Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ThreeSticks

Led Zeppelin in the months following Bonzo's passing

151 posts in this topic

On 03/18/2017 at 1:42 AM, Mook said:

Some of the top selling LPs in 1980 were The Wall (Pink Floyd), Emotional Rescue (Rolling Stones), The Game (Queen) & Back in Black (AC/DC) so there were plenty of 70s rockers doing well for themselves going into the 80s.

Also worth point out that Deep Purple split up between '76 & '84 & writing off punk rockers as 'poorly educated' is a bit of a sweeping generalisation when a lot of them came out of art schools.

Having said that, I'm of the opinion that some things belong in a certain time & place & I would apply that to Led Zeppelin & the 1970s, I think it's for the best that they broke up & left a pretty untarnished reputation musically.

Poorly educated Punk rockers was perhaps a general statement. Yes, many were well educated but they liked to give the impression they were uneducated and stifled by the constraints of middle upper class, to appeal to those that actually were. Punk was about giving the finger to establishment, and you couldn't get away with that if you were born from/into the establishment. That is my understanding of English punk anyway. Apparently England in the late 70's was the wrong time to be bragging about being rich and educated - Thatcher recession?

American punk was just about having a good time, English punk was to prove a point (more or less), and that having a chip on your shoulder was a valid excuse for being a teenager. Punk was also about that you didn't have to be an indulgent musical virtuoso (Page, Blackmore) to be in a band.

The stated rock bands were just 'general examples': the point being that to progress into the eighties you had to somewhat alter your sound and image, which those bands that were successful did just that. Compare the Stones, Queen, Pink Floyd etc, their early work to their later work and it is obvious they grew and adapted to the times.