31/8/69 - Best gig of '69

Xolo1974

I listened to this gig again the other night. I have the Liquid Led version which sounds great.

This is an amazing show, absolutely blistering. JP is on fire. Every song that is played is my favourite live version of the song.

i would put it in my top 3 boots with Eddie and Osaka '71....ahead of blueberry hill. Just wondering on everyone's thoughts? 

I really rate this very highly but I'm not sure it gets a lot of love

1 hour ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

Absolutely, they really come out firing too, probably the best Train Kept a Rollin ever, imo.

As far as I'm concerned, best train, best I can't quit you, best d and c (I prefer the shorter, heavier and 'quicker' versions), best you shook me, best hmmt. Perhaps not the best cb (blueberry hill maybe shades it for me) but it's certainly up there. 

How can anyone pick out s best show from the USA Summer 1969 tour.    

It all starts with the famous Newport Jazz Festival and ran all summer long at enormous Festivals down to small clubs.  

The performance at the Schaefer Music Festival in Central Park is an outstanding fun performance.  Same with the Midwest Rock Festival in Wisconsin four days later.  

The Torinto Rockpile shows are a pleasure to hear   

Most of the shows were roughly and hour to 75 minutes.   The flow of the sets were just great.  

Were fortunate to have several recordings from the Texas Pop Festival including the films.  

14 hours ago, Strider said:

It's a killer show and in my list of essential Led Zep boots to have...but it's not the BEST of 1969 in my opinion.

Strider. I've got the short Denmark shows from 69, plus the Fillmore and Frisco shows. Any further recommendations, and what are the sound qualities like? I love the 69 shows I have. They are full of hunger and drive 

19 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Love the intro too...."Ladies and gentlemen....the Led Zeppelin"

"The Led Zepp-A-Lin. " :lol:

17 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

It all starts with the famous Newport Jazz Festival and ran all summer long at enormous Festivals down to small clubs.  

The performance at the Schaefer Music Festival in Central Park is an outstanding fun performance.  Same with the Midwest Rock Festival in Wisconsin four days later.  

Most of the shows were roughly and hour to 75 minutes.   The flow of the sets were just great.  

Were fortunate to have several recordings from the Texas Pop Festival including the films.  

1 hour ago, Xolo1974 said:

Strider. I've got the short Denmark shows from 69, plus the Fillmore and Frisco shows. Any further recommendations, and what are the sound qualities like? I love the 69 shows I have. They are full of hunger and drive 

Sticks of Fire indeed named some of the best. The Milwaukee show has always been one of my favorite 'obscure gems'. Stroll On! by TDoLZ is a good version.

1 hour ago, Xolo1974 said:

You HAVE to get the 1/26/69 Boston Tea Party show. Sound quality is a little rough (Page is loud and clear, everyone else is a little buried), but the performance is incredible. I believe this is the gig that was rumored to go over four hours (only 90 minutes is captured here). I personally think The Train Kept a Rollin' here is the best performance of it they've ever done (even better than the Texas Pop Festival). Page does an amazing wah-wah intro which I don't believe he does at any other show.

On 2/18/2017 at 3:26 PM, Xolo1974 said:

I recently had to update my "Essential Led Zeppelin Boots" list. I hadn't made one since around 2000 and obviously new shows and sources have popped up since then, as well as the band releasing shows in an official capacity.

Since the Danish TV and October 10, 1969 Paris L'Olympia shows have been officially released, I have not included them on my updated list. Here are the 1968-69 shows on my list of 50 Essential Led Zeppelin shows to have:

12.30.68 Gonzaga, Washington (average sound...but it's a historic show as it is the first tape we have of Led Zeppelin)

1.5.69 Whisky a Go Go, Hollywood (fairly good soundboard for its time)

1.10.69 Fillmore West, SF (above average to good sound)

1.11.69 Fillmore West, SF (good early soundboard...Dazed and Confused is amazing)

1.26.69 Boston Tea Party, Boston (good audience tape...not as great as April Fillmore tapes but better than the Whisky and Toronto shows)

4.24.69 Fillmore West, SF (Great sound...drums and bass especially clear)

4.27.69 Fillmore West, SF (Great all-around sound...vocals and guitar more clear than on 4.24 tape)

8.31.69 Texas International Pop Festival (Great sound)

12.6.69 L'Ecole Centrale, France (Good to very good audience tape)

The 1969 shows I rank higher than the Texas International Pop Festival are 4.27 Fillmore, 1.26 Boston Tea Party, and 12.6 L'Ecole Centrale. 

Other 1969 gigs that are good but missed the cut on my "Essential" list are the Newport Jazz Festival show, all the Toronto gigs, the 10.12 London Lyceum show...and if you don't mind the poor/average sound, the New York Fillmore East gigs of Jan-Feb '69.

10 hours ago, Strider said:

I recently had to update my "Essential Led Zeppelin Boots" list. I hadn't made one since around 2000 and obviously new shows and sources have popped up since then, as well as the band releasing shows in an official capacity.

Since the Danish TV and October 10, 1969 Paris L'Olympia shows have been officially released, I have not included them on my updated list. Here are the 1968-69 shows on my list of 50 Essential Led Zeppelin shows to have:

12.30.68 Gonzaga, Washington (average sound...but it's a historic show as it is the first tape we have of Led Zeppelin)

1.5.69 Whisky a Go Go, Hollywood (fairly good soundboard for its time)

1.10.69 Fillmore West, SF (above average to good sound)

1.11.69 Fillmore West, SF (good early soundboard...Dazed and Confused is amazing)

1.26.69 Boston Tea Party, Boston (good audience tape...not as great as April Fillmore tapes but better than the Whisky and Toronto shows)

4.24.69 Fillmore West, SF (Great sound...drums and bass especially clear)

4.27.69 Fillmore West, SF (Great all-around sound...vocals and guitar more clear than on 4.24 tape)

8.31.69 Texas International Pop Festival (Great sound)

12.6.69 L'Ecole Centrale, France (Good to very good audience tape)

The 1969 shows I rank higher than the Texas International Pop Festival are 4.27 Fillmore, 1.26 Boston Tea Party, and 12.6 L'Ecole Centrale. 

Other 1969 gigs that are good but missed the cut on my "Essential" list are the Newport Jazz Festival show, all the Toronto gigs, the 10.12 London Lyceum show...and if you don't mind the poor/average sound, the New York Fillmore East gigs of Jan-Feb '69.

Thanks mate. For those that I don't have, I'll certainly check them out. I don't have the L'Ecole Centrale gig for starters 

• 2 months later...
On 2/17/2017 at 11:11 PM, Sticks of Fire said:

Saw the 69 tour here in Vegas at the Ice Palace. I was 13 and it was a monumental night!

14 hours ago, Zepathon said:

Saw the 69 tour here in Vegas at the Ice Palace. I was 13 and it was a monumental night!

Really? Please share your memories with us, there was much controversy about whether this gig even happened, so a first-hand account would be great

I'm currently listening to 1/26/69 and I'm just going to reiterate what I said above: Not only does this have (IMO) the best Train Kept a Rollin' ever, but this is probably the best gig of 1969. Listen to Page at this show. He is EXPLOSIVE throughout. This is one of his all-time best shows, period. And, unlike 8/31/69 or 4/27/69, which feature Plant in a lower voice, this show has him hitting unbelievable highs. Listen to I Can't Quit You Baby, You Shook Me, or Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. Bottom line: you HAVE to get this show. It doesn't matter if the show only lasted 90 minutes or 4 hours. It is just perfect regardless, IMO.

2 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

I'm currently listening to 1/26/69 and I'm just going to reiterate what I said above: Not only does this have (IMO) the best Train Kept a Rollin' ever, but this is probably the best gig of 1969. Listen to Page at this show. He is EXPLOSIVE throughout. This is one of his all-time best shows, period. And, unlike 8/31/69 or 4/27/69, which feature Plant in a lower voice, this show has him hitting unbelievable highs. Listen to I Can't Quit You Baby, You Shook Me, or Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. Bottom line: you HAVE to get this show. It doesn't matter if the show only lasted 90 minutes or 4 hours. It is just perfect regardless, IMO.

I agree with everything here.  And Bonham's Pat's Delight is a real treasure.  One of Bonzo's best.

2 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

HHMT is amazing.   Pure 1969 Zeppelin!

Like @Strider, I'm partial to the 4-27-69 Fillmore show. I think it's incredible - Killing Floor is my favorite ever; Page's guitar intro is (based on the available tape sources anyway) the heaviest he ever played. The whole show is just incredible IMHO and the sound quality of the soundboard is excellent too.

I will admit, though, that I am partial to the sbd sources over the aud sources, so I'm probably giving less weight to some great but so-so sounding shows, e.g. 4-26-69, which is killer.

It's a great show, but for me you just can't beat 1969-04-27, especially the first set (The run from "I Can't Quit You Baby">"As Long As I Have You">"You Shook Me" is so masterfully performed, and it features some of Plant's best vocal abilities). 

Archived