Is Jimmy Page done making music?

I still say Jimmy will never "star" again in any musical capacity. He'll have other guitarists onstage, and maybe he'll play a few rhythm parts. Which some, obviously, would be ecstatic about. 'Cause, you know, it's Jimmy Page !!

Jimmy and Zeppelin management really dropped the ball by not filming and releasing some of the better concerts on EACH tour. If they didn't know they were making magic onstage each night, then I don't know what to tell them. Legacy... Record Sales and Awards ??? Really... Can't fix broken. 

I just expected more from the World's Greatest Band.

I expect nothing musically from Jimmy Page. I can't afford the drugs it would take to experience Nirvana with each post Zeppelin JP release.

I've noticed a distinct lack of  new Jimmy interviews and guitar magazine covers lately, he seems to have gone quiet.  In the old days I would have assumed he's up to something, writing, recording, etc.  He allegedly told someone in NY at one of Scarlett's poetry readings that he's been in "rehearsals" lately, so who knows...

19 minutes ago, mstork said:

I've noticed a distinct lack of  new Jimmy interviews and guitar magazine covers lately, he seems to have gone quiet.  In the old days I would have assumed he's up to something, writing, recording, etc.  He allegedly told someone in NY at one of Scarlett's poetry readings that he's been in "rehearsals" lately, so who knows...

Seems to me The Yardbirds release should have hit the shelves by now but whatever. Regardless of what he may or may not have said in NYC, Page has less than zero credibility when it comes to his solo endeavors.

1 hour ago, mstork said:

there's no reason for him to be on magazine covers etc at the moment as he hasn't anything to promote.

its probably just as well anyway as he's said nothing new for years, he just trots out the usual lines and makes ridiculous claims about getting ready to "be seen to be playing" or recording a new album. I gave up buying magazines with him on the front quite a while ago as I got fed up of paying a lot of money to read the same old lines

6 hours ago, mstork said:

I've noticed a distinct lack of  new Jimmy interviews and guitar magazine covers lately...

Well, you know, that there's a 3 month lead to most magazine covers. But that said, fo there's nothing to report, then 3 months, 6 months.... it doesn't matter.

On 6/17/2017 at 6:05 PM, Boleskinner said:

I think most people on this forum are well aware of that, but after years of false promises from Page, they don't expect anything, and have sort of mentally given up on the whole thing.

I just find it sad that a guy of his talent, hasn't produced anything new music since WIC in 1998.

It's his choice, but please stop with the "next year I'll be"...rhetoric, Jimmy.

It's not doing you any favours.

Its certainly sad that he never "recovered" from the 70'; from Zeppelin  and very peculiar, like you mentioned, all of his promises.....then nothing. It is a complete waste of talent, but as fans we can remember the past without wanting to relive it and one way to do that is to move on and find new bands to fall in love with.  

My feeling is that for Jimmy Page there is no more JOY in recording new music or touring. There are no musical challenges to be pursued that would warrant the stresses and strains of being told you're not as good as you once were ; asked redundant questions about Crowley, Lori, drug abuse, why did you rip off Stairway and other accusations of plagiarism. Let alone the temptations and depleting effects of touring.

Read about Elvis Presley or Roy Orbison at the end of their careers. Roy was overworked to death and Elvis just self immolated. The music business is a killer

Jimmy Page gave up that lifestyle to survive. I'm happy for him.

1 hour ago, Chicago said:

My feeling is that for Jimmy Page there is no more JOY in recording new music or touring. There are no musical challenges to be pursued that would warrant the stresses and strains of being told you're not as good as you once were ; asked redundant questions about Crowley, Lori, drug abuse, why did you rip off Stairway and other accusations of plagiarism. Let alone the temptations and depleting effects of touring.

Read about Elvis Presley or Roy Orbison at the end of their careers. Roy was overworked to death and Elvis just self immolated. The music business is a killer

Jimmy page has every right to retire from recording and from performing. He's earned that, and, he should just say so, announce his retirement.

But to keep hinting that "something's in the works" gives everyone the right to speculate on all aspects of what he is and is not doing.

I, for one, am not encouraging Jimmy to "get out there and 'do something'".

I did that in 1983, but that was over -30- years ago...

9 hours ago, jsj said:

yep. fair play to him. he doesn't owe anyone anything so why he keeps making ridiculous claims baffles me

I wonder if it's more about some glimmer of hope in his mind that he will work with Robert and John Paul again, coupled with not wanting to say he's done as an artist. I would rather he say nothing than empty promises. I have no expectations of any of them giving us new music. If they do, great if not, that's okay too. They owe us nothing and their legacy will live on.

11 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Seems to me The Yardbirds release should have hit the shelves by now but whatever. Regardless of what he may or may not have said in NYC, Page has less than zero credibility when it comes to his solo endeavors.

Hard to argue, Steve.  I'm not as cynical about it as you are but I totally get it,

10 hours ago, jsj said:

there's no reason for him to be on magazine covers etc at the moment as he hasn't anything to promote.

Well I remember a big cover and story in Guitar World for the 40th anniversary of Led Zep III.  "Nothing to promote" hasn't kept him and GW from collaborating in the past!

3 hours ago, Chicago said:

Very well said. The Orbison angle is sonething Jimmy himself has talked about in interviews, the idea that the record company basically worked him to death.

There is one thing perhaps that Steve A. said a while back which may in fact be a bigger factor than most think. I don't know

for how long beyond six or seven years. But Jimmy....apparently has not had a manager for a long time. For a rock star of 

Jimmy's stature, this is practically preposterous and just as unbelieveable. I can't see in his head, but Jimmy is cheap and 

maybe doesn't want to shell out $200,000 or more( I know nothing of typical rock star manager salaries) for a manager to

be a liason for gigs, auditions, and other matters to allow the musician in question to concentrate on their music. Jimmy is 

basically introverted and shy and even for the formation of the Firm for example he was often quiet  and hardly forceful as 

some of the auditioners' noted. Jimmy is free to do what he wants, but Jimi Hendrix had left a legendary mark as well, what

if he had lived and just stopped playing ?he had been ripped off at times, and of course Jimi was young and Page is now

old, but although there is no obligation as such, so many still want to see Jimmy play. Jimmy is old, but the live interviews

etc., Jimmy was very sharp and his eyes and body language were of someone much younger. I would say, Jimmy may 

very well be spending much time lost with his kids and grandkids., and that is a very good reason for putting the music

aside. He may feel guilty, all the years of being out of his head.

9 hours ago, mstork said:

Well I remember a big cover and story in Guitar World for the 40th anniversary of Led Zep III.  "Nothing to promote" hasn't kept him and GW from collaborating in the past!

Brad Tolinski is one of the few music publishers he trusts, and Tolinski is always glad to oblige with cover stories and softball questions. 

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Brad Tolinski is one of the few music publishers he trusts, and Tolinski is always glad to oblige with cover stories and softball questions. 

Although wasn't Jimmy a little peeved that Tolinski packaged all his Jimmy interviews and sold them as a book?

I read GW, not sure if Tolinski did 40th anniverse with Presence ? Great album, but besides Achilles and NFBM, rest of

the tracks somewhat obscure even to guitar players. Jimmy actually got pissed with the Tolinski book ? Never heard that,

but wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised. Jimmy got rankled a bit at Jonesy for not telling /inviting concerning the Them 

Crooked Vultures band. WTF ???? Despite Jimmy being "retired", IMO this shows that Jimmy somewhere in his mind

still wants to play, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten unreasonably upset with the TCV thing. After Zep, Jimmy fired

Peter Grant( so he says, what about Jones and Plant), but still had some sort of manager. I remember from the Hoskins

or Wall book Jimmy eventually said " I need help. I want to put a band together". That became the Firm. But even having

currently no manager, Jimmy is not showing up seriously at any jams, nor taking ANY invites, many likely not publicized

So, caught in this black hole of hope, FORGET it. Maybe Jimmy's girlfriend will push Jim................

• 3 weeks later...

Done completely?  Forever?  I doubt it.  I think as long as Page is healthy he will eventually feel the call to make music in some way.  Of course, a Zeppelin return in any meaningful way is a million to 1 shot.  But Page may decide to record solo again or appear with others once in a while.  He's in his 70s so anything arduous could be out.  But he may still make some tunes and we'll all be happy for it.

Well we just had the Thunderbirds release in April. Next up, he's been saying, is the Yardbirds project which I'm sure will involve "Knowing that I'm Losing You" (the original Tangerine) as well as "Spanish Blood", "Avron Knows", "Think About It", and hopefully a few things no one has heard yet (at least that's what he said). Anderson Theater is something Steve and others have mentioned, but weren't the masters destroyed in the 1970s?  There are better shows -- both nights at the Shrine in L.A. 5/31 and 6/1 1968 are better than Anderson. Maybe he has others?  

Of course anything having to do with the Yardbirds involves Jim and Chris and Jane Relf, I would think. I'm really looking forward to this, as the world needs one last definitive Yardbirds statement, one that reflects the incredible album that should have happened in 1968 but did not. Of Course, Led Zeppelin I represented about half of what it would have been and then some, but every germ of complete-ist nature says there's historical imperative for the whole album - plus some live things. Fingers crossed!

• 4 weeks later...

I have noticed that, in the MGM re-boot of Death Wish, with Bruce Willis, coming out this Fall, that there's no mention of Jimmy Page. Instead there's AC/DC's "Back in Black" (why not "Shoot to Thrill" ??) on the trailer, and Music Composer Ludwig Göransson listed in the IMDB credits.

http://deathwish.movie/

3 hours ago, The Rover said:

I have noticed that, in the MGM re-boot of Death Wish, with Bruce Willis, coming out this Fall, that there's no mention of Jimmy Page. Instead there's AC/DC's "Back in Black" (why not "Shoot to Thrill" ??) on the trailer, and Music Composer Ludwig Göransson listed in the IMDB credits.

http://deathwish.movie/

I'll give this DW reboot a go, it looks worth a watch. Anyway why would there be a mention of JP, as for AC/DC BiB is far superior to StT ,  imo.

2 hours ago, JTM said:

I'll give this DW reboot a go, it looks worth a watch. Anyway why would there be a mention of JP, as for AC/DC BiB is far superior to StT ,  imo.

There would be no reason to mention JP, unless he was associated with making music for this reboot. And so, there is your story. JP was not asked to contribute for this reboot, and/or he declined to contribute...

Archived