Robert Plant to perform with violinist Nigel Kennedy at the Royal Albert Hall on March 14

Cookie0024

Full release from the Royal Albert Hall below. Ticket link is here.

Robert Plant, Jean-Luc Ponty and more confirmed for Nigel Kennedy show

Rock legend Robert Plant and pioneering jazz violinist Jean-Luc Ponty will join Nigel Kennedy for a once-in-a-lifetime performance at the Royal Albert Hall next month.

The Led Zeppelin vocalist and jazz-rock virtuoso are among the high-profile stars confirmed to appear with legendary violinist Kennedy as he headlines the venue's Love Classical festival on Tuesday 14 March.

Other guests announced today include renowned violinists Michael Guttman and Pieter Daniel, Bulgarian gadulka player Georgi Andreev, and Kennedy's own ensemble, the Orchestra of Life.

Nigel Kennedy said: "This is shaping up to be an amazing concert. Planty is a genuine rock legend and a true musical trailblazer. He's always pushing and challenging himself and immersing himself in music. When we work together it's a combination of power and creativity.
"The other guests are incredible too. Jean-Luc Ponty is a genius, one of the greatest in jazz ever, an innovator with a unique visionary spin. Then we’ve got Georgi over from Bulgaria, which will be special. What drags me into his music so successfully is his honesty and sincerity.
"I’ll have a strong relationship with everyone on that stage, it won’t just be some generic orchestra. That’s what music gives you, it gives you killa friends."
Lucy Noble, Artistic Director at the Royal Albert Hall said fans would be wowed by the teaming of Kennedy and Plant on two very special songs. "We're incredibly excited to be announcing this amazing collaboration between one of Britain's greatest rock legends and a violinist who has spent his career pushing the boundaries of his art, creating incredible music that breaks down the boundaries between genres," she said.

"This meeting of two of our most acclaimed musicians promises to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and with the likes of Jean Luc Ponty also confirmed for this gala celebration, it's destined to be an incredible night. If you didn't already think that Nigel Kennedy's show was unmissable, it is now."

Robert Plant made unforgettable appearances with Led Zeppelin in 1969 and '70 at the iconic London venue, later returning as a solo headliner. He first worked with Kennedy on his album 'Fate of Nations' in 1993.

The exact details of Nigel Kennedy and Friends: Gala Celebration are being kept under wraps, but the show is expected to include Bach, Vivaldi, jazz, world music and a tribute to Jimi Hendrix, who made his first appearance at the Royal Albert Hall 40 years ago.

Love Classical runs from 4-17 March and includes headline shows from Kennedy, celebrated pianist Lang Lang, and Classic BRIT-winner, Alison Balsom, among the 21 shows across seven spaces.

For more information, or to buy tickets, go to www.royalalberthall.com.

If Hendrix made his first appearance at the RAH 40 years ago he did so as a corpse. I believe, short of some Walking Dead shit, that they meant 50 years ago.

Sorry, had to point that out. 

All in all though, sure wish I could be there, sounds like a right fine time.

• 4 weeks later...

Got a kick out of that in a good way. The band played it quite like the Unledded version and Robert was off cue with his lyrics and laughing. Not sure if he expected it to be so much like the Unledded version, almost like it threw him off guard like the part when it went into Black Dog. Liked the look on his face throughout the song. All in a good spirit, enjoyed this.

Ah great stuff to hear, thanks for sharing. Must've been wonderful to have been there. Fair play to auld grandpappy Planty still ready to take risks. And there's Justin Adams in the background hammering a bendir.

And check out the violinists really digging it about 09:40 - headbanging classicists! Here's to breaking all barriers between us.

On 20/02/2017 at 2:20 AM, chillumpuffer said:

Always makes me laugh when they say "Led Zeppelin Vocalist". Of course it should be "ex" and as he basically sticks 2 fingers up to his past, he should be announced as vocalist Robert Plant.

Oh and yet again it's in London. So I won't be going. Godawful place 

Haha fuckin hell there you go again mate. Lol. Good on yer - you stick to yer guns. I used to live in Manchester (urmston)....you're better having a pint in the Robin Hood (my old 'local'). 

4 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Haha fuckin hell there you go again mate. Lol. Good on yer - you stick to yer guns. I used to live in Manchester (urmston)....you're better having a pint in the Robin Hood (my old 'local'). 

I am from Manchester myself

Archived