New Mystery Soundboard?

RockDude4492

17 hours ago, greenman said:

I think the 27th is patchy but has some amazing highs, NQ, TU and the opening section of DAC are all amazing and OTHAFA has an interesting solo as well. The 25th I think starts off patchy as well in the opening third but then picks up massively with NQ(maybe not quite as good as the following nights() and stays consistently excellent from that point on with the second best DAC of the tour after the 21st. Really though the Millard recordings of these shows are good enough that I don't think SB's would be that important to have, might well sound worse..

I can see the attraction of the earlier 75 shows(well after the band get back in decent form) and some of those performances like MSG are probably slickier overall than the latter shows yet I just think the band were lacking a bit of inspiration that only really started to emerge again during the second leg of the tour. The 21st to me though has the best of both aspects, consistency AND inspiration.

NQ on the 25th might be my very favorite version, really jazzy and frenzied, even compared to the other WC up-tempo versions.  I would probably take the 24th NQ over the 27th, even though overall the 27th is probably the best of the Forum nights.

53 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

NQ on the 25th might be my very favorite version, really jazzy and frenzied, even compared to the other WC up-tempo versions.  I would probably take the 24th NQ over the 27th, even though overall the 27th is probably the best of the Forum nights.

Really?!  The 27th NQ is my all-time favourite version.

Brilliant news, unexpected. As others have said, 3.21 is probably the best 75 show, and comes in the middle of a very strong run in March of that year. This one should just about close the book on 75; there's academic interest in hearing board tapes from January (if they exist), but from a listening point of view, this is one of the finest shows the band ever played.

9 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

3/27 really has an amazing NQ.   One of the great ones from the 1975 tour like 3/12, 3/17 and 3/21.   

I love 3/27 generally. It's the last night of the tour and Jimmy won't stop playing.

It's also got one of my favourite live moments. In OTHAFA Jimmy misses his cue back in at the end of the solo, but pretends he meant it. Sharp!

5 hours ago, Crimson Avenger said:

I love 3/27 generally. It's the last night of the tour and Jimmy won't stop playing.

It's also got one of my favourite live moments. In OTHAFA Jimmy misses his cue back in at the end of the solo, but pretends he meant it. Sharp!

It really is pretty slick how he pulls it off.

Amazing to think that someone has been sitting on this recording for potentially 40-odd years.

Hoarder, group of private collectors, or did the tapes recently get to someone outside of Jimmy Page.

That aspect of this release is fascinating. 

On 3/7/2017 at 10:54 PM, Walter said:

Oh I don't know, maybe because I have a life and don't go searching for every zeppelin show on the web, owning 100+shows already, including the aforementioned 28th and 3rd shows.

Wow. 100 LZ shows and a life.  Congratulations! 

Since you couldn't figure it out, i'll let you in on a secret. There's probably more than a couple people here who feel fanatical LZ collecting is time very well spent.

I haven't forgotten the time, energy & postage I spent trading tapes through the mail so I could hear new Zep.  I'll always happily welcome any new recording that comes along.  Bring 'em on.

3 minutes ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Wow. 100 LZ shows and a life.  Congratulations! 

Since you couldn't figure it out, i'll let you in on a secret. There's probably more than a couple people here who feel fanatical LZ collecting is time very well spent.

I haven't forgotten the time, energy & postage I spent trading tapes through the mail so I could hear new Zep.  I'll always happily welcome any new recording that comes along.  Bring 'em on.

Yeah, that's over 30 years collecting, so maintaining a life has not been a chore.

Obviously your reading comprehension skills are not up to par. 

More power to you, your fanatical collecting skills, and your douched bag commentary.

As was said earlier, looking toward to the new release as it will be fresh to my ears!

33 minutes ago, Walter said:

As was said earlier, looking toward to the new release as it will be fresh to my ears!

I'm just going to add to the chorus of voices here to say you're in for a real treat! For '75, it really doesn't get any better than this. Whole show smokes from beginning to end. Enjoy it when it comes! :)

17 hours ago, Crimson Avenger said:

LOL, thats awesome. And the solo is BOSS. Heavy. I'll need to give this whole thing a run.

19 hours ago, Crimson Avenger said:

Brilliant news, unexpected. As others have said, 3.21 is probably the best 75 show, and comes in the middle of a very strong run in March of that year. This one should just about close the book on 75; there's academic interest in hearing board tapes from January (if they exist), but from a listening point of view, this is one of the finest shows the band ever played.

There should be more than academic interest in January 1975 board tapes.

1. Start with the Rotterdam/Brussels shows. This was before Plant got the flu and Page broke his finger. So any Zeppelin fan I think would be interested in hearing how the band sounded before those two calamities befell the band at the start of the U.S. tour.

2. The January setlists are unique in having a fifth PG song, "The Wanton Song", and "When the Levee Breaks" performed for the only time in Led Zeppelin history. Plus the return of "How Many More Times" with the bow section for the first time since 1969.

These are historic shows and soundboards would do wonders in giving people a chance to rethink their position on the early 1975 leg.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

1. Start with the Rotterdam/Brussels shows. This was before Plant got the flu and Page broke his finger. So any Zeppelin fan I think would be interested in hearing how the band sounded before those two calamities befell the band at the start of the U.S. tour.

2. The January setlists are unique in having a fifth PG song, "The Wanton Song", and "When the Levee Breaks" performed for the only time in Led Zeppelin history. Plus the return of "How Many More Times" with the bow section for the first time since 1969.

These are historic shows and soundboards would do wonders in giving people a chance to rethink their position on the early 1975 leg.

Strider, completely agree mate. But I reckon these tapes are still in Jimmys vault. Love to hear em though 

On 10/03/2017 at 5:05 PM, Strider said:

Absolutely. Any rare live tracks in soundboard quality are ultra important.

yo, makes me pretty confident we could be getting the complete 3/21/75 soundboard considering they're releasing the last song of the gig as a sampler. Almost everything we have from '75 on soundboard, except 2/16 and 3/5, is complete, minus a missing intro to Rock and Roll here and there, if I remember correctly. B)

On 3/7/2017 at 10:54 PM, Walter said:

Oh I don't know, maybe because I have a life and don't go searching for every zeppelin show on the web, owning 100+shows already, including the aforementioned 28th and 3rd shows. 

Im not really sure why anyone who bashes this forum over at R-O, would come here in the first place.

I don't come here to talk politics. Both forums have their advantages and disadvantages.

God forbid anyone would ever have to search for the 3/21/75 soundboard. :mellow:

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:14 PM, Bonzo_fan said:

Idk, I have a soft-spot for the 27th lol.  I would probably have it in my top 10 favourite shows of all time, not saying it's one of the ten best.  I just think it epitomizes so much of what they stood for--the average song length is almost 15 minutes (3h 45m when you account for cuts, and only 15 songs--subtract a bit for time in-between songs)!

I actually think the '75 Millard tapes are a bit lacking compared to the '77 ones, and having soundboards for those shows would certainly be welcomed by me, particularly because you could make an amazing matrix, and hopefully the soundboard of the 27th would cover up the cuts in the audience tape(s).  '77, on the other hand, I don't think would benefit much from soundboards--I certainly wouldn't listen to the soundboard instead of the Millard tapes, but a matrix could be good.  However, I'm not even sure a matrix would be better than the pure audience recording for the 21st.  The problem is that the soundboard is supposed to help with the bass and drums in a matrix, but as Strider mentioned in another thread recently, the bass and drums don't sound very good on the '77 boards.  They sound fantastic on the '75 boards though, hence a matrix with the '75 Millard's would be killer.

Yeah I do as well, it was actually the first Zep boot I picked up and whilst it was something of a baptism of fire in some respects the second disk especially is one of my most listened to, probably the best ever versions of NQ and TU for me although a better quality version of the 21st might change my mind.

Personally I actually preffer the sound of the 75 Millard shows(at least the last 2 LA shows) but I think that's partly down to the sound of the band and especially Page's guitar tone.

On 10/03/2017 at 9:05 AM, Strider said:

Agree 100%! Only 'academic' in the sense that a lot of people seem understandably punchdrunk with 75 shows. Jan 75 is underrated, as I may have gone on about here before. The Brussels tape shows the band in decent form I reckon.

On 3/10/2017 at 2:05 AM, Strider said:

I must admit those are the only potential '75 soundboards I'm interested in anymore. The January '75 shows are my favourites from that year simply because the setlists are more interesting, before they decided to play it safe and simply rehash the '73 U.S. tour with a smattering of Physical Graffiti added.

6 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

I must admit those are the only potential '75 soundboards I'm interested in anymore. The January '75 shows are my favourites from that year simply because the setlists are more interesting, before they decided to play it safe and simply rehash the '73 U.S. tour with a smattering of Physical Graffiti added.

They were also "cutting the waffle" years before they actually made that statement about the 1980 tour. Jimmy's injury focused him in a way that caused him to pay attention to what he was playing and the way he went about playing it. 

There is a saying..."brevity is the soul of wit". Jimmy's playing on those early shows was the musical expression of that phrase. He was concise yet still eloquent on that leg of the tour.

On 06.03.2017 at 4:16 PM, Bonzo_fan said:

Have you heard the audience recording?

On 06.03.2017 at 7:31 PM, LedElvis75 said:

No kidding.  A Zep fan on a Zep forum who HASN'T heard the 3/21/75 show?

Of course I have. And I think people tend to overprize that show. The band seems to be having fun but performance is still very regular. I hope I'm wrong.

Archived