New Mystery Soundboard?

RockDude4492

This Heartbreaker isn't impeccable like the 2nd night in Long Beach, but it's still highly enjoyable.  As already noted, at this stage of the show, energies were probably running low, esp. given the level of the previous three hours.  I actually don't listen to many '75 Heartbreakers since they generally don't measure up to '73, but I'll listen closer to the audience version to see how it comes across.  Nothing I heard on this sampler song has diminished my excitement for the entire board, however.

39 minutes ago, cosmic_juice said:

I hear ya on the heartbreaker solo... Hes so damn wore out and probably out of it when they pull it out for an encore... Earlier in the show hes killing it but by that time theres not much left in the tank...

The only part of the solo where he is sloppy is the beginning where he does the one-hand pull-offs going up and down the neck, everything else is pretty good. Is it an excellent Heartbreaker? No, I would place it as average but like you said, Page brought it for the rest of the show so the final encore being a bit off in one very small part is no big deal. Plus, it was a long ass show with a 46 min D&C so I am surprise he had anything left in the tank after that!!!

Now if you want ht most awesome-O killer version ever of Heartbreaker, please, let me introduce you to this:

Robert's voice is amazing and Page's tone is nasty as it comes.

Strange that they would put out a pretty average Heartbreaker to promote a CD of a concert that is regarded as one of their best in 75.

I was disappointed after a lot of people saying that this show was a belter, especially with regard to Page consistency.

I guess by the final encore he was spent.

I'll erase this from my memory banks and go into the full soundboard with an open mind.

Sound quality and balance is pretty damn good though.

6 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

Strange that they would put out a pretty average Heartbreaker to promote a CD of a concert that is regarded as one of their best in 75.

I was disappointed after a lot of people saying that this show was a belter, especially with regard to Page consistency.

I guess by the final encore he was spent.

I'll erase this from my memory banks and go into the full soundboard with an open mind.

Sound quality and balance is pretty damn good though.

Because they're skanks. A sampler CD with one teaser track, everything else already available. It's just pure opportunism. I'm curious to hear this but the board sounds dry, needs some EQ and space. I'm sure someone will share a decent remaster. How about a full sbd of Kezar 73? Now that would be amazing. The soundboard fragment sounds really good and it would be amazing to have the whole show in that quality. 

The whole "soundboard revolution" to me has smacked of someone selling of sources one at a time to maximise their earnings, the way the releases have tended to become progressively more sort after to keep interest high. I wouldn't be surprised if EV had to pay a premium for this show given its legendary status and thus are having to string it out to recoop the cost, hence this release.

Its perhaps not the best track of the show performance wise but I'd guess EV went with HB because the encores have only previously been around on the inferior audience source not the higher quality one that covers most of the show.

2 hours ago, greenman said:

The whole "soundboard revolution" to me has smacked of someone selling of sources one at a time to maximise their earnings, the way the releases have tended to become progressively more sort after to keep interest high. I wouldn't be surprised if EV had to pay a premium for this show given its legendary status and thus are having to string it out to recoop the cost, hence this release.

Its perhaps not the best track of the show performance wise but I'd guess EV went with HB because the encores have only previously been around on the inferior audience source not the higher quality one that covers most of the show.

You could be right.

Pretty fascinating about where these soundboards originate from.

Individual private collectors, Showco employees, Jason Bonham, or one guy who has a mountain of tapes?

Someone on this forum must have an inkling?

The LA soundboard run must be somewhere.

They would have know they were great shows.

Although, I imagine the band and crew were pretty wasted for most of that 77 tour.

Can everyone from the past 7 pages elaborate on your definition of sloppy? From the Heartbreaker on the last page from 3/21, where in the song are you referring to sloppy? Minute/second(s). What I call sloppy is 3/20 Heartbreaker. And for the year of 1975 thats not even too sloppy. Y'all need to enjoy and listen to the music more man. Must not be playing it loud enough (where the neighbors can hear it).

On 3/21/2017 at 0:17 PM, Dirty Work said:

Can everyone from the past 7 pages elaborate on your definition of sloppy? From the Heartbreaker on the last page from 3/21, where in the song are you referring to sloppy? Minute/second(s). What I call sloppy is 3/20 Heartbreaker. And for the year of 1975 thats not even too sloppy. Y'all need to enjoy and listen to the music more man. Must not be playing it loud enough (where the neighbors can hear it).

Hey brother, I agree wholeheartedly. The ONLY part of that solo which is sloppy is the one-handed pull-offs / hammer on's which he does at the beginning. The really weird thing is he almost always had a problem doing this since he was always fiddling with the guitar, moving it around above his head at the same time. However, just seconds later he breaks into seriously difficult progressions with ease. Sometime Page's showmanship trumped his execution and I am assuming that the ambient sound of the hall would mask this, thus, he sacrificed steak for sizzle. It just cracks me up because doing the up / down neck pull off's is actually very simple to do...unless the guitar is above your head at which point a simple run becomes anotomically very difficult.

The song as a whole songs great and except for the minor flub as mentioned, the solo is good, not great but good. Considering he just played for three hours, including an exhausting 46 minute D&C and a smoking SIBLY, I am surprise he did as well as he could for a final encore. I tried playing the 10 minute run Page does post-bow solo on TSRTS soundtrack (improv of course, not note for note...no way) before he goes into a different section and the longest I could play at that intensity was six minutes. Again, not note for note, not as fast, nor as good and it was utter exhaustion. How the hell Page played so well, so fast, and so fluid for so long is a testament to his talent. Sure, he could be sloppy at times but when one considers the stamina required to pull off those crazy long solos, a wee bit of slop here and there should not only be forgivable, but expected.

This is the one element people fail to take into consideration. All those 80's era shredders out there we not playing what would be a 46 minute solo, they would solo for maybe three or four minutes max. Or the jams bands like the Dead and Phish do has two or three lead guitarist, not one. Damn, even Judas Priest has two great lead guitarists and they started out as a progressive rock band and they never attempted anything so ambitious.

Just let that sink in for a bit. Machine Gun off of Band of Gypsies is 12 minutes long and Voodoo Chile from Electric Ladyland is 15 min and Hendrix never comes close to the speed Page achieves over a 46 minute solo. Just think about that. The sheer endurance Page subjected himself to in those songs. Not saying a 46 min version of D&C is better than Machine Gun, just pointing out how exhausting and taxing it would be and thus to give a brother some leeway insofar as execution is concerned after playing for 3+ hours.

8 hours ago, IpMan said:

Hey brother, I agree wholeheartedly. The ONLY part of that solo which is sloppy is the one-handed pull-offs / hammer on's which he does at the beginning. The really weird thing is he almost always had a problem doing this since he was always fiddling with the guitar, moving it around above his head at the same time. However, just seconds later he breaks into seriously difficult progressions with ease. Sometime Page's showmanship trumped his execution and I am assuming that the ambient sound of the hall would mask this, thus, he sacrificed steak for sizzle. It just cracks me up because doing the up / down neck pull off's is actually very simple to do...unless the guitar is above your head at which point a simple run becomes anotomically very difficult.

The song as a whole songs great and except for the minor flub as mentioned, the solo is good, not great but good. Considering he just played for three hours, including an exhausting 46 minute D&C and a smoking SIBLY, I am surprise he did as well as he could for a final encore. I tried playing the 10 minute run Page does post-bow solo on TSRTS soundtrack (improv of course, not note for note...no way) before he goes into a different section and the longest I could play at that intensity was six minutes. Again, not note for note, not as fast, nor as good and it was utter exhaustion. How the hell Page played so well, so fast, and so fluid for so long is a testament to his talent. Sure, he could be sloppy at times but when one considers the stamina required to pull off those crazy long solos, a wee bit of slop here and there should not only be forgivable, but expected.

This is the one element people fail to take into consideration. All those 80's era shredders out there we not playing what would be a 46 minute solo, they would solo for maybe three or four minutes max. Or the jams bands like the Dead and Phish do has two or three lead guitarist, not one. Damn, even Judas Priest has two great lead guitarists and they started out as a progressive rock band and they never attempted anything so ambitious.

Just let that sink in for a bit. Machine Gun off of Band of Gypsies is 12 minutes long and Voodoo Chile from Electric Ladyland is 15 min and Hendrix never comes close to the speed Page achieves over a 46 minute solo. Just think about that. The sheer endurance Page subjected himself to in those songs. Not saying a 46 min version of D&C is better than Machine Gun, just pointing out how exhausting and taxing it would be and thus to give a brother some leeway insofar as execution is concerned after playing for 3+ hours.

this is a GREAT post.

Of all the Zeppelin message board posts I've read over the last 18 years I've never seen anyone mention what you hit on above and put into context Page's playing the way you did. 

9 hours ago, IpMan said:

Thank you very much for this.  You put it so well.  another thing that strikes me about the long Page solos is how very different they are and how much variety there is within any one in particular.  I don't know of any other guitarist who plays that many different types of solos that well and who has anywhere near that variety within solos.  The variety in Dazed us utterly amazing.  Then compare that to the long NQs, the 73 Stairways, the 70-72 Immigrant Songs, the 71-73 Celebration Days, the Over the Hills variety, the WLL medlies, the list goes on and on.  I don't are for  note perfect playing that sounds the same on every song.  Those players are so boring.  Page is creative and full of life and energy in his playing.  Unpredictable, exciting.  That is what makes him the best.  Compare the Immigrant songs versions - very different.  Compare 1971 Celebration Day to 1973.  What a difference!  Both tremendously interesting an exciting.   

5 minutes ago, John M said:

Thank you very much for this.  You put it so well.  another thing that strikes me about the long Page solos is how very different they are and how much variety there is within any one in particular.  I don't know of any other guitarist who plays that many different types of solos that well and who has anywhere near that variety within solos.  The variety in Dazed us utterly amazing.  Then compare that to the long NQs, the 73 Stairways, the 70-72 Immigrant Songs, the 71-73 Celebration Days, the Over the Hills variety, the WLL medlies, the list goes on and on.  I don't are for  note perfect playing that sounds the same on every song.  Those players are so boring.  Page is creative and full of life and energy in his playing.  Unpredictable, exciting.  That is what makes him the best.  Compare the Immigrant songs versions - very different.  Compare 1971 Celebration Day to 1973.  What a difference!  Both tremendously interesting an exciting.   

Yep.  Truly is amazing.  Talk about being on a completely different plain than 99.9999999999999999999999% of every other human being that's ever picked up a guitar.  Holy crap.

On 21/03/2017 at 1:51 AM, IpMan said:

The only part of the solo where he is sloppy is the beginning where he does the one-hand pull-offs going up and down the neck, everything else is pretty good. Is it an excellent Heartbreaker? No, I would place it as average but like you said, Page brought it for the rest of the show so the final encore being a bit off in one very small part is no big deal. Plus, it was a long ass show with a 46 min D&C so I am surprise he had anything left in the tank after that!!!

Now if you want ht most awesome-O killer version ever of Heartbreaker, please, let me introduce you to this:

Robert's voice is amazing and Page's tone is nasty as it comes.

Great. Here's another great version. i missed the coach home for this

2 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Great. Here's another great version. i missed the coach home for this

I've never seen Bonham switch to 16th's on the hi-hat like that during the riff--cool!

I don't find any of the Heartbreakers mentioned in this thread to be better than our new 3/21/75 soundboard sampler. But hey, agree to disagree. Sound quality really is the icing on the cake for me, when it comes to '75 soundboards. B)

4 minutes ago, Dirty Work said:

I don't find any of the Heartbreakers mentioned in this thread to be better than our new 3/21/75 soundboard sampler. But hey, agree to disagree. Sound quality really is the icing on the cake for me, when it comes to '75 soundboards. B)

Neither do I, and I agree about the sound quality.

17 hours ago, IpMan said:

Agreed.  Along these lines, I'd point out that the live great jams (20-30 min) in Space Truckin' by Purple involved both keyboard and guitar.

I've compared this HB with the audience recording, and I see no obvious problems that are masked, in fact my opinion has favored, it's a very nice '75 version.  My only complaint is that it sounds a bit rushed and abbreviated, but considering it was the 3rd encore (after Communication Breakdown!), not surprising Page wanted to wrap it up.  This is going to be a killer soundboard. 

1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Agreed.  Along these lines, I'd point out that the live great jams (20-30 min) in Space Truckin' by Purple involved both keyboard and guitar.

I've compared this HB with the audience recording, and I see no obvious problems that are masked, in fact my opinion has favored, it's a very nice '75 version.  My only complaint is that it sounds a bit rushed and abbreviated, but considering it was the 3rd encore (after Communication Breakdown!), not surprising Page wanted to wrap it up.  This is going to be a killer soundboard. 

Don't you mean 4th?

1 hour ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Don't you mean 4th?

Sure.  I tend to count WLL/Black Dog as a single encore in '75 (since they ran together and WLL was usually just a snippet), but yeah, there were indeed four songs (in one form or another) after STH that night.

6 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Sure.  I tend to count WLL/Black Dog as a single encore in '75 (since they ran together and WLL was usually just a snippet), but yeah, there were indeed four songs (in one form or another) after STH that night.

Oh ok, gotcha.  The only reason I count it as two is because by this point in the tour WLL was close to (and this night just past) 10 min.  I definitely count WLL/Rock And Roll as one song in '77.

1 hour ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Oh ok, gotcha.  The only reason I count it as two is because by this point in the tour WLL was close to (and this night just past) 10 min.  I definitely count WLL/Rock And Roll as one song in '77.

Good point, the later West Coast versions did indeed evolve into a piece in their own right.

Good calls. And they're pretty crafty, gotta give them that. Droog was a cool title. This is going to be the 1975 soundboard of all soundboards. The audience recording I think was recorded in a hallway or concourse where it was directly away from nearby audience members. And its clear and unusually loud with bass and middle ranges, Page is much louder on the audience recording. I think Page is a tad low in the mix (3/21 Heartbreaker sample), but thats good, and he comes through clear and definite, but not louder than the other 3. Well balanced but with Jones booming like the 3/17 soundboard. On the latter, unfortunately Page is pretty low in the mix. But he's low in the mix via the 3/17 audience recording as well. Due to Page not being too upfront and balanced with the rest of the band on Heartbreaker's sample, I think everyone's gonna like this one. And if a professional matrix is made of 3/21/75, we might get lightheaded.

1 hour ago, LedElvis75 said:

I can't wait to hear the mad work Bonzo does during D&C.  He pulls off some crazy bass/snare/ride cymbal shit that's going to sound EPIC in this new recording.

Very true--I've managed to semi-mimic it, but not at the same intensity or for nearly as long, as has been mentioned above with respect to Page's playing.

Archived