thing.

I just find it sad that a guy of his talent, hasn't produced anything new music since WIC in 1998.

It's his choice, but please stop with the "next year I'll be"...rhetoric, Jimmy.

It's not doing you any favours.

There's a vid just popped up on YouTube of Clapton playing at the Royal Albert Hall. He's returned to the stage even after his problems with neuropathy, giving his fans a chance to see him live. Meanwhile, we can't see our favourite guitarist on stage except giving out awards etc.

Archived